Author Topic: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors  (Read 98568 times)

Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #450 on: July 01, 2016, 08:44:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Seeing the contacts that have gotten handed out this early it makes me glad that most of our roster is filled out before free agency.

Being a young team is likely we see internal improvement to lay years team even if we only make small moves in free agency.

Last year people complained about what we did, (despite signing Jae to a steal of a contract) and we improved by 8 games in the standings.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2016, 09:08:04 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we strike out, we will probably pick up options on just enough of our players to get to the league minimum payroll.

REMEMER, this is all about NEXT YEAR.  Great FA class, and better draft class too.  Don't be swayed by the silly decisions other team are making now. STAY STRONG and stay the course.

What are you going to say after next year? Not sure I agree with you on all this add to the fact those players will just cost more next year and the draft doesn't come into the free agency conversation.
Huh? 

1. The FA class next year is different players so "cost more" doesn't make any sense.

2. Next year, I am going to say "I told you so"

3. The draft is not relevant to FA, that's right.  Just saying to not get caught up in the FA class and have a longer view of the team's future.

This seems to be the same hysteria we saw on draft night.

1. Different players doesn't mean we will have any better of a chance to land one. Home teams have the upper hand on signing their own free agents. The cap is going to go up so max contracts go up.

2. Highly doubt it!!

3. I'm fine with the long view but you also have to have a realistic view, more money doesn't = free agents coming here.

« Reply #452 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If we strike out, we will probably pick up options on just enough of our players to get to the league minimum payroll.

REMEMER, this is all about NEXT YEAR.  Great FA class, and better draft class too.  Don't be swayed by the silly decisions other team are making now. STAY STRONG and stay the course.

What are you going to say after next year? Not sure I agree with you on all this add to the fact those players will just cost more next year and the draft doesn't come into the free agency conversation.
Huh? 

1. The FA class next year is different players so "cost more" doesn't make any sense.

3. The draft is not relevant to FA, that's right.  Just saying to not get caught up in the FA class and have a longer view of the team's future.

1. Different players doesn't mean we will have any better of a chance to land one. Home teams have the upper hand on signing their own free agents. The cap is going to go up so max contracts go up.

2. Highly doubt it!!

3. I'm fine with the long view but you also have to have a realistic view, more money doesn't = free agents coming here.
Yes it does.  Just watch all these teams handcuff themselves with Mosgovs and Beals.  Ainge will be sitting pretty with gobs of cap space and less competition.

« Reply #453 on: July 01, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
If we don't do anything big AND lose Evan Turner, who might be our best all around player, we will be WORSE this year... then you factor in the East getting stronger and you are in trouble.

Evan Turner was useful, but he was not our best all-around player in any way, shape or form. If he was on another team we wouldn't give him a second thought.

I will be happy to have a small forward who can 1) make a jump shot and 2) doesn't need the ball in his hands at all times to have any impact on the game.

« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2016, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Huh? 

2. Highly doubt it!!

No, I agree. There's only so many times that you can say "this is about next year" or "wait until next summer."

Look at the free agents next summer, which ones would potentially come here? I say you mark off Curry, Westbrook, Paul, James, Durant, Giannis, and Gobert right off the bat. They're either staying with their respective teams on major max dollars (SC, LJ, KD, probably CP), a restricted free agent (so not going anywhere - GA, RG), or will be teaming up with someone else elsewhere to try and win a title (RW).

Griffin, Hayward, Galinari, and Lowry are the realistic targets next year (and Griffin is questionable at that), so I think if we're going to make a splash in free agency, it's going to come this year. We should be going all out to get two max or near-max level contracts. I'm either pairing KD/Horford, KD/Howard, or Horford/Howard together. This is the summer that we're going to have to do something.

« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hassan Whiteside staying in Miami for 4-year max per ESPN

« Reply #456 on: July 01, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Hassan Whiteside staying in Miami for 4-year max per ESPN

Yep, 4 year/$98M it seems like. I still don't think they're any threat to sign KD.

« Reply #457 on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Huh? 

2. Highly doubt it!!

No, I agree. There's only so many times that you can say "this is about next year" or "wait until next summer."

