Author Topic: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?  (Read 5862 times)

Re: Does Durant + Horford Actually Make Us Contenders?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I think Durant will sign a Long term deal this summer with someone--like he said, he doesn't want to go through this again...which I think is good news.

C's should just be honest and straight forward in their pitch...no BS (except Brad Stevens)

and YES---we would be a Contender for years to come...Sign Horford, or Split the money on Pau Gasol and a shooter (Dudley-?)...keep Zeller for backup Center.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Obviously they would make us a lot better than what we have right now, and probably gets us 55-60 wins next season.

But I still feel that would not be a legitimate contender and there would still be a missing piece. And after signing both to max-contracts we won't have any more $$$ to sign anyone else significant (even just a bench scorer or rotation player). I don't know, that's just what I feel.

Also is Horford really that good? I would rather get Whiteside instead of Horford. I understand Horford is on Durant's list of players he wants to play with, but not sure if Horford+Durant make us instant contenders. What do you guys think?

Wait, who said Horford was on Durant's list ? I never seen that list have u ?

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Obviously they would make us a lot better than what we have right now, and probably gets us 55-60 wins next season.

But I still feel that would not be a legitimate contender and there would still be a missing piece. And after signing both to max-contracts we won't have any more $$$ to sign anyone else significant (even just a bench scorer or rotation player). I don't know, that's just what I feel.

Also is Horford really that good? I would rather get Whiteside instead of Horford. I understand Horford is on Durant's list of players he wants to play with, but not sure if Horford+Durant make us instant contenders. What do you guys think?

Wait, who said Horford was on Durant's list ? I never seen that list have u ?

It's widely assumed that Horford is on Durant's list of players he'd team up with.  They've talked about it in the past.  Whiteside, on the other hand, is not known to be on anyone's desired teammate list.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Durant + Horford would make for a fantastic offseason. Contenders for sure. I think we might even be the favorites to come out in the East.
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Unfortunately, this is one of the areas that a Noel trade would've helped us with.

KO is simply just not a championship-caliber starting 4, and unless you're going to convince Durant to play the 4 next to Horford, which seems very unlikely to say the least, you're going to have to somehow upgrade the 4/5 spot to seriously convince Durant to sign here. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Durant, Horford, and Noel is a much easier sell than IT, Bradley, Durant, KO, and Horford. Also, I don't think simply replacing KO with Crowder is a feasible option due to size advantages we'd be giving up.

So I'd try to sell Durant on teaming him up with Horford and us attaining Noel to shore up our frontcourt. If he'd agree to sign here with those moves, then I'd offer up Smart or Brown to the Sixers for Noel, preferably Brown since he'd essentially be needless now with Durant. If Embiid is still looking good, I think Philly would have to make that trade, because that would give them their future 3, 4, 5 in Brown, Simmons, and Embiid.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 04:39:35 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Unfortunately, this is one of the areas that a Noel trade would've helped us with.

KO is simply just not a championship-caliber starting 4, and unless you're going to convince Durant to play the 4 next to Horford, which seems very unlikely to say the least, you're going to have to somehow upgrade the 4/5 spot to seriously convince Durant to sign here. A lineup of IT, Bradley, Durant, Horford, and Noel is a much easier sell than IT, Bradley, Durant, KO, and Horford. Also, I don't think simply replacing KO with Crowder is a feasible option due to size advantages we'd be giving up.

So I'd try to sell Durant on teaming him up with Horford and us attaining Noel to shore up our frontcourt. If he'd agree to sign here with those moves, then I'd offer up Smart or Brown to the Sixers for Noel, preferably Brown since he'd essentially be needless now with Durant. If Embiid is still looking good, I think Philly would have to make that trade, because that would give them their future 3, 4, 5 in Brown, Simmons, and Embiid.

The offseason isn't over
I'm bitter.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Add Durant to this team as-is with no other additions and it wins 60+ games.

Add Horford on top of that, yes... it's definitely a contender.

Then when you consider the hoard of young players, picks and quality starter-level talent this team has at it's disposal in trades... they absolutely would be in play for a championship. 

We won nearly 50 games last year without Durant.  Look at the impact LeBron had on Cleveland and Miami.  Durant will have a similar impact.  This is backed up by the fact that the Thunder were a below .500 team the past two years in games that Durant didn't play. 

People can argue tiny details here and there, but pretty much Durant + any other max-level talent is going to make this team a contender.  We've gotten to a place where we're somehow underrating the talent on this team.   We have some quality talent here already.  I actually like our talent sans-Durant more than Oklahoma's talent sans-Durant.  I get that people like Westbrook.   He's a bit overrated though and a bad fit next to KD.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

IT-Bradley-Crowder-Durant-Horford sounds an awful lot like GSW's death lineup of Steph-Klay-Barnes-Iggy-Draymond. The difference is, our frontcourt is better than our backcourt.

I don't think Durant needs to start the 4 full-time but playing the 4 in a pinch (like those Westbrook-Waiters-Roberson-Durant-Ibaka lineups) was deadly basketball.

- LilRip

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 04:49:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Heck yeah, we are contenders. All we have to do is beat one good team and we are in the Finals.

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 04:51:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

IT-Bradley-Crowder-Durant-Horford sounds an awful lot like GSW's death lineup of Steph-Klay-Barnes-Iggy-Draymond. The difference is, our frontcourt is better than our backcourt.

I don't think Durant needs to start the 4 full-time but playing the 4 in a pinch (like those Westbrook-Waiters-Roberson-Durant-Ibaka lineups) was deadly basketball.

Yes, but we saw that they can't play that death lineup full time due to being so small. Look for example at Cleveland. We can't really play that lineup against them full-time, because Love's size and rebounding will be a mismatch for us.

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 04:56:51 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Hell yes they make us contenders. Our frontcourt was a weakness last season; even if you don't think Horford deserves a max at his age, he's a massive upgrade over Sully. +4 wins just for adding him. Durant is a gigantic upgrade over Evan Turner. I'm going with +8 wins, but it could be more. Then you have player development. I would expect the Celtics to win 65 games next year and take home court advantage in the East.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Just start Crowder or Amir at the 4. No problem. Or start KO, and it's not so bad when you have so three starting-quality players (Smart, Amir + Crowder) off the bench.

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Just start Crowder or Amir at the 4. No problem. Or start KO, and it's not so bad when you have so three starting-quality players (Smart, Amir + Crowder) off the bench.

Amir's contract will have to be waived in order to fit KD and Horford, KO is not a legitimate starting option for a contender, and Crowder is too small to play the 4 full time. He'd be abused by the Kevin Loves and Lamarcus Aldridge's of the world.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
 really want us to swing a trade for Millsap while we're at it.

Thomas/Bradley/Durant/Millsap/Horford is a starting five I could roll with.

Also it would be LeBron's worst nightmare. I could picture it like Boston, Atlanta and Durant teamed up to knock him out of the playoffs. I love it.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 05:19:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Amir's contract will have to be waived in order to fit KD and Horford, KO is not a legitimate starting option for a contender, and Crowder is too small to play the 4 full time. He'd be abused by the Kevin Loves and Lamarcus Aldridge's of the world.
If we signed Horford and Durant I assume that we would bring back Sully, since him being a restricted free agent allows us to go over the cap to sign him. Sully would be a good option to defend bigger bodied post players.

I disagree with your assessment of KO, and think the shooting he would provide next to Horford, Durant, Bradley and Thomas would be extremely difficult for other teams to match up with.

If we were able to get KD and Horford I'd assume we end games with some kind of lineup like Thomas, Bradley, Durant, Crowder, and Horford. That is a pretty [dang] good closing lineup.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19