Author Topic: Ainge Draft 2016: A+  (Read 8590 times)

Ainge Draft 2016: A+
« on: June 25, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Having been a member of this forum (through different handles) for the last 6 years, I have to say the state of the New England sports fan is getting embarrassing.  Suddenly because we read a few articles we become experts on who the best pick is or better yet how to manage a roster and cap space.  The truth is that most of these fans are casual fans who just like to hear their own thoughts in writing or hear their own voice when they call in to sports talk radio.

I generally like the debate that goes on in this forum...who to pick, who to trade, what free agents we should chase, or our thoughts on the previous nights game, but during draft night I opted to stay away after logging on to see the freak out reaction to the Jaylen Brown pick. 

The funny thing is that everyone on this forum should have anticipated the pick....we had thread after thread about how Brown was a fit for Stevens and more importantly an Ainge type pick.  Even A.Sharrod got this one right.

I particularly like Chad Finn's article linked below...

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2016/06/24/lets-watch-jaylen-brown-play

And for those of you calling for Danny's head realize many others didn't view his draft at all similar to the way many of our fans did.  In fact Fox Sports gave the Celts and A+

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/2016-nba-draft-grades-winners-and-losers-062416

Boston Celtics
Round 1: Jaylen Brown, SF, California (3); Guerschon Yabusele, PF, France (16); Ante Zizic, C, Croatia (23)
Round 2: Demetrius Jackson, PG, Notre Dame (45); Ben Bentil, PF, Providence (51); Abdel Nader, PF, Iowa State (58)
Grade: A+

My goodness did Boston have a great night.

The Celtics used the third pick on arguably the third-best player in this draft (Brown), who also happens to fill an immediate need for them (wing scoring). Yabusele should be able to develop into a physical presence down low, and Zizic might be the second-best "true" international prospect in this draft behind only Dragan Bender. He'll need time, but could develop into a big-time rotation player.

What put Boston over the top, however, was adding two first-round-caliber talents (Jackson and Bentil) in the second round. Jackson specifically might be the steal of the draft, as an ultra-quick guard who averaged 18 points at Notre Dame and tested off the charts at the Combine.

I'm not sure how Danny Ainge did it, but he got five guys who could one day be rotation players in Boston.
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

Bender>Brown>Dunn>Murray>Hield

Re: Ainge Draft 2016: A+
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 03:33:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You're with the Celtics front office aren't you? It won't work.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
You're with the Celtics front office aren't you? It won't work.

Yup...in their Portland Maine office.   
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Some fans are still very upset Deytona Davis was passed up lol

it seems like he was the one like EVERYONE wanted. From the fans attending the event to fans here

Sorry to laugh but it was hilarious to see

Yessssssss Davis

but then a sec later. **** Danny. WHAT??!!?

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I agree with you.  Brown was #1 on my binkie list. Also figured Ainge would pull out something good at 16 people didn't expect. I just couldn't come up with the one and knew it. Ainge did that so hats off to him.  He then got a physical offensive and defensive center who can run the floor at 23.  Then took the bpa and sparkplugs in the 2nd round.

He basically did everything I was trying to do.  I have no complaints.  It was between Brown and Bender to me if we were keeping the pick and Brown is a good choice I feel.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
I think a lot of this is just fueled by how awful talk radio has become in this town...It's as if fox news and msnbc have invaded and we just get a bunch of uninformed panelist talking.  If you listed to WEEI the only show that had the slightest clue was Holley, Arnold, and Thornton......and forget Felgar and Mazz.  Most of these shows didn't have the slightest idea who the top prospects were let alone what their strength and weaknesses might be.

2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 03:50:33 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I also like that he didn't go with the consensus on Davis and did what the celtics needed to do there and traded away a couple picks and picked up a 1st down the road.  Smart drafting.  We got Zizic and didn't need Davis.  Zizic is more physically and mentally ready.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think a lot of this is just fueled by how awful talk radio has become in this town...It's as if fox news and msnbc have invaded and we just get a bunch of uninformed panelist talking.  If you listed to WEEI the only show that had the slightest clue was Holley, Arnold, and Thornton......and forget Felgar and Mazz.  Most of these shows didn't have the slightest idea who the top prospects were let alone what their strength and weaknesses might be.
Uninformed Boston sports media? Ok now I KNOW you are from the Celtics front office.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 03:52:39 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think a lot of fans were disappointed Ainge didn't make a trade draft night--with Chicago, Milwaukee or Philly. Dunn was viewed as a highly tradeable piece.

What I didn't realize is his strategy was to conserve cap space for free agency--no trades--so he had enough space to sign two max players. And the guys he is targeting are Durant and Horford. Horford apparently is someone Durant told Ainge he would like to play with.

Ainge didn't disclose his thinking after the draft directly. But it's clear now that was central to his strategy. He was looking beyond the draft.

You look at the draft from that standpoint, and I think he did very well. Chad Ford rated his draft A- for talent, F for addressing needs thru trades, etc. I'm sure Chad would like to change his grade, FWIW, now it's clear what Danny's aim was.

This doesn't mean Horford and Durant are in the bag. Other FA options are available, and trades can always be made. But he is setting aside the cap space and position openings for those two guys right now.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 03:54:42 PM »

Offline RedClaw33

• The Green Kornet
I also like that he didn't go with the consensus on Davis and did what the celtics needed to do there and traded away a couple picks and picked up a 1st down the road.  Smart drafting.  We got Zizic and didn't need Davis.  Zizic is more physically and mentally ready.

Zizic was also projected as a Celtics pick for several weeks leading up to the draft....only at the 16 spot.
2016 Draft Board #3 Pick

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Zizic was also projected as a Celtics pick for several weeks leading up to the draft....only at the 16 spot.

This is what I don't understand about the media.  They are saying we were reaching. They are the ones who had these guys going much higher than they actually went. Same with Davis.

Had we taken what the consensus said CBS or Ford or whatever would have given us an A because in his mind he was overrating some of these other big men.  I can't stand that style of drafting where people overrate college big men.  Ford had guys like Cole Aldrich rated high.  The Zellers etc.  Year after year these supposed experts do this.

Davis I think has a chance to be better than that, but he could be John Henson too. He's a gamble. 

Ellenson is the same thing.  Zizic is actually like a Steven Adams player I feel.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 03:59:56 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Uninformed Boston sports media? Ok now I KNOW you are from the Celtics front office.

They are pretty misinformed doe. Almost purposely. Except for Jones, Keith, and some guys on Saturday, everyone is pretty weak in knowledge on basketball and they admit it..eh

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

They have a kid  pretty much like Davis in Mickey--and they'll probably use him a lot more this year. Davis is a 19yo kid who can jump thru the roof and block shots. But he doesn't have an NBA body yet, and is a couple years away. The guys Danny drafted at 16 and 23 are bangers with NBA bodies right now. And with more experience in Europe. That PF from Providence who can shoot also has an NBA now body. Brown, of course, too. Do I detect a trend in Danny's thinking?

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 Zizic=Steven Adams.  Davis could be John Henson for all we know right now. Zizic is a good pick I feel.  He's our Ezeli or a guy like that.  It's a smart pick by Ainge.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 04:07:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Zizic=Steven Adams.  Davis could be John Henson for all we know right now. Zizic is a good pick I feel.  He's our Ezeli or a guy like that.  It's a smart pick by Ainge.

BTW---Zizic has some Kevin McHale shoulders.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.