Author Topic: To those criticizing Ainge  (Read 12035 times)

Re: To those criticizing Ainge
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2016, 08:45:54 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
People invest too much time and spend too much money to not be able to criticize Ainge.  He hasn't drafted anyone good since he drafted Bradley.

Smart?

« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Here's the thing about fireworks. At least wait until July 4th to see if any go off. In my neighborhood, there's regulations about when we can even light them. We have our meeting with KD on July 1st, supposedly. He's leaving for a shoe tour on July 9th and his decision is expected before then. If you're lounging on a grassy hill eating a hot dog whining about the lack of fireworks going off on June 26th, you'll look kind of silly. Let's wait until the scheduled time next month for the show and first see if Boston shoots off some duds. We aren't even there yet.

This is fair. In the case of Durant, I agree—we won't know until July 9 (or perhaps a few days sooner).

In general, however, we've already waited through "July 4th" several times—the recent draft, the last trade deadline, last summer, last year's draft, etc. I don't think Danny's made any dumb moves; in fact, he's made some pretty smart moves, albeit on a smaller scale (JJ, Amir, Crowder, IT). But, as greece666 said, the typical cycle of hype-hope-horror is already happening again with Durant.

Anyone upset with Ainge needs to clam down and be patient
We are in the process and next summer will be the true key for fireworks

I truly mean no offense, but it's statements like this one that have led to lots of Cs fans (myself included) getting our expectations up. High expectations are partly the fault of those of us who let our expectations be raised, but between Wyc's talk of fireworks and certain Cs fans saying things like "just wait until (fill in the blank—next summer/next trade deadline, etc.), it's exceedingly difficult to not hope or get excited for "what might happen."

For me, I wasn't disappointed with the Brown pick—not at first, anyway. As the night went on, though, and legit basketball reporters such as Woj were saying things like "The Celtics are in negotiations with Chicago for Jimmy Butler" (or something to that effect), and then those things didn't come to pass, and then I learned about certain picks being draft-and-stash, and other picks being traded for future picks ... well, seeing the can get kicked down the road yet again was pretty disappointing. And then I saw the disappointment others were expressing, and I let myself get sucked into it even worse, and I started thinking more about Brown, like, "Great, another player who can't shoot well." Etc.

He's growing on me, though, and I also understand more now about what the optimists are saying (though I think that some people are a little extreme in their optimism, but I digress), so I'm going to try to stay patient with all of this—but without expecting much.  ;D

Nailed it. It has happened to me too, as my expectations for the Rondo trade had become too high based on what I was reading.

And I should say I can see this happening already. It's not like people are waiting for the next summer.

Now it is KD. How high are our chances for KD realistically? 10, maybe 15 %? And you can still find line ups based on KD coming here ('First we sign KD, this convinces Horford to come, then a couple of elite veterans etc'). It's this build up of expectations that leads to disappointment.

It's great that we have a meeting with KD, which means we have a legit chance—but what are the actual odds? 10-15%, as greece666 suggests? Maybe slightly higher, or slightly lower? So, while we have a legit chance, that chance isn't high. Yet most people around here are already salivating over the possibility of KD and Horford, making it seem like it's more likely than not.

If Boston somehow pulls off signing KD, I'll be ecstatic, and I'll also be happy to eat crow if necessary. But it seems unlikely to me. And don't get me wrong—I respect Danny for having a general plan (improving incrementally while maintaining flexibility for any big opportunities) and sticking to it. But unless and until something like that happens, it's all sound and fury signifying nothing.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2016, 09:23:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
People invest too much time and spend too much money to not be able to criticize Ainge.  He hasn't drafted anyone good since he drafted Bradley.

Smart?
He said "good." Not "ok."

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2016, 09:24:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ainge has made terrible decisions in the last couple of years via the draft and ya know he's not making attempts to really get guys.  When I see Tobias Harris gettin picked up and we miss out but attempt to sign javale McGee.  I have to question Danny's thinking. When we needed a SF last year, we pick a point guard.  We trade up for jelly olynyk and let gorgi deng go even though we need a rebounder.

His trading has been decent but now it's caught up with him.  He no longer has stars to attach to the picks to move them and GM's aren't interested in ainge and his cat and mouse games.  Teams are trying to get better.  Ainge and whc just wanna save some [dang] money.

The way I see it, we are one of 6 finalists to land Durant.  That's a position we arguably wouldn't be in had we brought in a contract like Tobias Harris.   So I understand the disappointment, but ainge clearly aims high and he's done everything he can to put this team in position to make a leap to a contender.   Let's at least wait to see if he fails before claiming he failed.

