Author Topic: A classmates scouting report of Jaylen Brown  (Read 1700 times)

A classmates scouting report of Jaylen Brown
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I actually read this on celticsblog.com, very good read by ballashang

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/6/24/12028372/i-went-to-school-with-jaylen-brown-here-is-why-he-is-different

Hey Celticsblog,

I’ve been following this blog for about 8 years, but this is the first time I have signed up for an account and posted because I wanted to share a firsthand view of Jaylen Brown. I go to UC Berkeley, and I have watched Jaylen play this entire year from the stands, and cheered and talked to him, and I hope no matter what Danny wants to do with him (if he does anything) that everyone will see and appreciate a side of him outside of his highlight tapes and his scouting report.

After watching him this entire past year, Jaylen is undoubtedly an unfinished product. His shot selection is often weak, decision-making is poor when driving into the key, soft midrange and free throw game, and personally speaking, sometimes confused and seemingly not focused. A zone defense and playing alongside two 7 footers and lack of shooters did not help his skills in the paint, and clogged his creativity. But at 6’7 with through-the-ceiling athleticism and wingspan, let me tell you how he can be this year’s best draft pick.

Jaylen Brown reminds me ridiculously of Kawhi Leonard. Same height, similar wingspan, commitment to defense, lack of shooting and shot-selection when coming into the league. Quiet, seemingly emotionless, but opponents feared for their lives when sharing the court. We all can see how Kawhi is now. I am a basketball player, and I am a strong believer that you CAN teach shooting and handles much easier than defensive capabilities, whether its footwork and rim protection, Jaylen’s athleticism does it all. YES, I know what the C’s need is a big-man rim protector and shooters RIGHT NOW. But the main reason we haven’t shot well (besides average to below avg shooters) is the fact that the only player that commands any attention when driving to the key is IT, and he’s 5’9 and defenders often don’t need to rotate or double too much. Drive and kick is Basketball 101. THAT is how you get open threes. No one is going to leave Kris Dunn or Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield open for threes when you have Jae Crowder and Evan Turner driving into the paint.

You look at the top 3PT shooting NBA teams. GSW, SA, CLE, POR, CHI. I know they all have better shooters, but even though we finished with a better record than POR/CHI, all five (plus more teams) have more than one player that commands a double team. Who do we have on the Celtics besides IT? A drive and kick, or even an inside-out game hardly exists right now. Not only is Jaylen exceptional at finishing at the rim and drawing fouls, his size and driving ability commands double teams in the paint, whereas he is capable of kicking it out to IT (much better as a catch and shoot 3PT, also AB). Jaylen is a much stronger driver and finisher than ET (other than handles), imagine open threes for IT and AB, or maybe even Crowder or Jerebko. Not contested threes like we always fall in love with (lookin at Marcus Smart), OPEN threes. Jordan Mathews @Cal was on the receiving end for so many of them this past season (Cal was not a good shooting team besides Mathews & Jabari Bird), and I think that can translate well for the C’s in terms of open looks and spot-up shooting.

Shooting can be taught. Work ethic cannot. Basketball IQ cannot. Heart cannot. Ridiculous chase down blocks and facial dunks cannot. Elite, Lebron-like transition-finishing abilities cannot. If you’re telling me that you don’t like Jaylen because you think he will be a bust due to the fact he can’t shoot or is turnover prone, you’re hugely misinformed. Jaylen doesn’t care much about ego or spotlight (he went to UC BERKELEY for BALL), he wants to WIN. And I’ve seen it all year long, he will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to win. He has his shortcomings: he didn’t come up clutch in the last few games, and he too often made the same offensive mistakes driving into a zone defense and either throwing up a bad shot or turning it over. He’s 19, and Brad Stevens is the coach.

The NBA game is different. The NBA game has much more space and allows much more contact. Jaylen is a MONSTER to be guarded one on one. This is the same guy in the game who you DON’T want to be guarded by, but you also DON’T want to guard him. How many young wing players are there like that in the NBA? Andrew Wiggins, Stanley Johnson, and Justise Winslow all have bright futures.

The last time we were seriously contending for a championship was in 2012. In a matter of 3 years, we have traded our beloved old stars, a coach, an entering-prime point guard for a new era of young players and coach, draft picks, and a cornerstone in Isaiah. And we have won 48 games and tied for the 3rd seed. That is better than the 20+ other teams that have been "rebuilding" for the large part of the last decade. I often think Celtics fans are spoiled, and the fact that 17 championships should mean one every other year. Reality isn't like that. We are overachieving in Brad Steven's system, I don't think enough people realize that. With our youth, we are a poor man's version of last year's Atlanta Hawks in Budenholzer's system.

Let me be clear. Jaylen is NOT likely going to put up 15/5/3 next year. It might take him 2-3 years to even get to that point. He is NOT going to be the immediate contributor that pushes us to contend with the Cavs. All the impatient and the "WIN NOW OR FIRE DANNY" fans need to get that out of their heads. We have one of the youngest rosters on the team and a coach who just signed a huge contract. In two years we added 23 wins to our record, and I am [dang] grateful and impressed by our progress, despite a complete change in personnel.

Jaylen appreciates the fans. He appreciated the classes at Cal instead of going to Kentucky or Duke or whatever. He would talk to me and other fans at the gym, on campus, or after games. He is the ultimate teammate, and he played for the FANS and the SCHOOL. He has pride written all over him. I would rather draft a raw, unshooting wing with unparalleled ceiling, athleticism, defensive heart, and pride in his team and in his game over Dunn/Bender/whoever else people think the C’s need that can theoretically help cover our weaknesses right away.

You guys are looking at him right now. Jaylen Brown will end up contributing more than anyone else in the draft for the Celtics. Brad Stevens knows it too, they have the intellectual vibe and the student-teacher relationship already. Can’t wait for him to wear green and bring us to a championship.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:18:06 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: A classmates scouting report of Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 07:12:18 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
unless I'm mistaken, this is already up on the front page of celticsblog

good read though
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
unless I'm mistaken, this is already up on the front page of celticsblog

good read though

Yes I saw it and thought i'd post it on here because I'm sure some people like myself come directly to the forum and won't see it.

Fantastic article with great insight, author come forward and receive your tommy points  ;D

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This was a great read. TP and thanks for the insight. And go Bears! (I also went to Cal).
I agree with you on the IT, AB, Brown lineup. Could you imagine Hordord at C and Durant at the 4 (yes a bit of Stevens small ball). That would be a contending team. Well. Maybe Brown needs a year of seasoning. But I agree the future is bright with that kid.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:58:43 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
TP Thanks for the post....you are right. I mostly go straight to the Forum and miss CB articles from time to time.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
His shot selection is often weak, decision-making is poor when driving into the key, soft midrange and free throw game, and personally speaking, sometimes confused and seemingly not focused.

Ahahaha, awesome ;D. I, for one, can't wait ;D.