Author Topic: To those criticizing Ainge  (Read 11893 times)

Re: To those criticizing Ainge
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brown has to be a good player, therer's gonna be a star that was picked behind him, so he was to be at least close to one. The more I watch the more he looks like Jeff Green  :-\
Thats the drawback of picking so high.  Inevitably one of the 57 guys taken after him will be better.   But I am not stressing over what he did or didn't do as a freshman.   He was better as a freshman than guys like Dunn and hield.  He plays positions that can give him minutes for us.  I'm excited about seeing him develop. 

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2016, 09:52:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Ainge has made terrible decisions in the last couple of years via the draft and ya know he's not making attempts to really get guys.  When I see Tobias Harris gettin picked up and we miss out but attempt to sign javale McGee.  I have to question Danny's thinking. When we needed a SF last year, we pick a point guard.  We trade up for jelly olynyk and let gorgi deng go even though we need a rebounder.

His trading has been decent but now it's caught up with him.  He no longer has stars to attach to the picks to move them and GM's aren't interested in ainge and his cat and mouse games.  Teams are trying to get better.  Ainge and whc just wanna save some [dang] money.

The way I see it, we are one of 6 finalists to land Durant.  That's a position we arguably wouldn't be in had we brought in a contract like Tobias Harris.   So I understand the disappointment, but ainge clearly aims high and he's done everything he can to put this team in position to make a leap to a contender.   Let's at least wait to see if he fails before claiming he failed.

But that's part of my issue with ainge. How many years of rumor threads do we have to go through of Love to Boston or horford top spot for Celtics, etc, etc. before ainge makes a move.  Is it fair of ainge to let the fan base wait and wait for that superstar to come in while he scoffs at guys that could help us.  All the fa base has talked about is that if we have X,y players then z will come.  Now they'll come because we have money?  Big deal so does a lot of other teams and more will next year.  I remember the disappointment when the pacers took...david west out from under us.  There is no guarantee so why put all your hopes into what might not be.  Take advantage of opportunity before it's too late.  I think ainge got bit in the ass this year in that very scenario...waiting too long.  Which leads me back to one of my points.  The front office wants to save money.

It's our fault for seeking for rumors, believing them, and investing in them by getting our hopes up and then disappointing ourselves. The majority of rumors are either completely false or highly inaccurate. Pretty much all GMs say this.

Ainge himself also said repeatedly that he was after KG for 3 years before we got him. 3 years! We didn't hear about it until after the draft in 2007, but he was after him since 2004. Imagine if we had heard the rumors in 2004, we would have all been totally depressed by 2007. Instead we were all pumped. Its a matter of perspective, and of having all the facts, which we don't.

I trust Ainge , and I trust when he says he is always looking to acquire superstars. I believe he lays the groundwork for certain players years ahead of time, in case the pieces all land together and he can make the move. Sometimes the pieces don't all come together, sometimes it takes a few years to develop, like a slowly developing offensive play on the court for example. Sometimes the play takes longer to develop, but if you don't have the right preparation and patience, it will never work.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:59:32 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge has made terrible decisions in the last couple of years via the draft and ya know he's not making attempts to really get guys.  When I see Tobias Harris gettin picked up and we miss out but attempt to sign javale McGee.  I have to question Danny's thinking. When we needed a SF last year, we pick a point guard.  We trade up for jelly olynyk and let gorgi deng go even though we need a rebounder.

His trading has been decent but now it's caught up with him.  He no longer has stars to attach to the picks to move them and GM's aren't interested in ainge and his cat and mouse games.  Teams are trying to get better.  Ainge and whc just wanna save some [dang] money.

The way I see it, we are one of 6 finalists to land Durant.  That's a position we arguably wouldn't be in had we brought in a contract like Tobias Harris.   So I understand the disappointment, but ainge clearly aims high and he's done everything he can to put this team in position to make a leap to a contender.   Let's at least wait to see if he fails before claiming he failed.

But that's part of my issue with ainge. How many years of rumor threads do we have to go through of Love to Boston or horford top spot for Celtics, etc, etc. before ainge makes a move.  Is it fair of ainge to let the fan base wait and wait for that superstar to come in while he scoffs at guys that could help us.  All the fa base has talked about is that if we have X,y players then z will come.  Now they'll come because we have money?  Big deal so does a lot of other teams and more will next year.  I remember the disappointment when the pacers took...david west out from under us.  There is no guarantee so why put all your hopes into what might not be.  Take advantage of opportunity before it's too late.  I think ainge got bit in the ass this year in that very scenario...waiting too long.  Which leads me back to one of my points.  The front office wants to save money.

It's our fault for seeking for rumors, believing them, and investing in them by getting our hopes up and then disappointing ourselves. The majority of rumors are either completely false or highly inaccurate. Pretty much all GMs say this.

