Author Topic: Ainge Draft 2016: A+  (Read 8547 times)

Re: Ainge Draft 2016: A+
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think a lot of this is just fueled by how awful talk radio has become in this town...It's as if fox news and msnbc have invaded and we just get a bunch of uninformed panelist talking.  If you listed to WEEI the only show that had the slightest clue was Holley, Arnold, and Thornton......and forget Felgar and Mazz.  Most of these shows didn't have the slightest idea who the top prospects were let alone what their strength and weaknesses might be.
Uninformed Boston sports media? Ok now I KNOW you are from the Celtics front office.

Wait, you don't actually think Felger and Mazz know what their talking about when it comes to basketball, do you?

It's amusing how aggressively ignorant Felger is, especially when it comes to basketball.
More broadly, a lot of the problems are set up by the media (who have the attention span of toddlers) raising entirely unrealistic expectations, do something anything, do the wrong this just so we aren't BORED!'n

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 09:05:14 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think a lot of this is just fueled by how awful talk radio has become in this town...It's as if fox news and msnbc have invaded and we just get a bunch of uninformed panelist talking.  If you listed to WEEI the only show that had the slightest clue was Holley, Arnold, and Thornton......and forget Felgar and Mazz.  Most of these shows didn't have the slightest idea who the top prospects were let alone what their strength and weaknesses might be.
Uninformed Boston sports media? Ok now I KNOW you are from the Celtics front office.

Wait, you don't actually think Felger and Mazz know what their talking about when it comes to basketball, do you?

It's amusing how aggressively ignorant Felger is, especially when it comes to basketball.
More broadly, a lot of the problems are set up by the media (who have the attention span of toddlers) raising entirely unrealistic expectations, do something anything, do the wrong this just so we aren't BORED!'n
I stopped listening to Boston broadcast radio sports talk when I got satellite radio in my car. I now listen to NBA Radio in Sirius and it is MUCH better.  Lots of very informed commentators including former players like Eddie Johnson, Rick Mahorn, Brendan Haywood, Antonio Davis. Their regular radio journalists are actually well-informed: Justin Termine, Brian Gelzeier, Frank Isola. 

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I have to see these guys play before I would dare give out any grades, but I like Brown a lot.  I've seen the knock on him being his shooting but with Isaiah Thomas he was knocking down threes like it was nothing. 

I'm really intrigued by Yabe... lets just leave it at Yab, or Gerschon.  He seems powerfully built with some long arms, good size, and some real basketball skills.  I can't say I've seen anything more than workout video and highlight vids but he seems promising.

Zizic seems like a really tough inside player.  He dominated his professional league at 19yrs old.  And not with shooting or passing but with toughness.  I like that.  Maybe some of it can rub off on KO.

I have to say I was a Jon Snow on Bentil, I knew nothing, but I watched the NCAA game against Butler highlights of his 38 pts and WOW.  Another 6'8" guy who is athletic and can shoot.  I'll take it.

Loved Demetrius Jackson at Notre Dame.  That was pretty much a two man team with him and August and those two carried ND.

The Iowa State kid I never heard of and I am pretty sure he is the Colton Iverson of the 2016 NBA draft in that the Celtics will hold his rights and he will never see a court in America again.

All in all, I'm pretty stoked to see what these guys will look like in the SL.  I hope they all play in the SL.  I think whether we see them in Boston or not might depend on what we get done in free agency more than how they perform.  I can't wait.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Right now, I am giving it a B to B- that could improve with players playing and showing they merited the pick.

I am ok with Brown, but I think Ainge got outmaneuvered in some cases.

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A+? :o

Maybe if 'A' stood for asinine ;D.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Having been a member of this forum (through different handles) for the last 6 years, I have to say the state of the New England sports fan is getting embarrassing.  Suddenly because we read a few articles we become experts on who the best pick is or better yet how to manage a roster and cap space.  The truth is that most of these fans are casual fans who just like to hear their own thoughts in writing or hear their own voice when they call in to sports talk radio.

I generally like the debate that goes on in this forum...who to pick, who to trade, what free agents we should chase, or our thoughts on the previous nights game, but during draft night I opted to stay away after logging on to see the freak out reaction to the Jaylen Brown pick. 

The funny thing is that everyone on this forum should have anticipated the pick....we had thread after thread about how Brown was a fit for Stevens and more importantly an Ainge type pick.  Even A.Sharrod got this one right.

I particularly like Chad Finn's article linked below...

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/06/24/lets-watch-jaylen-brown-play

And for those of you calling for Danny's head realize many others didn't view his draft at all similar to the way many of our fans did.  In fact Fox Sports gave the Celts and A+

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2016-nba-draft-grades-winners-and-losers-062416

Boston Celtics
Round 1: Jaylen Brown, SF, California (3); Guerschon Yabusele, PF, France (16); Ante Zizic, C, Croatia (23)
Round 2: Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame (45); Ben Bentil, PF, Providence (51); Abdel Nader, PF, Iowa State (58)
Grade: A+

My goodness did Boston have a great night.

