Author Topic: Make a Case for KD joining Boston  (Read 6446 times)

Make a Case for KD joining Boston
« on: June 25, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Okay, Celticsbloggers, let's hear your best cases/reasons for Durant to join Boston.

I think there are three main reasons he should consider Boston -

1) Culture - By culture, I'm meaning the basketball environment that Boston has. In everything from coaching to management to ownership, we are very professional and near the top of the league in rankings. We have one of the most stable and professional basketball environments in the league, in addition to a history that is unparalleled in almost any major professional US sport. This is exactly what Durant is looking for.

2) Flexibility/Future - There are several components to this. First, we have the most flexibility in the salary cap to provide two max free agents, which allows Durant to help build his ideal team around him. Second, we have the most flexibility with regard to trades and assets to upgrade the roster. Third, we are by the far the youngest of the six teams he's initially considering, and with our assets, flexibility, and youth we have the brightest sustainable future of those teams.

3) Easiest Path to Finals/Title - What is interesting to see in his teams is that four of them are in the West while only two are in the East. I think we have a major advantage over Miami due to their unpredicatbility with their free agents and the whole Bosh situation, which makes them not really an option. Thus, by coming East, he'll only have to deal with one other title contender in Cleveland rather than three other ones in GS, SAS, and LAC.

What do you think are the best reasons for him to come to Boston over the other teams?

Re: Make a Case for KD joining Boston
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
There are several more reasons that make us a good choice for him over others, but let's see what else we come up with, too.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:34:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
(1) You can pick any free agent and we will sign them for you.
(2)You can pick and realistic player and we will trade for them.
(3) If you pick the Knicks over us your career will be over.
(4) You could possibly be the MVP for the next 3-4 seasons on our team where you would be a third wheel on the Warriors.
(5) The Heat have D-Wade who is aging and going to fall off a cliff soon. our roster is much better! (Don't look at the records last year just believe me). Plus it'd be like the decision 2.0 and ESPN would rip you.
(6) Avery Bradley played on your team before. You love each other, reunite with THE 2016 ALL DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM GUARD.
(7) Crowder can teach you how to grow dreads.
(8 ) Brad Stevens can make Evan Turner look good, imagine what he can do for you.
(9) Gregg Popovich has old man smell.
(10) The Clippers...Yeah that's another easy one, don't sign with them.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There's no case to be made now. We have a lot of money and some probably high draft picks. And the best coach. That won't cut it.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If you were Durant what team would you go to? Exactly.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 05:48:29 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There's no case to be made now. We have a lot of money and some probably high draft picks. And the best coach. That won't cut it.

Source:

I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Boston

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 05:58:07 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Hey KD.

I hear you're looking into the Celtics. Good choice. Our team is the optimal landing spot for your near future and distant future. If your goal is money, fame, winning, or a lasting legacy, by all of these metrics, Boston is the team for you.

Our young team of overachievers has fantastic locker room chemistry and no ego problems (ala Westbrook, Draymond, Curry). Our players are hard working, young, driven, and players other players like playing with (Avery Bradley). Our perimeter defense is set for years to come with young studs like Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, and Jaylen Brown. We have the cap space to go after anyone you want and the assets to get trades done. Brad Stevens' is some kind of wizard when it comes to placing his players in situations where they can succeed. I know that you've already earned some level of success with OKC, but wouldn't it be nice to be in a situation where your team and your coach made that success easier, rather than being a force that worked against you? Aren't you tired of a team management that consistantly trades away your friends (Ibaka and Harden)?

You love the game of basketball, and I am sure you are aware of the lofty tradition behind the hallowed halls of the Boston Garden. The Celtics are where great players go to solidify their legacy (just ask KG). Sure, OKC can offer you more money in the short term, but if you were to go to Boston you would be utterly immortalized. You would belong to the cannon of basketball saints in green. You would be mentioned in the same breath as some of the best basketball players who ever lived. Solidifying your legacy means solidifying your continued paychecks (after your time in the league). There's a reason Larry Bird and Michael Jordan own their own teams, and that reason isn't because they chose a 5 year contract over a 4 year contract. Boston is an investment, and, for you, an investment well worth making.