But that's part of my issue with ainge. How many years of rumor threads do we have to go through of Love to Boston or horford top spot for Celtics, etc, etc. before ainge makes a move.  Is it fair of ainge to let the fan base wait and wait for that superstar to come in while he scoffs at guys that could help us.  All the fa base has talked about is that if we have X,y players then z will come.  Now they'll come because we have money?  Big deal so does a lot of other teams and more will next year.  I remember the disappointment when the pacers took...david west out from under us.  There is no guarantee so why put all your hopes into what might not be.  Take advantage of opportunity before it's too late.  I think ainge got bit in the ass this year in that very scenario...waiting too long.  Which leads me back to one of my points.  The front office wants to save money.

It's our fault for seeking for rumors, believing them, and investing in them by getting our hopes up and then disappointing ourselves. The majority of rumors are either completely false or highly inaccurate. Pretty much all GMs say this.

Ainge himself also said repeatedly that he was after KG for 3 years before we got him. 3 years! We didn't hear about it until after the draft in 2007, but he was after him since 2004. Imagine if we had heard the rumors in 2004, we would have all been totally depressed by 2007. Instead we were all pumped. Its a matter of perspective, and of having all the facts, which we don't.

I trust Ainge , and I trust when he says he is always looking to acquire superstars. I believe he lays the groundwork for certain players years ahead of time, in case the pieces all land together and he can make the move. Sometimes the pieces don't all come together, sometimes it takes a few years to develop, like a slowly developing offensive play on the court for example.

Quit the dog and pony show please. The only move Ainge made was Garnett Allen 9 seasons ago. 9

I have an idea, let's wait until 2020 when ADavis is a FA

How many seasons did we miss the playoffs during our rebuild after the departure of KG and Pierce.

One or two?

Now we are a perennial playoff team, estimated 50 win/season team, with a tone of cap space and lottery picks to use, and a fantastic young coach and great reputation around the league.

I'd say thats pretty amazing.

Its about Championships. If i want to just make the playoffs, I'll root for the Twolves
TP

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2016, 09:40:11 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Ainge has made terrible decisions in the last couple of years via the draft and ya know he's not making attempts to really get guys.  When I see Tobias Harris gettin picked up and we miss out but attempt to sign javale McGee.  I have to question Danny's thinking. When we needed a SF last year, we pick a point guard.  We trade up for jelly olynyk and let gorgi deng go even though we need a rebounder.

His trading has been decent but now it's caught up with him.  He no longer has stars to attach to the picks to move them and GM's aren't interested in ainge and his cat and mouse games.  Teams are trying to get better.  Ainge and whc just wanna save some [dang] money.

The way I see it, we are one of 6 finalists to land Durant.  That's a position we arguably wouldn't be in had we brought in a contract like Tobias Harris.   So I understand the disappointment, but ainge clearly aims high and he's done everything he can to put this team in position to make a leap to a contender.   Let's at least wait to see if he fails before claiming he failed.

But that's part of my issue with ainge. How many years of rumor threads do we have to go through of Love to Boston or horford top spot for Celtics, etc, etc. before ainge makes a move.  Is it fair of ainge to let the fan base wait and wait for that superstar to come in while he scoffs at guys that could help us.  All the fa base has talked about is that if we have X,y players then z will come.  Now they'll come because we have money?  Big deal so does a lot of other teams and more will next year.  I remember the disappointment when the pacers took...david west out from under us.  There is no guarantee so why put all your hopes into what might not be.  Take advantage of opportunity before it's too late.  I think ainge got bit in the ass this year in that very scenario...waiting too long.  Which leads me back to one of my points.  The front office wants to save money.

It's our fault for seeking for rumors, believing them, and investing in them by getting our hopes up and then disappointing ourselves. The majority of rumors are either completely false or highly inaccurate. Pretty much all GMs say this.

Ainge himself also said repeatedly that he was after KG for 3 years before we got him. 3 years! We didn't hear about it until after the draft in 2007, but he was after him since 2004. Imagine if we had heard the rumors in 2004, we would have all been totally depressed by 2007. Instead we were all pumped. Its a matter of perspective, and of having all the facts, which we don't.

I trust Ainge , and I trust when he says he is always looking to acquire superstars. I believe he lays the groundwork for certain players years ahead of time, in case the pieces all land together and he can make the move. Sometimes the pieces don't all come together, sometimes it takes a few years to develop, like a slowly developing offensive play on the court for example.

Quit the dog and pony show please. The only move Ainge made was Garnett Allen 9 seasons ago. 9

How many seasons did we miss the playoffs during our rebuild after the departure of KG and Pierce.

One or two?

Now we are a perennial playoff team, estimated 50 win/season team, with a tone of cap space and lottery picks to use, and a fantastic young coach and great reputation around the league.

Its about Championships. If i want to just make the playoffs, I'll root for the Twolves

TP. I could care less about being a perpetual playoff team.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

One or two?

TP. I could care less about being a perpetual playoff team.
I know. Seriously. Who the hell could care about being a perpetual playoff team?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 09:52:29 PM by eja117 »