Author Topic: Say we add Horford and Durant, what vets would take min to chase ring  (Read 2957 times)

Re: Say we add Horford and Durant, what vets would take min to chase ring
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 11:22:04 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
A big man would seem like the biggest need if we did land Horford and Durant. Not sold on KO as a rotation piece on a contender.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Don't really like anyone on that list. J. Noah would be a good get but he won't take the minimum. I seem to remember Horford saying he'd like to play PF and not C anymore.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Gerald Green and Amare would be great pickups IMO. Green fills a need in shooting and scoring while Amare makes for a good back up PF/C.

These additions make more sense if we were making a title run, but we are not.  Ainge would not sign Green I wager in any case.

If we're not making a title run upon signing KD, then he is not coming here. KD isn't here to "grow". He's here because it gives him the best chance at multiple rings.

Rings are his #1 objective, but I also don't think he's happy seeing other players getting more credit than him.  He finished 5th in MVP voting behind Curry, Leonard, Lebron, and Westbrook.  I suspect he sees himself as the best player after Lebron.  He made a frustrated comment along those lines a couple months ago.  Coming to Boston will give him an opportunity to showcase his skills and show that he's better than Curry, Leonard, and Westbrook while also contending for a title.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
A big man would seem like the biggest need if we did land Horford and Durant. Not sold on KO as a rotation piece on a contender.

They could revisit the Noel trade. 

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Gerald Green and Amare would be great pickups IMO. Green fills a need in shooting and scoring while Amare makes for a good back up PF/C.

These additions make more sense if we were making a title run, but we are not.  Ainge would not sign Green I wager in any case.

If we're not making a title run upon signing KD, then he is not coming here. KD isn't here to "grow". He's here because it gives him the best chance at multiple rings.

Rings are his #1 objective, but I also don't think he's happy seeing other players getting more credit than him.  He finished 5th in MVP voting behind Curry, Leonard, Lebron, and Westbrook.  I suspect he sees himself as the best player after Lebron.  He made a frustrated comment along those lines a couple months ago.  Coming to Boston will give him an opportunity to showcase his skills and show that he's better than Curry, Leonard, and Westbrook while also contending for a title.

Agreed and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I bolded the point that I'm contesting. Basically, if we're signing Durant, we're making a title run.

- LilRip

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 11:32:05 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Pau Gasol should absolutely think about it, he's getting old, and probably wants one more ring before he retires

I'd get him in a heartbeat if he comes here for a discount

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If Josh Smith really wants to chase a ring, I think he would make a very solid starting PF for us.  He is basically a veteran Nerlens Noel. Plus he has played with Horford before , they were the starting front court when atl took bos to 7 games in 2007.

IT,AB,KD and Horford all provide spacing, we could just keep Smith going after offensive boards, and rolling on the pick and roll for lobs .

Plus he is a very good defensive anchor for the frontcourt , with AB,Smart,Jae and Brown as our lockdown perimeter defenders.

It.         Smart
Ab.       Brown
Kd.        Jae
Smith    Ko
Horford.  Mickey

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
"Zombie Perkins"

Is that like when the mountain is brought back to life in GOT?  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
David west

How bout ray Allen? He can be this years version of a retired Reggie miller in 2007 :P

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think realistically Ainge would only go after players he has vied for in the past.

Smith, Pierce, Garnett, Allen, Perkins, TA, etc.

The difference is that clearly CBS has a brand of players he wants to coach, multidimensional players that can guard outside of their positions, switch on help defense, shoot, pass, and are overall intelligent basketball IQ type of guys.

Unfortunately Josh Smith doesn't fit the mold, but you would be a fool to turn him down.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If Durant leaves a clearly reloaded OKC team, after the declining Ibaka was shipped off, especially for a team like the Celtics that is - to date - no better than last year, I'd be absolutely amazed.

What would any thread be without an obligatory "Debbie Downer" statement from CoachBo?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 05:19:56 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
If KD comes, he will never leave.

What about Pierce? That would be cool.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I like the idea of Ekpe Udoh as a vet min. Averaged 11.9 points and 5.8 rebounds in 27.3 minutes playing for Fenerbahce Istanbul and winning a league championship. He's looking to make an NBA return and could be a great, versatile back up big. He's only 29.

Here's a Vertical article about him that was posted yesterday:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-no--6-pick-aiming-to-return-to-league-151220952.html

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
David west

How bout ray Allen? He can be this years version of a retired Reggie miller in 2007 :P

David West is absolutely cooked. Ray would be a hilarious story, but I don't think it is physically possible.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 05:44:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Don't really like anyone on that list. J. Noah would be a good get but he won't take the minimum. I seem to remember Horford saying he'd like to play PF and not C anymore.

Yeah somehow Noah may get close to the maximum from someone.... a scary idea.