Look at the free agents next summer, which ones would potentially come here? I say you mark off Curry, Westbrook, Paul, James, Durant, Giannis, and Gobert right off the bat. They're either staying with their respective teams on major max dollars (SC, LJ, KD, probably CP), a restricted free agent (so not going anywhere - GA, RG), or will be teaming up with someone else elsewhere to try and win a title (RW).

Griffin, Hayward, Galinari, and Lowry are the realistic targets next year, so I think if we're going to make a splash in free agency, it's going to come this year. We should be going all out to get two max or near-max level contracts. I'm either pairing KD/Horford, KD/Howard, or Horford/Howard together. This is the summer that we're going to have to do something.
Agreed, there are only so many years you can say wait until next year to sign free agents. However, it seems like every year we are getting more and more desirable to NBA free agents.

With how young our team is I expect them to continue to improve and be even more attractive to free agents next year. Of that group I think Hayward is the most likely target, he loves coach Stevens and already attempted to leave when he signed an offer sheet as a restricted free agent.

I also think KD will only sign a one year deal and be in that free agent group next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #458 on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Batum staying in Charlotte on a 5 year/$120M contract. Yikes.

« Reply #459 on: July 01, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Batum staying in Charlotte on a 5 year/$120M contract. Yikes.
Ah, Michael Jordan as a GM. He might be the greatest of all time as a player but as a team GM.......

« Reply #460 on: July 01, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Huh? 

2. Highly doubt it!!

Griffin, Hayward, Galinari, and Lowry are the realistic targets next year, so I think if we're going to make a splash in free agency, it's going to come this year. We should be going all out to get two max or near-max level contracts. I'm either pairing KD/Horford, KD/Howard, or Horford/Howard together. This is the summer that we're going to have to do something.
Agreed, there are only so many years you can say wait until next year to sign free agents. However, it seems like every year we are getting more and more desirable to NBA free agents.

With how young our team is I expect them to continue to improve and be even more attractive to free agents next year. Of that group I think Hayward is the most likely target, he loves coach Stevens and already attempted to leave when he signed an offer sheet as a restricted free agent.

I also think KD will only sign a one year deal and be in that free agent group next year.

As for Hayward, I agree that we could probably get him if we wanted. But that's the thing - is he really that much of an upgrade over Crowder to justify spending $25M on him? I really don't think so. I think they're actually similarly-skilled players - very high level role players, but probably never All-Stars. Their per-36 stats are much closer than you would think, too, and Jae would actually probably surpass Gordon with the same amount of shots with greater efficiency, with two pointers at least.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2016&p1=haywago01&y2=2016&p2=crowdja01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

As for KD, unless something catastrophic happens, I expect him to do a 1 + 1 this summer and re-sign with the team he chooses this summer pretty quickly next summer. I don't think he switches teams next summer without some major reason to, like RW leaving. HOwever, he wouldn't stay this year if he thought RW was leaving.

« Reply #461 on: July 01, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2645241-jordan-clarkson-latest-news-rumors-and-speculation-on-lakers-pg

Clarkson staying with Lakers 4 year/$50M. That's actually a decent contract for him. I thought he'd get more than that.

« Reply #462 on: July 01, 2016, 10:00:04 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Huh? 

2. Highly doubt it!!

We could sign Howard this year and sign Hayward next year, that would work for me.

« Reply #463 on: July 01, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Wow, here's an interesting development:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748877985676140544

"Sources: Rival execs expected to speak with Wade on phone today, armed with belief his contract impasse with Heat has him considering move."

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748877146240745473

"Rival teams starting to take Dwyane Wade's free agency seriously, w/ GM's telling @TheVertical they've made multi-year offers to his reps."

I'm guessing he feels betrayed by Riley after the Whiteside contract when they're not willing to give him what he wants. So what you want about Wade, but he was loyal to the Heat when he could've easily jumped ship like Lebron. Now he's getting screwed by them, though he honestly isn't worth what he's asking.

« Reply #464 on: July 01, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Wow, here's an interesting development:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748877985676140544

"Sources: Rival execs expected to speak with Wade on phone today, armed with belief his contract impasse with Heat has him considering move."

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/748877146240745473

"Rival teams starting to take Dwyane Wade's free agency seriously, w/ GM's telling @TheVertical they've made multi-year offers to his reps."

I would be happy with a short term fall back option of Wade and Howard.