Ainge himself also said repeatedly that he was after KG for 3 years before we got him. 3 years! We didn't hear about it until after the draft in 2007, but he was after him since 2004. Imagine if we had heard the rumors in 2004, we would have all been totally depressed by 2007. Instead we were all pumped. Its a matter of perspective, and of having all the facts, which we don't.

I trust Ainge , and I trust when he says he is always looking to acquire superstars. I believe he lays the groundwork for certain players years ahead of time, in case the pieces all land together and he can make the move. Sometimes the pieces don't all come together, sometimes it takes a few years to develop, like a slowly developing offensive play on the court for example.

Quit the dog and pony show please. The only move Ainge made was Garnett Allen 9 seasons ago. 9

I have an idea, let's wait until 2020 when ADavis is a FA

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I trust Ainge , and I trust when he says he is always looking to acquire superstars. I believe he lays the groundwork for certain players years ahead of time, in case the pieces all land together and he can make the move. Sometimes the pieces don't all come together, sometimes it takes a few years to develop, like a slowly developing offensive play on the court for example.

Quit the dog and pony show please. The only move Ainge made was Garnett Allen 9 seasons ago. 9

How many seasons did we miss the playoffs during our rebuild after the departure of KG and Pierce.

One or two?

Now we are a perennial playoff team, estimated 50 win/season team, with a tone of cap space and lottery picks to use, and a fantastic young coach and great reputation around the league.

I'd say thats pretty amazing.

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Also, you may not know this, but the Garnett and Allen moves were preceded by several years of other, much less popular trades to set ourselves up for the KG and Ray moves. Remember Theo Ratliff's contract, for example? It took a lot of chess moves for several years by Ainge to get us in that position. Most fans don't know enough about this to appreciate it, but that is how large moves get made.

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Personally I think it's ridiculous to criticize him. 

This was the best post or article I have read on Celticsblog in 3 years.

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2016, 10:46:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Did anybody pay any attention whatsoever to the 24ish hours that were the draft?

Teague for the 12th pick. An all star for the 12th pick. That was a great trade.

I also absolutely do not believe that there wasn't a decent trade to be had for the 3rd pick. Don't believe it. Don't come here with that.

The trade we made with the 2nds for the future first. It was decent.

Robin Lopez and Jerian Grant for D Rose is pretty good.

You have no credibility after that.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:54:50 PM by mctyson »

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2016, 04:11:19 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Anyone upset with Ainge needs to clam down and be patient
We are in the process and next summer will be the true key for fireworks

I truly mean no offense, but it's statements like this one that have led to lots of Cs fans (myself included) getting our expectations up. High expectations are partly the fault of those of us who let our expectations be raised, but between Wyc's talk of fireworks and certain Cs fans saying things like "just wait until (fill in the blank—next summer/next trade deadline, etc.), it's exceedingly difficult to not hope or get excited for "what might happen."

For me, I wasn't disappointed with the Brown pick—not at first, anyway. As the night went on, though, and legit basketball reporters such as Woj were saying things like "The Celtics are in negotiations with Chicago for Jimmy Butler" (or something to that effect), and then those things didn't come to pass, and then I learned about certain picks being draft-and-stash, and other picks being traded for future picks ... well, seeing the can get kicked down the road yet again was pretty disappointing. And then I saw the disappointment others were expressing, and I let myself get sucked into it even worse, and I started thinking more about Brown, like, "Great, another player who can't shoot well." Etc.

He's growing on me, though, and I also understand more now about what the optimists are saying (though I think that some people are a little extreme in their optimism, but I digress), so I'm going to try to stay patient with all of this—but without expecting much.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2016, 04:15:08 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I truly mean no offense, but it's statements like this one that have led to lots of Cs fans (myself included) getting our expectations up. High expectations are partly the fault of those of us who let our expectations be raised, but between Wyc's talk of fireworks and certain Cs fans saying things like "just wait until (fill in the blank—next summer/next trade deadline, etc.), it's exceedingly difficult to not hope or get excited for "what might happen."

For me, I wasn't disappointed with the Brown pick—not at first, anyway. As the night went on, though, and legit basketball reporters such as Woj were saying things like "The Celtics are in negotiations with Chicago for Jimmy Butler" (or something to that effect), and then those things didn't come to pass, and then I learned about certain picks being draft-and-stash, and other picks being traded for future picks ... well, seeing the can get kicked down the road yet again was pretty disappointing. And then I saw the disappointment others were expressing, and I let myself get sucked into it even worse, and I started thinking more about Brown, like, "Great, another player who can't shoot well." Etc.

He's growing on me, though, and I also understand more now about what the optimists are saying (though I think that some people are a little extreme in their optimism, but I digress), so I'm going to try to stay patient with all of this—but without expecting much.  ;D

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2016, 04:47:40 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Yeah, pretty much.  :)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2016, 05:59:52 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Did anybody pay any attention whatsoever to the 24ish hours that were the draft?

Teague for the 12th pick. An all star for the 12th pick. That was a great trade.

