Author Topic: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors  (Read 98560 times)

Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #405 on: July 01, 2016, 01:50:28 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Shelburne is reporting that Horford does not have any deal in place with Atlanta and is currently taking calls. Al Horford on a 4 year max sounds awesome right now.

Woj did say that IF Atlanta gives him the 5 year max he will take it though right?

Eh, I still don't think he automatically takes a 5 year deal just because they give it to him. If they don't add anything and lose Bazemore, then they're a borderline playoff team in a slightly improved East after losing Teague, too. I think he'd go with a four year max at a place like Boston or Houston rather than just play there for the extra year in a losing environment.

I don't think they'll give him the fifth year; they've seemed hesitant all along. Horford would fit perfectly with us, and he seems like the type of guy who would appreciate a simple pitch: we could just let him sit down with Brad for a while, discussing his role, Brad's vision, etc. I like our chances with him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #406 on: July 01, 2016, 01:59:05 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I didnt really want Horford before all this crazy money was being thrown around, now I'd probably take him

Im fine with him or Howard
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #407 on: July 01, 2016, 01:59:22 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Shelburne is reporting that Horford does not have any deal in place with Atlanta and is currently taking calls. Al Horford on a 4 year max sounds awesome right now.

Woj did say that IF Atlanta gives him the 5 year max he will take it though right?

Eh, I still don't think he automatically takes a 5 year deal just because they give it to him. If they don't add anything and lose Bazemore, then they're a borderline playoff team in a slightly improved East after losing Teague, too. I think he'd go with a four year max at a place like Boston or Houston rather than just play there for the extra year in a losing environment.

I don't think they'll give him the fifth year; they've seemed hesitant all along. Horford would fit perfectly with us, and he seems like the type of guy who would appreciate a simple pitch: we could just let him sit down with Brad for a while, discussing his role, Brad's vision, etc. I like our chances with him.

Hell, at this point I think you pitch him by saying we'll try and set you up with KD first, and if that doesn't work, then we'll set you up with Howard. Either move makes us a title contender.

Let's not forget, this is around the age that KG and Ray were traded to us, too. I wonder how a pairing of Horgord and Howard would change our style. I'd love to see what kind of offense and defense Brad could create with those twin towers.

« Reply #408 on: July 01, 2016, 02:01:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I really do not like idea of a 4 year max contract for Horford.

Max contract for Horford, given his experience, would be 35% of the cap, right?  If so that means $32.9M a year roughly.  He's not worth even close to that figure.  Honestly, even $23.5M (the lowest possible max at 25% of the cap) is a major stretch for Horford.  Upwards of $30m is ridiculous. Dwight maybe, but Horford?  No.

« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2016, 02:02:26 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Derozan will return to the Raptors.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #410 on: July 01, 2016, 02:03:30 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Max contract for Horford, given his experience, would be 35% of the cap, right?  If so that means $32.9M a year roughly.  He's not worth even close to that figure.  Honestly, even $20M is a stretch for Horford (even under this rising cao).  Upwards of $30m is ridiculous.

Horford is in the 7-9 year range, so I think it's just 30%.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #411 on: July 01, 2016, 02:04:36 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Hell, at this point I think you pitch him by saying we'll try and set you up with KD first, and if that doesn't work, then we'll set you up with Howard. Either move makes us a title contender.

Let's not forget, this is around the age that KG and Ray were traded to us, too. I wonder how a pairing of Horgord and Howard would change our style. I'd love to see what kind of offense and defense Brad could create with those twin towers.

It would be really weird to see those giants out there after watching a center who's wider than he is tall for the past year.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #412 on: July 01, 2016, 02:05:44 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Max contract for Horford, given his experience, would be 35% of the cap, right?  If so that means $32.9M a year roughly.  He's not worth even close to that figure.  Honestly, even $20M is a stretch for Horford (even under this rising cao).  Upwards of $30m is ridiculous.

$26.4M, same as KD.

« Reply #413 on: July 01, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

It would be really weird to see those giants out there after watching a center who's wider than he is tall for the past year.

Bring back the 80's style Celtics basketball. Hell, you might even be able to get Mchale in as an assistant coach. He'd help tremendously with managing Howard and Horford.

« Reply #414 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:19 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I didnt really want Horford before all this crazy money was being thrown around, now I'd probably take him

I agree.  I'd rather throw $26 million at those two rather than $16 miillion at the likes of a Mozgov.

« Reply #415 on: July 01, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I agree.  I'd rather throw $26 million at those two rather than $16 miillion at the likes of a Mozgov.

This.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #416 on: July 01, 2016, 02:14:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

$26.4M, same as KD.

Ahh, so it goes of how much experience they currently have, not how much they would have when next season starts?

$26.4m a year over 4 years is a LOT of money for Horford - I'm really not sure how I feel about that. 

I guess it's a toss up between Horford at $26.4M or Howard for $32.9M.  That's a tough call.  It's a difference of $6.5M a year which sounds like a significant amount initially...but then if you think about it rationally, a full MLE under this cap will probably be somewhere around the $9m, so $6.5M of cap space is ultimately not going to get you much in this market.  The difference is practically irrelevant.  I'd rather spend the extra and for Dwight, personally.

But if Dwight isn't available, and it will help to get Durant here, then I guess I can live with throwing $26M at Horford givign the craziness that is surrounding the salary cap world right now.

I shudder when thinking about the type of deals Sully will be offered.

Right now Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder must look like three of the most valuable trade assets in the league.

« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2016, 02:21:57 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

$26.4M, same as KD.

Ahh, so it goes of how much experience they currently have, not how much they would have when next season starts?

$26.4m a year over 4 years is a LOT of money for Horford - I'm really not sure how I feel about that. 

I guess it's a toss up between Horford at $26.4M or Howard for $32.9M.  That's a tough call.  It's a difference of $6.5M a year which sounds like a significant amount initially...but then if you think about it rationally, a full MLE under this cap will probably be somewhere around the $9m, so $6.5M of cap space is ultimately not going to get you much in this market.  The difference is practically irrelevant.  I'd rather spend the extra and for Dwight, personally.

But if Dwight isn't available, and it will help to get Durant here, then I guess I can live with throwing $26M at Horford givign the craziness that is surrounding the salary cap world right now.

Right now Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder must look like three of the most valuable trade assets in the league.

It's hilarious to think of all the complaining when Ainge signed Bradley.  Bradley might get three times that amount if he was a free agent right now.

« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojVerticalNBA
Sources: Free agent guard Eric Gordon has emerged as Knicks' top perimeter target. Sides starting to discuss parameters of a possible deal.

« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2016, 02:42:06 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

$26.4M, same as KD.

It's hilarious to think of all the complaining when Ainge signed Bradley.  Bradley might get three times that amount if he was a free agent right now.

He's firing that agent. Ainge stole his services.

Gotta admit, Ainge has set this cap up perfectly. Can't do much better than he has on most of these contracts. Specifically Bradley, Crowder, IT, & even Amir's 12 M option.

Heckuva job by Ainge.