Author Topic: Did anyone else hope we would draft Tyler Ulis?  (Read 362 times)

Did anyone else hope we would draft Tyler Ulis?
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Before the draft I watched a few Tyler Ulis highlight films and thought he was a total dynamo. Whenever he dribbled defenses were totally befuddled as to what direction he would move from split second to split second. As soon as they adjusted he'd change direction and then change again and then again. He may have the best body shifting movement I've ever seen in any guard at any level. A once in a generation talent in this regard.

I realize it's likely he would have been a liability against taller guards. And, that he doesn't have the musculature of guards who have played in the NBA at that height. Plus, we already have Isaiah playing  similar role. He's not a great shooter or finisher at the rim, etc. Plus, we need taller guards, etc.

Nonetheless, I just saw him as a great weapon to have in our team's arsenal. He energizes his teammates in so many ways, e.g., creating space for himself, creating space for others, penetrates so well that opponents have to adjust to him. The coach could have inserted him at the end of a quarter just to run one play. Or, when the team was stagnant he could get the team moving. It also would have been a great marketing move. It would have been sheer entertainment watching him do his thing.

Most likely we'll be experimenting with Marcus, RJ and Terry becoming point guards for the next couple years. He was already there as a point guard and far more so.

FWIW: I was looking at him more as a situational player, not someone in the regular rotation. Somewhat like in football when it's 3rd and long the coach brings in his speediest receiver. Or, in baseball baseball when the coach calls in a reliever.

We did pick up Demetrius who is a decent point guard. I'm happy about that. I just wish Danny would have swung for the fences and gave Tyler a chance at 31. We may have had to give up on RJ or James. I could live with that.  Anyone else hope we would draft him? 

Re: Did anyone else hope we would draft Tyler Ulis?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We already have IT.

Ulis will probably hit some level of success in the Association.  However we have a logjam at guard so it's kind of hard to gamble on a player with such lack of size and such a lack of playing time available.

Not to mention the guy that we drafted, Demetrius Jackson was projected as a first round talent who somehow slipped to our pick.  So I'm cool with that pick.  I believe the Celtics hope that DJ can build his stock up so he either becomes a good trade chip or makes an existing guard expendable in a future trade.

As far as swing for the fences at 31?  Not a chance, DA wanted to stockpile for the future at that point.  I mean he passed on Deyonta Davis (#31) and shipped him off to another team in a package (+35) for a future first.  Were you paying attention last night?

We did pick up Demetrius who is a decent point guard. I'm happy about that. I just wish Danny would have swung for the fences and gave Tyler a chance at 31. We may have had to give up on RJ or James. I could live with that.  Anyone else hope we would draft him?