Author Topic: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?  (Read 5854 times)

Re: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Kyler confirming the report. Said he is also hearing that Durant may not sign a one year deal. May do a full commitment Becaus he doesn't want to be a distraction. Also said market doesn't matter. Roster, future and coaching.

Well we got those 2 nailed and our roster is underrated and with the cap space we can improve it. I had no hope for him but right now looks like w have a real shot.

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 05:23:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we got Durant and Horford, I would expect Danny to package all his picks and young talent (Think Smart, Jaylen Brown) and add another big piece to our team. Probably a PF or Center.

But to answer your question, yes Celtics now + Durant, Horford and another good player Ainge would trade for COULD = banner 18

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Unfortunately, this is one of the areas that a Noel trade would've helped us with.

KO is simply just not a championship-caliber starting 4, and unless you're going to convince Durant to play the 4 next to Horford, which seems very unlikely to say the least, you're going to have to somehow upgrade the 4/5 spot to seriously convince Durant to sign here. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Durant, Horford, and Noel is a much easier sell than IT, Bradley, Durant, KO, and Horford. Also, I don't think simply replacing KO with Crowder is a feasible option due to size advantages we'd be giving up.

So I'd try to sell Durant on teaming him up with Horford and us attaining Noel to shore up our frontcourt. If he'd agree to sign here with those moves, then I'd offer up Smart or Brown to the Sixers for Noel, preferably Brown since he'd essentially be needless now with Durant. If Embiid is still looking good, I think Philly would have to make that trade, because that would give them their future 3, 4, 5 in Brown, Simmons, and Embiid.

The offseason isn't over

Exactly. We could theoretically add Durant, Horford, and Noah in a few weeks. Noah is a vet, hard nose d, battle tested center who would fit very well next to Horford. Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard are also options. We can still trade a future pick for someone like Nurkic or even still trade for Noel if needed. The Sixers still have to move one of their centers. That didn't change thursday night, it's not like they traded Noel or Okafor to someone else and we missed out.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 05:33:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Unfortunately, this is one of the areas that a Noel trade would've helped us with.

KO is simply just not a championship-caliber starting 4, and unless you're going to convince Durant to play the 4 next to Horford, which seems very unlikely to say the least, you're going to have to somehow upgrade the 4/5 spot to seriously convince Durant to sign here. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Durant, Horford, and Noel is a much easier sell than IT, Bradley, Durant, KO, and Horford. Also, I don't think simply replacing KO with Crowder is a feasible option due to size advantages we'd be giving up.

So I'd try to sell Durant on teaming him up with Horford and us attaining Noel to shore up our frontcourt. If he'd agree to sign here with those moves, then I'd offer up Smart or Brown to the Sixers for Noel, preferably Brown since he'd essentially be needless now with Durant. If Embiid is still looking good, I think Philly would have to make that trade, because that would give them their future 3, 4, 5 in Brown, Simmons, and Embiid.

The offseason isn't over

Exactly. We could theoretically add Durant, Horford, and Noah in a few weeks. Noah is a vet, hard nose d, battle tested center who would fit very well next to Horford. Pau Gasol and Dwight Howard are also options. We can still trade a future pick for someone like Nurkic or even still trade for Noel if needed. The Sixers still have to move one of their centers. That didn't change thursday night, it's not like they traded Noel or Okafor to someone else and we missed out.

Unless you do some sort of sign and trade, there's no room for a third free agent after Durant and Horford, so those aren't really realistic options in Noah, Gasol, or Howard.

And if you read the bottom of my post, I suggest that the offseason isn't over and still say we should offer up someone like Brown to the 76ers for Noel if we get the other two. There's no reason to have Brown if we have Durant.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Just start Crowder or Amir at the 4. No problem. Or start KO, and it's not so bad when you have so three starting-quality players (Smart, Amir + Crowder) off the bench.

Amir's contract will have to be waived in order to fit KD and Horford, KO is not a legitimate starting option for a contender, and Crowder is too small to play the 4 full time. He'd be abused by the Kevin Loves and Lamarcus Aldridge's of the world.

