Author Topic: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors  (Read 99006 times)

Re: Leaguewide Free Agent Rumors
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2016, 07:01:09 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
http://hoopshabit.com/2016/06/29/boston-celtics-rumors-hassan-whiteside-target/

Celtics interested in Whiteside (per Kyler)

Who would have ever thought that Boston could be in the position to decide which of the top free agents they're going to sign?

Mike

Is that how you would describe our position?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2016, 07:43:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Who would have ever thought that Boston could be in the position to decide which of the top free agents they're going to sign?

Mike

Is that how you would describe our position?

Compared to "Hallelujah, a still-somewhat-useful aging ex-star is actually willing to settle for the mid-level exception with us!", yes. In all seriousness, we are going to be negotiating with four of the top five free agents, and we are going to be the only team that has the room to sign two (or more?) of them away from other teams.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I'm going to assume that means the Celtics front office has already investigated the statistical arguments that Whiteside's defensive impact is counterintuitively break-even or negative, and found them unconvincing. Also, that they've got a good sense that Whiteside isn't a team chemistry problem. If so, I'm on board. Glad to see that they will have pursued Noel, Howard, and Whiteside. They obviously know both how important a defensive center is and how secondary in importance offensive creation from that center is.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

No thanks!

I'm with you on that. Whiteside is a heck of a shot-blocker and rebounder, but is pretty poor in every other aspect of the game, including defense. His complete lack of any desire to pass the ball is majorly concerning, as is his attitude and history. Plus, he's not as young as you think he is. He's already 27. You give him a full max deal and he'll be over 30 by the end of it. Dude can rack up stats, and is a great shot-blocker, but I'm just not sure he's worth a full 4 year Max.

I'd give him 12-15$ Million a year. But all things considered I'd probably rather pay Horford the max over 3/4 years than Whiteside.

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
C's can be as interested as they want in Whiteside but he has already said he will soon be moving to LA area. GMs talking to free agent's agents before they should is commonplace. My guess is he will be announced as signing with the Lakers within the first 24 hours of free agency.

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
C's can be as interested as they want in Whiteside but he has already said he will soon be moving to LA area. GMs talking to free agent's agents before they should is commonplace. My guess is he will be announced as signing with the Lakers within the first 24 hours of free agency.

was it ever verified to be his account?  I heard that was a fake

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2016, 08:28:03 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I'm going to assume that means the Celtics front office has already investigated the statistical arguments that Whiteside's defensive impact is counterintuitively break-even or negative, and found them unconvincing. Also, that they've got a good sense that Whiteside isn't a team chemistry problem. If so, I'm on board. Glad to see that they will have pursued Noel, Howard, and Whiteside. They obviously know both how important a defensive center is and how secondary in importance offensive creation from that center is.

Or, to play devil's advocate, they might be feigning interest to get Miami to go all in on Whiteside thus hampering them for years to come.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:42:35 PM by danglertx »

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2016, 09:05:00 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Pretty sure that was determined to be fake.  It's not something a good agent would advise his client to say.

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!

Pretty sure that was determined to be fake.  It's not something a good agent would advise his client to say.

It was fake.

But a lot of people do predict Whiteside will go to LAL.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It could be a bit of both, you realize.  His defensive impact could be less than you would expect given his block and rebound numbers, or due to his general teammateness, and still make him a player of value worth contacting in free agency.  However, the above could also mean he's not choice 1, or even choice 2, as far as free agent bigs are concerned.

And I think you do realize that, by the way.  Just trying to clarify that some of the criticisms of Whiteside could be generally accurate, and at the same time it could make worth offering a contract to.  It also remains to be seen whether or not they offer him the max.

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2016, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Whiteside's "minimum max" range makes a difference to me. Yeah he's 27, but his per year will be lower than virtually all big name free agents this summer and next. That can be a $10M+ difference when other vets are getting $30M+. It's nearly impossible to get to the bottom of his value because he's such an unusual case with great raw numbers, confounding advanced stats, weird history, etc, etc

Lazy math here, but if you move Amir, we have room to sign Whiteside + Barnes for $40M, while still retaining flexibility with Sully, Zeller and Jerebko for either new deals or S&T?

Could Barnes be an effective stretch 4 in our system?

IT / Bradley / Crowder / Barnes / Whiteside
(Rozier / Smart / Hunter / Brown / Jerebko / KO)

Is at least interesting. Ups our outside shooting and shot blocking in the starting lineup considerably. Risky, but like I said, $40M and $60M are not the same.

« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2016, 09:20:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930

It could be a bit of both, you realize.  His defensive impact could be less than you would expect given his block and rebound numbers, or due to his general teammateness, and still make him a player of value worth contacting in free agency.  However, the above could also mean he's not choice 1, or even choice 2, as far as free agent bigs are concerned.

And I think you do realize that, by the way.  Just trying to clarify that some of the criticisms of Whiteside could be generally accurate, and at the same time it could make worth offering a contract to.  It also remains to be seen whether or not they offer him the max.

I'm uneasy about Whiteside. He seems to reek of someone who will flop once given a big contract.

I also question his reputation and "likability" to pair with another star.

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He was so much better in the playoffs, the Heat performed better on both offense and defense when he was on the court in the playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19