I also absolutely do not believe that there wasn't a decent trade to be had for the 3rd pick. Don't believe it. Don't come here with that.

The trade we made with the 2nds for the future first. It was decent.

Robin Lopez and Jerian Grant for D Rose is pretty good.

You have no credibility after that.

Honestly he lost his credibility with me awhile back.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
bunch of idiots booing ainge and wyc in front othe world while we are trying everything to bring durant here- great picture of fanbase and organization- fans owe an apology to those drafted and the celtics organization that works so hard-short term gratification mixed with sense of entitlement-it was enbarrassing
tp to you!

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »

Offline Green-Bananas

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11

My only concern with the pick was that "Maybe" Ainge could have traded down a couple spots and
got him then. "Maybe"? Sometimes I wonder if Danny is competing against himself on draft night?

Prior to the draft, everything I read and watched about Brown was unimpressive for the 3rd pick.
I read/ watched his weaknesses before I watched his slash and dunk highlights.
Watch the James Young highlights from college, he could slash and dunk too, at that level.

When they brought him in for a second look, I knew this was their man. It was the same way
when Danny drafted Rondo.  I didn't like Rondo at the time either, but I was wrong. So I
trust Danny knows more then us, or the media about evaluating talent. Over all I'm very pleased
with the ownership, and Danny is a shrewd GM. It takes time, all the other GM's are trying to
make their teams better, Danny just has to be ready when one of them slips up. That's how close it is. 

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

What dog and pony show?

From 2007-2012 the Celtics were a legitimate title contender.  Ainge built that team.  Immediately after the KG/Allen trades, people complained (see Bob Ryan).  People said they didn't have a bench.  People said they couldn't win with a rookie PG.  But Ainge's free agent signings and especially his draft picks helped support the core of the best Celtics teams since Larry Bird and Kevin McHale.  They were only limited by age and injuries.

You can complain that maybe he held on to Pierce and KG too long.  Maybe he should have moved them, and Rondo, after their last ECF finals appearance and loss.  Maybe there would have been a team that surrendered a Steph Curry or Kawhi Leonard to us for a few years of KG/Pierce/Rondo.  I guarantee this blog would have flipped regardless, but especially after losing in the 4th quarter of Game 7 against Lebron in ECF the reaction here would have been priceless.

So in reality, we are not talking about 9 years, as you state it, without building a title contending team.  We are talking more like 4. 

And in that time Danny has TRADED for Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder, and given up a pile of nothing to get them.  He has traded for multiple first round picks to stock our player pipeline for a decade.  The players he traded for turned this team into a contender - maybe not a title contender yet - but a contender.  No one who followed them this past season would say the team is 'stuck in mediocrity' or 'on a treadmill' or 'in an NBA wasteland.'  They are the 4th youngest team in the league, actually just got younger, have an excellent coach and a great team attitude, and with a little improvement they are legitimately in position to become the 2nd best team in the East behind the NBA Champions.

The wins against GSW and Cleveland on the road were not flukes.  This team has a chance.  And Danny built it.  So quit complaining.

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2016, 08:51:47 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

What dog and pony show?

From 2007-2012 the Celtics were a legitimate title contender.  Ainge built that team.  Immediately after the KG/Allen trades, people complained (see Bob Ryan).  People said they didn't have a bench.  People said they couldn't win with a rookie PG.  But Ainge's free agent signings and especially his draft picks helped support the core of the best Celtics teams since Larry Bird and Kevin McHale.  They were only limited by age and injuries.

You can complain that maybe he held on to Pierce and KG too long.  Maybe he should have moved them, and Rondo, after their last ECF finals appearance and loss.  Maybe there would have been a team that surrendered a Steph Curry or Kawhi Leonard to us for a few years of KG/Pierce/Rondo.  I guarantee this blog would have flipped regardless, but especially after losing in the 4th quarter of Game 7 against Lebron in ECF the reaction here would have been priceless.

So in reality, we are not talking about 9 years, as you state it, without building a title contending team.  We are talking more like 4. 

And in that time Danny has TRADED for Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder, and given up a pile of nothing to get them.  He has traded for multiple first round picks to stock our player pipeline for a decade.  The players he traded for turned this team into a contender - maybe not a title contender yet - but a contender.  No one who followed them this past season would say the team is 'stuck in mediocrity' or 'on a treadmill' or 'in an NBA wasteland.'  They are the 4th youngest team in the league, actually just got younger, have an excellent coach and a great team attitude, and with a little improvement they are legitimately in position to become the 2nd best team in the East behind the NBA Champions.

The wins against GSW and Cleveland on the road were not flukes.  This team has a chance.  And Danny built it.  So quit complaining.
Yea that's what we're all waiting for..the improvements.  Don't is yourself he knew what he had in thimas but not crowder or anyone else.  Bottom line is ainge still has yet to get us a superstar after all his posturing and smokescreens.