The Celtics used the third pick on arguably the third-best player in this draft (Brown), who also happens to fill an immediate need for them (wing scoring). Yabusele should be able to develop into a physical presence down low, and Zizic might be the second-best "true" international prospect in this draft behind only Dragan Bender. He'll need time, but could develop into a big-time rotation player.

What put Boston over the top, however, was adding two first-round-caliber talents (Jackson and Bentil) in the second round. Jackson specifically might be the steal of the draft, as an ultra-quick guard who averaged 18 points at Notre Dame and tested off the charts at the Combine.

I'm not sure how Danny Ainge did it, but he got five guys who could one day be rotation players in Boston.

This is completely accurate and I agree.  It absolutely amazes me that Celtics "fans" are complaining about getting a guy who was the #2 rated player coming out of high school, only behind Ben Simmons.  And we are adding him to a team that almost won 50 games.  With the whole team coming back.  And we NEED him and his play style more than any other need.

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Having been a member of this forum (through different handles) for the last 6 years, I have to say the state of the New England sports fan is getting embarrassing.  Suddenly because we read a few articles we become experts on who the best pick is or better yet how to manage a roster and cap space.  The truth is that most of these fans are casual fans who just like to hear their own thoughts in writing or hear their own voice when they call in to sports talk radio.

I generally like the debate that goes on in this forum...who to pick, who to trade, what free agents we should chase, or our thoughts on the previous nights game, but during draft night I opted to stay away after logging on to see the freak out reaction to the Jaylen Brown pick. 

The funny thing is that everyone on this forum should have anticipated the pick....we had thread after thread about how Brown was a fit for Stevens and more importantly an Ainge type pick.  Even A.Sharrod got this one right.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/06/24/lets-watch-jaylen-brown-play

And for those of you calling for Danny's head realize many others didn't view his draft at all similar to the way many of our fans did.  In fact Fox Sports gave the Celts and A+

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2016-nba-draft-grades-winners-and-losers-062416

Boston Celtics
Round 1: Jaylen Brown, SF, California (3); Guerschon Yabusele, PF, France (16); Ante Zizic, C, Croatia (23)
Round 2: Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame (45); Ben Bentil, PF, Providence (51); Abdel Nader, PF, Iowa State (58)

The Celtics used the third pick on arguably the third-best player in this draft (Brown), who also happens to fill an immediate need for them (wing scoring). Yabusele should be able to develop into a physical presence down low, and Zizic might be the second-best "true" international prospect in this draft behind only Dragan Bender. He'll need time, but could develop into a big-time rotation player.

What put Boston over the top, however, was adding two first-round-caliber talents (Jackson and Bentil) in the second round. Jackson specifically might be the steal of the draft, as an ultra-quick guard who averaged 18 points at Notre Dame and tested off the charts at the Combine.

I'm not sure how Danny Ainge did it, but he got five guys who could one day be rotation players in Boston.

This is completely accurate and I agree.  It absolutely amazes me that Celtics "fans" are complaining about getting a guy who was the #2 rated player coming out of high school, only behind Ben Simmons.  And we are adding him to a team that almost won 50 games.  With the whole team coming back.  And we NEED him and his play style more than any other need.

Lol pass me that kool aid

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I sincerely doubt the Celts are better than fourth or fifth on the list of possible destinations for Durant and Horford, so forgive me if I don't place much value on the conserving cap space thing.

That said, I didn't really like any of the rumored deals.
You have to show you have a future for one to sign with the two nets picks coming. Durant and Holford know we are going to continue to get better. NO other team has that to offer. I also feel all of young player have not played a career year yet. The Future is bright in Boston. Also I agree with the NBA body look for Da. I think KO And Sully thought DA more about bodies.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Don't know if it's A+ but I think he drafted very well.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Keep in mind this is the same guy that gave OKC an A+++++ for doing the ibaka for dipo+sabonis deal.

Whilst I liked the deal, im not sure it warrants that response.

Grain of salt.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
You're with the Celtics front office aren't you? It won't work.

LOL .....TP .....Hee Hee ... ;)

Red Claws should sell well .    Could this draft lead to a run a way Red Claws title.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yes A+

(I'm also working for FO, didn't you know by now?)

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Boston Celtics

Thank you. Thank you very much and tps far into the future. An informed, reasonable, and much needed post as so many here were teetering on the edge of emotional implosion. I have been disappointed with the vitriol that had oozed out in so many threads.

The first article you linked to was terrific as well.  I hope we all take away some positives from it.

Thanks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 11:26:47 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

They're smart enough to know this team promised fireworks a long time ago and failed big time while other GMs got it done.
Eja, I really enjoy your posts here,but since the draft you have entered the world of internet trolls. Please check your own posts and you will see them littered with negativity, accusations, denial, and distain.

Please, go get someone to exorcise those evil spirits and return to the world of fun posting. You are much better doing that. ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
Yeah, I'll doff my cap to Ainge as well - when he actually does something meaningful in free agency.

Considering all the times that Cry Wolf Grousbeck has shot his mouth off without squat happening, you're going to have to excuse me if I suspect that what you see from the draft is what you're going to get from the 2017 Treadmill to Nowhere Celtics.
Gee, another negative non sequitur from coach bo. Who would have thought? ;D
- Vandana Shiva