Poll

What did u see as the objective of this year's draft? And did Ainge achieve it?

Make good use of assets. Not take any steps backwards. Aquire BPA
9 (42.9%)
Swing a deal for a star
3 (14.3%)
Swing a deal to take a step forward in development (while maintaining cap space)
5 (23.8%)
Consolidate assets somehow or get future assets
0 (0%)
Other....explain
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: What did u see as the objective of this year's draft? And did Ainge achieve it?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I am solidly on #3. I don't think adding a 19 year old in a two player draft and getting some Euro stashes cuts it at all. I don't think we look like a more attractive team today that we did Wednesday. It seems many other here had very different expectations. I admit the team took no steps backwards, but I think a step sideways is almost as bad.

I suppose it's entirely possible Ainge knows things we don't know. Maybe Jordan Mickey has pulled off some miracle in his development and is just going to be a beast or maybe he got advice from the Durant camp like "Don't pull a trade for Okafor or Noel. We hate those guys."

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
In terms of just the draft (and not the other parts of the offseason), I think DA's primary objective was to try and hit a home run deal (like land Jimmy Butler for a more than reasonable price) but if not, it was to maintain flexibility to be able to sign 2 big FA's (eg Durant + Horford).

I think he's done that. He picked Jaylen Brown who could contribute right away, and he picked some stashable players in the 1st round where contracts are guaranteed. We have a ton of flexibility for the next stage of the offseason.

- LilRip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In terms of just the draft (and not the other parts of the offseason), I think DA's primary objective was to try and hit a home run deal (like land Jimmy Butler for a more than reasonable price) but if not, it was to maintain flexibility to be able to sign 2 big FA's (eg Durant + Horford).

I think he's done that. He picked Jaylen Brown who could contribute right away, and he picked some stashable players in the 1st round where contracts are guaranteed. We have a ton of flexibility for the next stage of the offseason.
I would generally agree he may have hit on his secondary objective. I see that as more of a tertiary objective myself, because I think he could have gotten other young guys that were better or equally good at positions of need and kept the flexibility

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
In my view, the answer is clearly #1. It seems that Ainge has had his eyes on this year's free agency class, Durant in particular. That would be why he passed up the deals he had on the table, because he wanted to maintain flexibility in free agency. If his goal was to hit a homerun first and foremost, then he would have made a deal.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It was either swinging a trade for a star or the right trade to aid in the right direction.  Sixers was the perfect trade partner considered how desperate for the 3rd pick they were reported to be.  It was a no-brainer because it means they weren't requesting much of anything else outside of number 3 if at all.  There was even a report that they were willing to do both Okafor and Nerlens for #3, couple assets, with picks.  I mean...that is a deal to say YES to before the GM on the other end finish his sentence.  We can then either retain both Okafor and Nerlens or use one as part of a trade proposal to get Buttler or revisit Cousins. 

Anything could've been better than the garbage decision Danny ended up making.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the first plan was to trade for an all star. When that didn't materialize, plan be was draft the guy we think has the highest ceiling. I'm their eyes, that was Brown. The other first round picks were about saving cap space as now they have to turn to FA to improve.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
As a matter of fact, a trade with Sixers would've probably help to land Buttler or put us in a better position in convincing Durant this is the place for him.  It would've made us look good at that duscussion table.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Objective:  Put ourselves in position to sign Kevin durant.

Plan A:  land a star if the price is right.

Plan B:   Grab the best player available at #3 - preferably at a position we aren't overloaded at. Try to either consolidate picks or grab guys who you can draft and stash so you can keep open roster spots and maintain double max cap space. 

Plan A was always a long shot.    It seems we went with Plan B.  Jaylen brown might end up the best player - nobody here really knows.  Clearly Ainge and his team felt he was the best player available.  So that's a check.   And we succeeded in maintaining double max cap space and leaving open roster spots. 

Success.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As a matter of fact, a trade with Sixers would've probably help to land Buttler or put us in a better position in convincing Durant this is the place for him.  It would've made us look good at that duscussion table.

People should stop saying this.  Had we met Chicago's demands and paid their jimmy butler price, it would have set us back substantially as a team and reflected poorly on us in negotiating with durant.

Jimmy butler doesn't make a greater basketball impact than Bradley + crowder + smart + our #3 pick combined.   We arguably were overpaying just by offering the pick + one of crowder or Bradley.

We are overrating butler and underrating Bradley and crowder.

Also, if you check some Philly blogs, they say colangelo claims the offer reported of Noel + picks for #3 never actually happened.   Either way, I don't think it makes a difference in getting butler.

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
@LarBrd33 - I rarely post.  But please continue to fight this...  you are 100% spot on.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Get better.
Long term yes short term no.