Author Topic: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors  (Read 98392 times)

Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2016, 09:31:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
“It was great; [Russell] is a really nice guy, really down to earth,” Whiteside said before the game. “There were a lot of things we got to take away from this. We talked about life, talked about basketball, talked about his rookie year. We talked about championships. We talked about a lot.”

On the issue of blocks, they share a lot in common. Russell is arguably the best defensive center in history, though blocks weren’t kept as a stat in his era. Whiteside’s 3.7 blocks average this season was the NBA’s highest since Theo Ratliff averaged slightly more in 2000-01.

“We talked about blocks,” Whiteside said. “He said every block that goes out of bounds is a bad block. He said that’s the thing he really likes about what I do. I keep it in bounds.

“He was telling people blocking shots today is a lot harder than it is when he played. He was talking about the factor of it demoralizes teams. He said, ‘You’re not going to be able to block every shot. Just make them think you’re going to block every shot.’ ”

Another topic they touched on, Whiteside said, was “what it takes to be a leader. How he was always worried about his guys on the court. He never led his team in scoring. He just did all the extra stuff.”

Whiteside feels fortunate that he has cultivated relationships with several premier big men: Shaquille O’Neal, Heat executive Alonzo Mourning, Hakeem Olajuwon (who tutored Whiteside for several days a few summers ago) and now Russell.

“He’s got a really big personality,” Whiteside said of Russell. “Anytime I get to learn more and get a feel for somebody as great as he is, I’m going to do that. He said he’s going to keep watching me.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article76363047.html#storylink=cpy

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
In Russell we trust.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2016, 10:33:42 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Whiteside's "minimum max" range makes a difference to me. Yeah he's 27, but his per year will be lower than virtually all big name free agents this summer and next. That can be a $10M+ difference when other vets are getting $30M+. It's nearly impossible to get to the bottom of his value because he's such an unusual case with great raw numbers, confounding advanced stats, weird history, etc, etc

Lazy math here, but if you move Amir, we have room to sign Whiteside + Barnes for $40M, while still retaining flexibility with Sully, Zeller and Jerebko for either new deals or S&T?

Could Barnes be an effective stretch 4 in our system?

IT / Bradley / Crowder / Barnes / Whiteside
(Rozier / Smart / Hunter / Brown / Jerebko / KO)

Is at least interesting. Ups our outside shooting and shot blocking in the starting lineup considerably. Risky, but like I said, $40M and $60M are not the same.

Did you WATCH Barnes in the NBA Finals?  He was HORRIBLE!!!!  Signing him to a max is INSANITY!!!!!  Over ranked, as our MOST former UNC players!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No matter what happens with our top priority FAs (KD, Howard, Horford, Whiteside), I would be one happy little camper to see our summer end with the acquisitions of Barnes and McAdoo. :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2016, 11:37:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2016, 12:12:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
http://hoopshabit.com/2016/06/29/boston-celtics-rumors-hassan-whiteside-target/

Celtics interested in Whiteside (per Kyler)

I'm going to assume that means the Celtics front office has already investigated the statistical arguments that Whiteside's defensive impact is counterintuitively break-even or negative, and found them unconvincing. Also, that they've got a good sense that Whiteside isn't a team chemistry problem. If so, I'm on board. Glad to see that they will have pursued Noel, Howard, and Whiteside. They obviously know both how important a defensive center is and how secondary in importance offensive creation from that center is.

It could be a bit of both, you realize.  His defensive impact could be less than you would expect given his block and rebound numbers, or due to his general teammateness, and still make him a player of value worth contacting in free agency.  However, the above could also mean he's not choice 1, or even choice 2, as far as free agent bigs are concerned.

And I think you do realize that, by the way.  Just trying to clarify that some of the criticisms of Whiteside could be generally accurate, and at the same time it could make worth offering a contract to.  It also remains to be seen whether or not they offer him the max.

I'm uneasy about Whiteside. He seems to reek of someone who will flop once given a big contract.

I also question his reputation and "likability" to pair with another star.

I question it too.  But I'm sure the Celtics have a much better feeling about his likability than we do.  I mean, IT was his teammate for a season.  They know what most players think about each other.  I'm sure they know Durant's opinion.

Doesn't mean it would end up being a good signing in the long run.  But it wouldn't be destructive this summer (or if it would be,  he wouldn't be signed).

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Whiteside's "minimum max" range makes a difference to me. Yeah he's 27, but his per year will be lower than virtually all big name free agents this summer and next. That can be a $10M+ difference when other vets are getting $30M+. It's nearly impossible to get to the bottom of his value because he's such an unusual case with great raw numbers, confounding advanced stats, weird history, etc, etc

Lazy math here, but if you move Amir, we have room to sign Whiteside + Barnes for $40M, while still retaining flexibility with Sully, Zeller and Jerebko for either new deals or S&T?

Could Barnes be an effective stretch 4 in our system?

IT / Bradley / Crowder / Barnes / Whiteside
(Rozier / Smart / Hunter / Brown / Jerebko / KO)

Is at least interesting. Ups our outside shooting and shot blocking in the starting lineup considerably. Risky, but like I said, $40M and $60M are not the same.

Did you WATCH Barnes in the NBA Finals?  He was HORRIBLE!!!!  Signing him to a max is INSANITY!!!!!  Over ranked, as our MOST former UNC players!!!

Smitty77

Did you watch the regular season, notice that I had him slotted at less than max (two max would be > $40M), and have you considered the implications of another salary cap bump next year?