Sure you could go to Golden State, and be in a position to win a championship or two, but that team is already at the top, and what comes up ultimately declines. Sure you could stick with OKC, but at some point, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is madness. Winning in Boston won't be easy. It will still take work and some time, but it is always better to hitch your wagon to an up and coming team rather than hop on after another team has already reached it's apex.

Win in Boston and you will be loved forever. We are in a position where we can make the leap to contention, if you make the leap of faith to us. Let's win some championships together.

PS: We'll tell Marcus to tone it down during practice when he's guarding you. (-;
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:07:57 PM by positivitize »
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Boston
No, I meant for reals

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

If it didn't cut it Boston wouldn't be one of the six teams invited to talk to him.

If DA can grab Horford,Dudley and maybe Pau. That increases 15 to 20 wins and makes them a contender. You know Dudley will come here for peanuts. Horford you have to pay, and you grab those guys with KD, Pua might come in for peanuts as well. Yes a dream, probably means Jerebko,Amir,Sully and turner are gone, but doable.

Plus Boston has the most money to drop out side of OKC and can add around him to fit his game. In GSW he'll watch the splash brothers jack up 30 footers all night long. SA is the one that scares me the most out side of OKC which the fans didn't treat him well during the playoffs and they just traded one of his favorite people.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 06:07:42 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
We want you because you are the best player in the NBA. If you join Boston, you will be poised to displace LeBron James as the Michael Jordan of your generation. If you join one of the top teams in the Western Conference, fair or not, you will become regarded as the Scottie Pippen of your generation. In Boston, your name will join the pantheon of Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and more. We firmly believe we are positioned to solidify your legacy as one of the all-time greats.

Unlike Miami and the others, we can get you any free agent you want or anyone on the trading block. Unlike Miami and the others, our best players are youthful, growing and we are loaded with future draft picks, so you will be a contender with us for the next decade.

Last but not least, Russ appears to have his eyes set on LA next year, so the Thunder can only offer you one more shot at a championship in a talent-loaded Western Conference. Our front office never would have let James Harden leave. We saw how tough the road in the West was last year. In the East, it will just be you versus LeBron, a matchup you will win in Boston. Let's win some championships together.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:50:52 PM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's hard to look at this without green tinted glasses. If I was Durant and I REALLY cared about winning and nothing else. San Antonio,Boston and maybe the Clippers are the only teams I'd consider. The Knicks are a joke, the Heat are getting old, and I just think running to GSW after they bounced you in the playoffs is poor taste.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Path is clearer, with only the Cavs in our way.  We have to construct a team that he feels confident will be the Cavs. Will require getting some additional assets either through trade or FA.  Horford alone doesn't do it. I hope we don't waste money on him.

Our chances are pretty slim that KD will come here, and I certainly don't want to sign, or trade for, other guys as an inducement, only to have him say, "thanks, but no thanks."

I really hope he stays in OK to be honest.  I want us to build a championship with our own picks, the way GS did.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 06:35:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

If you don't have a case to make for KD joining us, don't say anything at all.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:13 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Free crab legs. All you want. Forever.

But if that doesn't work, I'm going to point to something else. Every team has money. Every team has a story about why they're The Next Big Thing. And many other teams have history or culture.

But they don't have Boston sports fans. Look at the way that the city rallied around Tom Brady after Deflategate. Hell, we were so passionate that the freakin' commissioner of the league couldn't come to the opening game because he feared for his safety (Okay, maybe we shouldn't brag about that.). Vendors are making a living selling t-shirts with his name on them. That could be you. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, out there that compares to the Boston sports community.

Look dude, there's a reason that the American Revolution started in Boston. Don't you want us at your back, that passion, that fire? Because you sure as hell don't want to be against us. Choose wisely, my friend.

Mike