Poll

What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?

He needed to hit a home run. He totally did.
4 (57.1%)
He needed to hit a home run and he didn't. He got close though.
0 (0%)
He needed a home run and got a hit but that's about it.
1 (14.3%)
He needed a home run and struck out.
0 (0%)
He needed an extra base hit and got it.
1 (14.3%)
He needed an extra base hit and got a single
0 (0%)
He needed an extra base hit and struck out.
0 (0%)
He just needed to get a hit or get on base. He totally did that.
0 (0%)
He needed a hit, and he managed to advance the runner, but didn't get a hit.
1 (14.3%)
He needed a hit and struck out.
0 (0%)
He just needed to not hit into a double play and did that.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?  (Read 4097 times)

What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?
« on: June 26, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Sorta a similar poll as the objective one, but a tad more abstract I suppose.

I think he needed to hit a home run and he didn't. I think like Marcus Smart he got a single, or maybe a stretch double, and a couple more singles, but that's it.

I don't think there were any home runs to be had after the top two picks, so he went swinging for the fences. Danny hasn't drafted well since Avery Bradley in 2010, and he didn't draft well before that since 2004, so I'm not overly optimistic about Jaylen ever being an all star, but I admit Jaylen is a fine prospect and there were no other obvious ones to take.

I would also say if he had traded #3 and #51 or something for Noel/Okafor, Covington, and the late ones that would have been a triple.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:22:43 AM by eja117 »

Re: What did Ainge need to hit in the draft and did he?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It's impossible to tell how he drafted for a couple of years, or at LEAST until we see them play a game

I think he needed to hit a home run and he didn't. I think like Marcus Smart he got a single, or maybe a stretch double, and a couple more singles, but that's it.

I don't think there were any home runs to be had after the top two picks, so he went swinging for the fences. Danny hasn't drafted well since Avery Bradley in 2010, and he didn't draft well before that since 2004, so I'm not overly optimistic about Jaylen ever being an all star, but I admit Jaylen is a fine prospect and there were no other obvious ones to take.

I would also say if he had traded #3 and #51 or something for Noel/Okafor, Covington, and the late ones that would have been a triple.

Apparently, drafting Rondo at 21 was not a good one.  Huh, you learn something new every day
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If he got a double and two singles, isn't that better than a homerun?

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's impossible to tell how he drafted for a couple of years, or at LEAST until we see them play a game

Apparently, drafting Rondo at 21 was not a good one.  Huh, you learn something new every day
Oh right. I forgot. He did very well in 2006 ten years ago.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I would say no, but I see what you're saying. Maybe a double and two singles is better than a home run and strike outs. There is something to be said for quantity over quality.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Avoiding the question I see. Good strategy.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:44:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
One thing about this draft is I hope Ainge is really really really sure that Jaylen will be very very good, because as of now I'm in the Simmons camp of "Why didn't he just trade down and get more assets and still get Jaylen or a comparable player?"

If Jaylen turns out to be the 6th best player in this draft, unless this draft is really really really good generating debate as to the best players, then this draft is a total loss.

If he just gets kinda Batum type player, but there are 4 all stars ahead of him this draft is a total loss.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Avoiding the question I see. Good strategy.

I learned from the best ;)

Not really.  It's hard to judge a draft before we even see any of the people we pick play a game.  Homeruns seems to refer to people that far exceed their draft position, with strikeouts being busts, etc., but these really aren't things you can tell from right after draft night.

Steph Curry and Deandre Jordon didn't look like homeruns the night after the draft, but look at them now.  Or look at Tyreke Evans, who looked like a good pick right after the draft, and a homerun after 1 season, but is now more of a double.  You can go ahead and judge it now, but the draft is a crapshoot and it's all just speculation
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I would say no, but I see what you're saying. Maybe a double and two singles is better than a home run and strike outs. There is something to be said for quantity over quality.

If you don't think a double and two singles are as good or better than a homerun, then you don't know baseball or analogies.  Basically Ainge got us 8 plate appearances this inning.  He is pinch hitting two of those way off into the future but according to you got two singles and a double which is just pure speculation on your part.  He could have struck out six times or hit two singles and four homeruns.  The truth is we won't know for years to come.

But lets go with your assumption that he hit a double and two singles, and Marcus Smart is a single after two years to view him.  Who would be a double and who would be a homerun?  Is Serge Ibaka a double?  If we got him and two more Marcus Smarts we are going to be loaded.  Almost every game I'd see Smart do something on defense I don't think I've ever seen before.  I've never seen a guy just take the ball away from so many other players, just reach in and grab it.  If we get an offensive version of that, or two more defensive versions with how strong, taller, and longer Brown, Zizic, and Bentil look I'd be pretty pleased and we are going to be a really tough out.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

If you don't think a double and two singles are as good or better than a homerun, then you don't know baseball or analogies.  Basically Ainge got us 8 plate appearances this inning.  He is pinch hitting two of those way off into the future but according to you got two singles and a double which is just pure speculation on your part.  He could have struck out six times or hit two singles and four homeruns.  The truth is we won't know for years to come.

But lets go with your assumption that he hit a double and two singles, and Marcus Smart is a single after two years to view him.  Who would be a double and who would be a homerun?  Is Serge Ibaka a double?  If we got him and two more Marcus Smarts we are going to be loaded.  Almost every game I'd see Smart do something on defense I don't think I've ever seen before.  I've never seen a guy just take the ball away from so many other players, just reach in and grab it.  If we get an offensive version of that, or two more defensive versions with how strong, taller, and longer Brown, Zizic, and Bentil look I'd be pretty pleased and we are going to be a really tough out.
But I've also never seen a player shoot so many airballs either.

I know I'm supposed to give some sort of benefit of the doubt to Jaylen and Ainge, and I'm supposed to give at least a year of development to a 19 year old. I know I'm not supposed to have high immediate expectations in this new NBA where players are drafted on potential. But I just don't do what I'm supposed to do. Not when the draft record is so poor.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He needed a fly ball that will make it out in the right park; he got that.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
One thing about this draft is I hope Ainge is really really really sure that Jaylen will be very very good, because as of now I'm in the Simmons camp of "Why didn't he just trade down and get more assets and still get Jaylen or a comparable player?"

If Jaylen turns out to be the 6th best player in this draft, unless this draft is really really really good generating debate as to the best players, then this draft is a total loss.

If he just gets kinda Batum type player, but there are 4 all stars ahead of him this draft is a total loss.

I think Simmons was wrong. Were any teams offering players that would break into our rotation? I'd say Covington wasn't going to play much for us, and even if he did, that means wasting Rozier and Hunter. No one was offering up a starting caliber player that we'd want. We don't need any late firsts. We have too many of those assets already.

The only real question was whether Noel was better for us, even though #3 was an overpay. Apparently Danny thought not.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

What if this draft has six HOF players?  What if Brown is the 6th best player but the 3rd best player drafted by the Celtics?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

What if trading down would have eliminated our cap ability to sign two max free agents? If the option was to trade down for more picks, we had more than enough picks already in this draft.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

What if trading down would have eliminated our cap ability to sign two max free agents? If the option was to trade down for more picks, we had more than enough picks already in this draft.
Two words....Euro...stash.  It's not just for the Spurs and other great teams.