Author Topic: Make a Case for KD joining Boston  (Read 6436 times)

Re: Make a Case for KD joining Boston
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 08:55:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There's no case to be made now. We have a lot of money and some probably high draft picks. And the best coach. That won't cut it.

If it didn't cut it Boston wouldn't be one of the six teams invited to talk to him.

He'll listen politely but he won't come here. You'll see. I'm not saying he'll be like "Oh man. If you adjust traded for Noel I would have come here!" That definitely won't happen. But he won't come here.

He's giving us a meeting because he's interested. He probably won't sign here, but this is not just a courtesy meeting. He's not wasting his time on frivolities like that. The notion that he's "just being polite" is insultingly ridiculous, to be frank.
He's not interested. Boston is his fall back if things don't go well and we are being used in order to sweeten the deal where he eventually goes. I'm not saying we shouldn't try. Just that after this draft we are simply not an organization that is attractive enough.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:02:06 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 09:01:53 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
There's no case to be made now. We have a lot of money and some probably high draft picks. And the best coach. That won't cut it.

If it didn't cut it Boston wouldn't be one of the six teams invited to talk to him.

He'll listen politely but he won't come here. You'll see. I'm not saying he'll be like "Oh man. If you adjust traded for Noel I would have come here!" That definitely won't happen. But he won't come here.

He's giving us a meeting because he's interested. He probably won't sign here, but this is not just a courtesy meeting. He's not wasting his time on frivolities like that. The notion that he's "just being polite" is insultingly ridiculous, to be frank.
He's not interested. Boston is his fall back if things don't go well and we are being used in order to sweeten the deal where he eventually goes.

That can be said for literally any team he meets with.

You honestly make no sense whatsoever. Do you think Durant views us the same as the other 24 teams that aren't meeting with him? Because that's what you're implying when you say he's not interested in us.

If you do actually think that, then I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason he's meeting with us. He is at least somewhat interested in joining us. Otherwise, we would not have been mentioned in that Woj report.

I really don't see how this is so hard to understand buddy. I know it's still a longshot to have him sign with us, but c'mon. The report LITERALLY says we are one of the teams meeting with him. If a meeting doesn't mean interest, then what point is it serving? Please answer that for me.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
1. History: be the next great player for the most winning franchise in the league.
2. Coaching: Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches in the league.
3. System: Joining a ball movement heavy side to side action system will make things easier for KD. Too much iso ball has been the downfall of the Thunder in the past and will continue to be the downfall.
4. Ownership: our ownership is going to pay as much money as it takes to win. OKC has now traded two core members of their team because they weren't sure about whether they could/would re-sign. Come to Boston and you won't have to deal with losing friends like Harden and Ibaka.
5. Defense: We were a top 5 defense in the NBA last year, better than the Thunder, perfect to play next to Durant.
6. Eastern Conference: The Warriors lost because they got worn down playing in the West. The road to the eastern conference finals is easier than road to the western conference finals.
7. Double max space
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 09:04:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

He's not interested. Boston is his fall back if things don't go well and we are being used in order to sweeten the deal where he eventually goes.

You honestly make no sense whatsoever. Do you think Durant views us the same as the other 24 teams that aren't meeting with him? Because that's what you're implying when you say he's not interested in us.

If you do actually think that, then I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason he's meeting with us. He is at least somewhat interested in joining us. Otherwise, we would not have been mentioned in that Woj report.

I really don't see how this is so hard to understand buddy. I know it's still a longshot to have him sign with us, but c'mon. The report LITERALLY says we are one of the teams meeting with him. If a meeting doesn't mean interest, then what point is it serving? Please answer that for me.
He walks into our place and yells "Show me the money!" so we do. Then he goes back to the team he wants to go to and says "Show me the money!" and they do and he says "The Celtics showed me more! You need to get as creative as them!" so then they do and he goes there, where he wanted to go all along.

The Celtics have very little chance in this now, because we don't look like a team dedicated to winning now. We look like a team that would rather draft 19 year olds than trade for something better.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 09:07:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If you were Durant what team would you go to? Exactly.
Boston
No, I meant for reals

SA and Boston would be the top two for me.

I don't see Durant picking the Warriors. I don't see him as that type of guy.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29

He walks into our place and yells "Show me the money!" so we do. Then he goes back to the team he wants to go to and says "Show me the money!" and they do and he says "The Celtics showed me more! You need to get as creative as them!" so then they do and he goes there, where he wanted to go all along.

The Celtics have very little chance in this now, because we don't look like a team dedicated to winning now. We look like a team that would rather draft 19 year olds than trade for something better.
So you think some team is going to try to get away with paying him less? Dude get a clue. Durant is getting the max from any team that signs him. He doesn't need to use us as leverage.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Durant is getting the max this summer.  There's literally no way for him to get more money except by staying in OKC (and even then it's not that much more each year)

This is some pretty ridiculous mental gymnastics
I'm bitter.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 09:35:51 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If you were Durant what team would you go to? Exactly.
Boston
No, I meant for reals

SA and Boston would be the top two for me.

I don't see Durant picking the Warriors. I don't see him as that type of guy.
Ok fair enough, but why Boston?  I see no reason for him to consider coming here.

