Author Topic: Say we add Horford and Durant, what vets would take min to chase ring  (Read 2948 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Some guys that came to mind for me

Brandon Bass
Hibbert
Gerald Green
Chalmers
Amare Stoudamire
Josh Smith
Barbosa
Moe williams
Novak
Matt Bonner
Reggie Evans

Would love to get Bass back to backup at PF. Then would just need to add a backup center and some shooters off the bench.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:31:19 AM by rondohondo »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Some guys that can to mind for me

Brandon Bass
Hibbert
Gerald Green
Chalmers
Amare Stoudamire
Josh Smith
Barbosa
Moe williams
Novak

Would love to get Bass back to backup or at PF. Then would just need to add a backup center and some shooters off the bench.

Zombie Perkins or Chris Anderson

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Some guys that can to mind for me

Brandon Bass
Hibbert
Gerald Green
Chalmers
Amare Stoudamire
Josh Smith
Barbosa
Moe williams
Novak

Would love to get Bass back to backup or at PF. Then would just need to add a backup center and some shooters off the bench.

Zombie Perkins or Chris Anderson
Good call on Andersen, he would be a terrific backup center.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Gerald Green and Amare would be great pickups IMO. Green fills a need in shooting and scoring while Amare makes for a good back up PF/C.
- LilRip

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Gerald Green and Amare would be great pickups IMO. Green fills a need in shooting and scoring while Amare makes for a good back up PF/C.

These additions make more sense if we were making a title run, but we are not.  Ainge would not sign Green I wager in any case.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

These additions make more sense if we were making a title run, but we are not.  Ainge would not sign Green I wager in any case.
If we add kd and Horford we aren't making a title run?

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don't think there's enough minutes and roster space to add bench shooters. 

IT, Bradley, and Smart are going to take up nearly all the minutes at guard.  Maybe one of our rookies or 2nd year players can challenge Smart for minutes. 

Durant will play about 36 minutes at the 3 leaving Crowder about 12.

Crowder will be on the court with Durant let's say about 20 mpg.  That leaves about 28 mpg left at the 4.  Combine that with the 5 and that's about 76 minutes left for Horford and Olynyk.  Figure 30 minutes for Horford and 20 for Olynyk and we have 26 minutes left. 

I haven't even mentioned Brown who will spend time on the court with Crowder and Durant while Horford and Olynyk are manning the 5.  That's all the time there is.  Of course Mickey and Zizic (if he comes over) will be fighting for minutes.

As far as shooting, we'll have enough after adding Durant. I do think we need a backup center, but that person will need to take the vet min and can't expect to get regular minutes or play every game.  Anderson or Stoudamire would nice, but they might have better opportunities.  I wouldn't object to old Perk. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:13:05 AM by knuckleballer »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If Durant leaves a clearly reloaded OKC team, after the declining Ibaka was shipped off, especially for a team like the Celtics that is - to date - no better than last year, I'd be absolutely amazed.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
From the roster estimates I've seen, adding Horford and Durant would max out the salary cap--and that's without Sullinger, Johnson and Turner.

Re: Say we add Horford and Durant, what vets would take min to chase ring
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 10:19:27 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
From the roster estimates I've seen, adding Horford and Durant would max out the salary cap--and that's without Sullinger, Johnson and Turner.
that's why I said vet min players...

You can still sign vet min when you reach the cap, at least I am pretty sure you can.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
that's why I said vet min players...

You can still sign vet min when you reach the cap, at least I am pretty sure you can.

I think the cap works out, but I bet a lot of these guys are looking at the rising salary cap, the shallow FA class, and thinking about one last gigantic check. Not to say some of them won't be available for the veteran minimum, but between the minutes we could offer in this only-ever-going-to-be hypothetical situation where we sign Durant and Horford, in addition to the minimum level contracts, we're really unlikely to see veterans come here--which I think is a good thing! A bigger selling point to Durant and Horford is that we have so many players on rookie contracts who will be able to grow, assert their skills for their second contract and assume minutes rather than relying on ring chasers. I think that would be part of the pitch. NBA players understand how much effort goes into pushing for that second contract and we have a roster of players doing that.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

If we're not making a title run upon signing KD, then he is not coming here. KD isn't here to "grow". He's here because it gives him the best chance at multiple rings.

- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The Celtics already have role players and a strong bench.

I don't think most of those minimum wage guys would add any superior options to what we already have with the exception of someone like Chris Andersen. A defensive minded backup center would be a good addition.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 11:14:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I agree with last posts about KD reason .  It's one thing .....Rings

Loading up on newbie rookies and 19 year olds is not goi g to have appeal to man seeking a title.

Without KD it's a slow process .  Take your time ...mull over every move for 9 months

With KD ......you become like Cleveland , in a spend out , all for now mode ,  short window of about three years to hang # 18 .....or he bolts once again.