He's a near 40% 3PT shooter, versatile defender, and is 24. The market for that is pretty high even if he's *not* a superstar. Everything in context.

« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2016, 12:38:44 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/748374717132857344

More meetings for Kevin Durant: Clippers on Friday, Boston on Saturday and Miami on Sunday -- all in the Hamptons -- league sources say.

Saturday. Let's get it.

So that makes:
Thunder on Thursday. (Current team)
Golden state and Clippers on Friday (division mates?)
Boston and San Antonio on Saturday (ball movement and spursian stuff)
Heat on Sunday (no clue, luxury life?)

Kinda mad now because Pat Riley is gonna try and pull some dark magic out of his ass, and being last, he could also have a big impact. Though, if the Knicks were to get a meeting (unlikely) I would expect it to be on Sunday with Miami.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 12:44:48 AM by alldaboston »
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2016, 12:47:07 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

More meetings for Kevin Durant: Clippers on Friday, Boston on Saturday and Miami on Sunday -- all in the Hamptons -- league sources say.

Saturday. Let's get it.

So that makes:
Thunder on Thursday. (Current team)
Heat on Sunday (no clue, luxury life?)

Kinda mad now because Pat Riley is gonna try and pull some dark magic out of his ass, and being last, he could also have a big impact. Though, if the Knicks were to get a meeting (unlikely) I would expect it to be on Sunday with Miami.

Confirmed by David Aldridge: http://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/748376647615811584
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2016, 12:50:05 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

Saturday. Let's get it.

So that makes:
Thunder on Thursday.
Heat on Sunday

Well, at least that certainly means that it's not done in order of preference, though the ordering and pairing of teams on certain days is interesting.

On Friday, he's meeting with two teams that can provide him with the most star power to join up with, but both of them will have to significantly decimate the lower half of their roster to make room for him.

On Saturday, he's meeting the two teams that can provide the best basketball environment, have the most history, and are seemingly the best playing style fits for him if he leaves OKC. They also mirror each other in a team-first, defensive philosophy. Really, the main differences between them is location (West vs. East) and the fact that one team has the option of KD helping build the team around him while the other is already pre-made and ready for him.

On Sunday, he's meeting the other Eastern wild card that he could potentially join if he's dead set on going East, though nobody really expects Miami with all of their uncertainty to actually have a chance at Durant.

I still think it comes down to San Antonio or Boston if he leaves OKC. The Clips are going to try and sell him on a paycut to play with their Big-3 (yeah right), and I think he's smart enough to know what the narrative is going to be if he goes to Golden State.

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2016, 01:36:55 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I believe something is definitely up with Durant, and if he doesn't come this year (returns to OKC), he's coming next year. The Stars have been aligning on this one for quite some time.......

*Ainge is spotted in the stands, next to Durants mom, while scouting KD

*Media leaks that Ainge would've chosen Durant over Oden, if lotto balls fell Celtics way

*Durant, a well known Bird fanatic growing up

*Kendrick Perkins, a teammate who has the ability to sell on the C's & Ainge

*Ainge has made room this season for 2 Max free agents (also knew the cap was rising)

*Ainge met with agent, found out who KD wants to play with

*IT4 puts full court recruitment out there with Horford & KD

A lot of this is just random, but very interesting. Ainge is no dummy, in fact, he's probably the smartest GM in the biz. He somehow managed to get a seat at an expensive table. One he's saved up for.

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
I believe something is definitely up with Durant, and if he doesn't come this year (returns to OKC), he's coming next year. The Stars have been aligning on this one for quite some time.......

*Media leaks that Ainge would've chosen Durant over Oden, if lotto balls fell Celtics way

*Ainge has made room this season for 2 Max free agents (also knew the cap was rising)

A lot of this is just random, but very interesting. Ainge is no dummy, in fact, he's probably the smartest GM in the biz. He somehow managed to get a seat at an expensive table. One he's saved up for.

Hah, don't tell that to some people on here.

Anyways, I think those are good reasons he would choose us. If not this year, hopefully we continue to take a step forward and show him what we are all about next summer. (Though, there are reports that he wants this to be a 1 time thing, that he wants to sing long term now)

« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2016, 01:52:23 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Anyways, I think those are good reasons he would choose us. If not this year, hopefully we continue to take a step forward and show him what we are all about next summer. (Though, there are reports that he wants this to be a 1 time thing, that he wants to sing long term now)

Ainge is incompetent, foolhardy, inane, and other possibly-large, Thesaurus-y adjectives. I will give him a nickname, say that his moves are terrible, and say that I would be a better GM than him, all while offering no indication or hint as to what I would have done instead.

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2016, 02:15:05 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Everything Ainge does is for a reason, and he always is a step ahead. He's patient. Waits until a situation benefits his Celtics, & then pounces, I feel like he's been college recruiting Durant since the beginning. He knows his family, been buddy buddy with his agent (same agent as James Young).

The guy covers his bases. I'd have to believe him & Stevens are good salesman. This meeting Saturday will go well, no doubt. Durant still might stay in OKC regardless, but best believe Ainge will be prepping for the next go around. He'll use this to his advantage somehow.

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:46 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Ainge is incompetent, foolhardy, inane, and other possibly-large, Thesaurus-y adjectives. I will give him a nickname, say that his moves are terrible, and say that I would be a better GM than him, all while offering no indication or hint as to what I would have done instead.

Hahaha, well done! TP.