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
- We still have a cap space to sign another max free agent aside from you
- We will have a longer championship window than any other teams
- You will be the main guy on a contending team unlike others, where you will be just a second fiddle and may tarnish your legacy.
- This team is built to your fit and will still improve.

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 09:49:11 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

He's not interested. Boston is his fall back if things don't go well and we are being used in order to sweeten the deal where he eventually goes. I'm not saying we shouldn't try. Just that after this draft we are simply not an organization that is attractive enough.

Sweeten what deal? OKC is the only team that can sweeten his pocket more, and MAYBE they can add Horford, but he'd take a pay cut.

Miami,GSW,Clipps,SA have less money to bring him in and less wiggle room as of right now to bring in some one he wants to play with.

I'm not sure he wants to watch the Splash brothers take 30 footers every night, and Miami and SA core is getting a bit long in the tooth. Boston core won 48, ad KD and Horford, those games they lost because they lake a go to score, are now wins.

Any of these teams can land him,  we have as good of a chance as anyone, we are not a sweetener.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Oh, so THAT'S what it is. I see now. Clearly, getting Noel would be much better. I am sure that Durant would absolutely LOVE to play with Noel much more than playing with Jaylen. Stupid Danny, why didn't you trade for the 22 year old? Instead, you had to pick the 19 year old. smh.

Bevause, you know, Noel would push this team to the ECF, right?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:01:19 PM by alldaboston »
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:18 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I can make a pretty good case.

First, out of the Western Conference.  He will have to beat one really good team to get to the finals and Lebron isn't getting any younger.  Golden State and SAS are going to be good for awhile and Minnesota and Portland are up and coming.  LAC will be contenders as long as Paul is still able to get it done and the Lakers will probably attract some free agents at some point.  The East has Miami on decline, Atlanta who just traded Teague, Horford who might leave and Korver who is getting older.  The East could be there for the taking in a few years.

Secondly, Durant does seem to like the fans, the town, and the basketball history of the Celtics.  You never know what that means to a guy.

Pot roast.  Terrance Knighton for some inexplicable reason is great friends with Durant and is recruiting him to Boston.  Plus IT might be, I'm not sure.  I know Smart has some connection with Durant from his OKST days.  So he knows some people in the area, that might ease some of his concerns.

If Durant goes to GS or SAS, or even Miami, he is joining someone eles's team.  If he goes to Boston, it immediately becomes his team.  He is also a fit in Boston where he wouldn't be for the Knicks.  Boston has defensive players, they need a big time scorer.  Durant is a big time scorer.  He doesn't have to worry about sharing like he has had to do with Russell or like he'd have to do basically anywhere else.

Boston can bring in two max guys.  Yeah every team will be able to bring in, or create space to  bring in a max player like Durant, but Boston can bring in Durant and a friend.  Whether that friend is Horford or Kevin Love, Boston can bring in a free agent, or they have tons of future assets and good contracts to bring in a specific player if Durant wants.

Lastly, most people think Durant isn't leaving.  I think he is.  I don't think he wants to go back to OKC for one more year and then leave.  I think he wants to pick the place where he will finish his career.  From what I've heard, Russell wants to go to the West Coast and play for the Lakers.  I don't think Durant is going to stick around and wait for Westbrook to leave.  That would seem a bit beneath his talent.  It seems to me he wants to get started on the rest of his career and Boston is a really good fit for that.

Some people would think, well Miami  has a couple stars there and that would seem like a better fit.  But Wade is old and breaking down.  Durant is going to want to pick a team that is set up for the long run, not just next year.  Lebron already ditched Miami to go hook up with some younger stars in Cleveland.  I can't see Durant jumping in there.

I can't see Durant joining an already established team with Curry.  I can't see him going to San Antonio to compete with Aldridge at the 4 or Kwahi at the 3.  No way he joins Lebron.  No way he goes to Miami with Wade breaking down, Whiteside probably leaving, and Bosh's future in serious jeopardy.  He won't go to the Knicks if he likes seeing the ball on offense.  I don't think he is staying in OKC, especially now that Ibaka got shipped out.  Would he join the Clippers?  Really?  Paul isn't getting any younger and they'd have to move Blake to get him.  That leaves him with an aging Paul and a center who can't shoot free throws.  Houston seems like a mess and have coaching issues.  They also have Harden issues.

So why not Boston?  They need a scorer, he fits.  They have money to bring in guys he likes.  They have a great young coach that is getting mad respect from everyone, especially Popovich which carries a lot of weight.  They have good young players AND some really good assets to add pieces in the future.  He has friends in Boston already so he won't be alone.  Seems like a really good fit to me.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Money being equal and the upside know potential of the team being a given, I think the best hope is to hope that KD has a sentimental side and appeal to lure of being part of the new age of excellence for the league's greatest franchise.  If he buys in, wonderful. If not, I see him going elsewhere. 
Yup

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 10:18:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Durant is getting the max this summer.  There's literally no way for him to get more money except by staying in OKC (and even then it's not that much more each year)

This is some pretty ridiculous mental gymnastics
Oh you think money is the only thing teams offer players? Interesting.