Author Topic: Horford is on Durant's list because C's are expected to go after him  (Read 9510 times)

Re: Horford is on Durant's list because C's are expected to go after him
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This comes from an article in the Oklahoman:

Golden State and Miami will be the most likely landing spots for Kevin Durant should he choose to leave Oklahoma City as a free agent, according to an agent speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"Golden State and Miami become the only real players," the agent said. "It's too hard to justify a move to Los Angeles [Lakers] or New York because they are not close to winning. Houston's out." To be clear, this is just the viewpoint of another agent in the NBA, and this agent does not have any direct knowledge regarding Durant's decision making. That being said, the logic here is sound, as it wouldn't make much sense for KD to opt to go through a rebuild at age-27 having never won a championship.

I'm not saying that those two teams are not the top 2 on his list, but this info sounds like it came from someone who is not fully informed on the process, as he lists NY and LA which are not on Durant's list and ignores Boston and San Antonio which are.

I think if Durant leaves OKC, he goes to San Antonio, that would put him in a great organization with two young all-stars and a legendary coach, and an established winning program.

The problem is the Spurs are still in the West though, and Duncan and Parker and Ginobili are cooked. Does the prospect of playing with IT and Horford and a much better supporting cast of Bradley, Crowder, Smart, and Brown , and a brilliant young coach in Stevens beat out San Antonio. I think it can with the right pitch.

What the heck does Miami have? An over the hill Wade, Bosh who is on the verge of retirement from health issues, Dragic, and Winslow? That's about it.

GS would be amazing as a team, but KD would be on equal footing with Curry and Thompson, and there is only one basketball to shoot. Also, they would have to lost Bogut to afford him, and the team would then be totally undersized. Most importantly, he would clearly not be the man on that team, and considering the flack Lebron got for going to Miami, that would be exponential for Durant if he joins GS. If they somehow don't win it all, the comments that he's overrated and not any better than Barnes would be overwhelming. If they likely do win it, most people would consider it borderline cheating.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
This comes from an article in the Oklahoman:

Golden State and Miami will be the most likely landing spots for Kevin Durant should he choose to leave Oklahoma City as a free agent, according to an agent speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"Golden State and Miami become the only real players," the agent said. "It's too hard to justify a move to Los Angeles [Lakers] or New York because they are not close to winning. Houston's out." To be clear, this is just the viewpoint of another agent in the NBA, and this agent does not have any direct knowledge regarding Durant's decision making. That being said, the logic here is sound, as it wouldn't make much sense for KD to opt to go through a rebuild at age-27 having never won a championship.

This agent to me has no cred and sounds like a dumb_ass. The LA team that Durant is meeting with is the Clippers NOT the Fakers, so why does he even bring them up? The guy's a dope.

Nothing to believe here.

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would hate to see KD end up on Miami. Then we not only would have to go through Cleveland but Miami as well. If he does end up on OKC, GS, SA or Clippers on a one-year deal I wouldn't mind in the Western conference and still a chance to sign him next year. I don't think we are close enough for him this year but again I hope I am wrong about that and Danny can get it done.

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2016, 04:19:49 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Isn't Miami kind of a rebuild?  Wade is lucky to play 60 games a year, probably 50.  Whiteside is probably leaving.  Bosh might never play again.  How are they contenders?

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Isn't Miami kind of a rebuild?  Wade is lucky to play 60 games a year, probably 50.  Whiteside is probably leaving.  Bosh might never play again.  How are they contenders?

Whiteside maybe not gone also. Bosh may play who knows? Wade is a draw because he's in the "cool" group. And they have Dragic & Winslow. Their GM is persuasive. I am just hoping it doesn't happen. I wouldn't call it a full blown rebuild.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Yeah I just don't see Miami as a legit threat for KD. Whiteside is likely gone, Wade is a shell of his former self, Bosh should retire for his safety. They just have Dragic and Winslow, and the salesmanship of Pat Riley. I don't see Durant as a guy who prioritizes the night life at South Beach, or someone who would get fooled by Riley's sales pitch.  Do they even have the cap space to sign both KD and Horford? I don't think so.

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Whiteside maybe not gone also. Bosh may play who knows? Wade is a draw because he's in the "cool" group. And they have Dragic & Winslow. Their GM is persuasive. I am just hoping it doesn't happen. I wouldn't call it a full blown rebuild.

Durant isn't a junior high school student though, he's a smart adult with good values.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
If Durant were to assure Ainge that he would come to Boston if we get Horford, I would sign him to anything he wanted.

Otherwise, I might wait it out a year. The free agent class for 2017 is ridiculous. I'm willing to take a chance on getting two max players who deserve max money next year.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Another thing about Miami is that Winslow must be a big draw too right? Wasn't Danny willing to give a boatload of draft picks to get him? Was the Jaylen Brown pick one of the many?

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Another thing about Miami is that Winslow must be a big draw too right? Wasn't Danny willing to give a boatload of draft picks to get him? Was the Jaylen Brown pick one of the many?

If Winslow is a big draw , then so is Jaylen Brown. Brown looks like a better version of Winslow.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

If Winslow is a big draw , then so is Jaylen Brown. Brown looks like a better version of Winslow.

That's not the point I was making. The point was what Danny was willing to give up to get him. I certainly hope Brown at #3 becomes better than Winslow. I mean I don't see Winslow in any All Star games any time soon but he is good.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 04:44:28 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

He's more athletic that's for sure. Winslow was a better college player on offense, so it is yet to be determined if Brown is better, but he sure has more upside.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I fully expect Durant to resign with OKC.

With that said, NO one out here in the Midwest takes a word seriously in the Oklahoman sports page. That is one of the worst newspapers in the nation.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 05:31:40 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
there were only 4 players averaging 15+ ppg, 7+ rebounds, 3+ assists while shooting 50% from the field last season. they are:

lebron
durant
atetokounmpo
and horford.

one could make the case that he's the worst overall player out of those 4 but you could easily give a max to any of the other 3 players. why not horford? c's got money to spend, why not spend it on the only center in the league puttin up those numbers at that efficiency?

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 05:39:29 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm just not sure how much Horford would attract Durant here.
They aren't best friends and Horford really isnt that good.
Millsap is the stud on that ATL team.

Horford isnikay but wouldn't move the needle too much for us as an Amir replacement.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.