KO wouldn't get abused.  How many teams run with two offensive bigs?  Horford can cover the better offensive big.  End of game situations would probably see Crowder out there instead of KO, since everyone goes small at the end of games these days.

Offensively KO would help create a lot of room for Durant to drive, since he'd pull a defender away from the paint.

My bigger concern is that a second unit featuring players like Smart, Crowder, and Brown could have shooting issues.  But KO in the starting 5 works absolutely fine.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The offseason isn't over

Unless you do some sort of sign and trade, there's no room for a third free agent after Durant and Horford, so those aren't really realistic options in Noah, Gasol, or Howard.

The real question is how much money is Noah willing to leave on the table to play with Horford and Durant? I have a feeling, sticking it to Lebron James, and everyone else, and Jimmy Butler especially by winning the championship in the city of Boston would serve him his just desserts.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The offseason isn't over

The real question is how much money is Noah willing to leave on the table to play with Horford and Durant? I have a feeling, sticking it to Lebron James, and everyone else, and Jimmy Butler especially by winning the championship in the city of Boston would serve him his just desserts.

To sign with the Celtics, he'd have to leave about $23 million on the table in the first year alone.  It's not happening.

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

The offseason isn't over

To sign with the Celtics, he'd have to leave about $23 million on the table in the first year alone.  It's not happening.

Noah, at this stage of his career, is not going to be getting huge dollar amount offers. Also, I'm sure he values winning. We also have options via trade to get him if needed.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 05:42:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The offseason isn't over

Noah, at this stage of his career, is not going to be getting huge dollar amount offers. Also, I'm sure he values winning. We also have options via trade to get him if needed.

There was a report yesterday that the Wizards were going to offer him the max.  It sounds idiotic, but it also sounds like the Wizards.  The Knicks also are reportedly interested, and known for poor financial decision-making.

I think Noah will get north of $15 million, and while I'd find the max dumb, I wouldn't be surprised.  We can offer him $2.9 million.  He's not coming here, even if we get Horford and KD.

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 05:44:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

The offseason isn't over

Maybe I'm wrong, reportedly the Wizards are prepared to offer him the max, and so are the TWolves and Knicks. There are always dumb GMs willing to overpay for a 31 year old center coming off major health issues I guess.

I don't understand the interest from the Twolves, wanting to give a max contract to a 31 year old when you have Towns and Dieng and still have Pekovic on the books too.

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The offseason isn't over

Maybe I'm wrong, reportedly the Wizards are prepared to offer him the max, and so are the TWolves and Knicks. There are always dumb GMs willing to overpay for a 31 year old center coming off major health issues I guess.

I don't understand the interest from the Twolves, wanting to give a max contract to a 31 year old when you have Towns and Dieng and still have Pekovic on the books too.

Firstly, Thibs hearts Noah.
Secondly, they could sign Noah to the max and still be under the cap, despite having a 15-person roster, as including Dunn, they have 14 players under contract.  I don't think that's the right idea, but that franchise hasn't seen the playoffs since KG was there the first time, and it makes sense to invest in good players that play the way you want.  If he can only give you 20 minutes a game, that's okay, because as you point out, they've got enough others who want minutes.  So he can be Noah for 20 minutes, run around like crazy and be intense, and hopefully the young guys follow his lead.

It's not a championship move, but the Wolves aren't a championship team.  I might not guarantee year 4 if I'm the wolves, but they don't need that cap room for the next few years.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 07:15:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Noah is a shadow of his former self.

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

If you real!y want Noel, you can always offer a future Nets pick.  You can also try to get Koufos or WCS from the Kings.  The trade with Memphis put the Celtics in a much better position to trade a couple of likely late firsts for a decent center.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2016, 08:15:20 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

If you real!y want Noel, you can always offer a future Nets pick.  You can also try to get Koufos or WCS from the Kings.  The trade with Memphis put the Celtics in a much better position to trade a couple of likely late firsts for a decent center.

Possibly trade Smart for Noel.

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Anthony Davis and KD might.