Author Topic: Ainge's draft strategy based on signing Durant and Horford?  (Read 3912 times)

Re: Ainge's draft strategy based on signing Durant and Horford?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 12:43:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Think team needs a top 10 big to get KD here. I'd go after Davis, Griffin or Cousins. Team needs to maintain IT and two wing defenders.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Ainge didnt move Crowder AB or Smart in a trade because these are the elite perimeter defenders KD is going to war with. We already have the formula to beat GS who is the powerhouse out West now all we need is the Alphamale to get us over Lequeen and KD is that superstar that can get this team easily to the ECF where LEQUEEN is waiting.

Yes I do believe a lineup of IT AB Crowder KD and Horford instantly can give the Cavs a battle they deserve...heck we just were barraged by injuries at the most inopportune time in the playoffs otherwise we could have been in the ECF already without KD how much more with KD and Horford.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Celtics don't have a better chance than OKC, SA or GS.  Those teams offer better overall talent around him and proven ability to win on the playoffs.

Durant remains a pipe dream for Celtics fans.

If there were 0 chance, Durant would not have shortlisted the Celtics for a visit.  I'm not saying we are the best team yet, but we are the ONLY team that has the cap space for two max contracts.  So if Durant wants Horford to be that 3rd star next to him and IT, the Celtics are the ONLY  team that could provide that platform for his championship aspirations. 

Not to mention it's Boston, 17 banners, etc.  I fully expect DA and Brad to move heaven and earth in order to try to sign Durant!  Don't let him leave Boston without putting pen to paper!!

Ainge used this ploy before with Allen-KG-PP.  This time it's AH-KD-IT. Horford: "we can get Durant if you sign here." Durant: "Horford will sign here if you sign."

Riley used this ploy to get Bosch and James to play with Wade.

Hollywood uses it to get stars to appear in movies together.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:24 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Celtics don't have a better chance than OKC, SA or GS.  Those teams offer better overall talent around him and proven ability to win on the playoffs.

To a certain extent I agree, but it's not just about talent. In my opinion, he is eying the unselfish systems like SA, Boston, and GS because he wants to be in an unselfish system with unselfish players.

Does Durant really want to play for GS with Curry? Does he want to be Curry's wingman? Does he want to play in the west?

Can Leonard, Aldridge, and Durant coexist? Pop is a great coach, but those guys all use the same areas of the court. Does Durant want to play in the west?

OKC looks legit, but does he want to start fresh? Does he really think he can win with Westbrook? Does he want to play in the west? Does he want to get in a better passing system?

It's not just about 2K ratings. Durant is a basketball mind. He knows that the Celtics can contend with him for the next 6-8 years. He knows going East would help his road to the finals. He knows what kind of players he wants to play with and what system he wants to play in.

He also knows that Ainge will get him the players he needs. Horford and Durant would make us contenders, and we would still be left with all our picks and young players.

Very good thinking. I bet this is the type of speech Brad and Danny will have in mind when KD will meet.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dont want horford

He will be overpaid

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Durant should just come to the east, beat LeBron James 4x in the reg season, and another 4 times in the playoffs and then he'll sniff the finals. That's when Celtics culture rises, we are championship city!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 01:38:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

To a certain extent I agree, but it's not just about talent. In my opinion, he is eying the unselfish systems like SA, Boston, and GS because he wants to be in an unselfish system with unselfish players.

Does Durant really want to play for GS with Curry? Does he want to be Curry's wingman? Does he want to play in the west?

Can Leonard, Aldridge, and Durant coexist? Pop is a great coach, but those guys all use the same areas of the court. Does Durant want to play in the west?

OKC looks legit, but does he want to start fresh? Does he really think he can win with Westbrook? Does he want to play in the west? Does he want to get in a better passing system?

It's not just about 2K ratings. Durant is a basketball mind. He knows that the Celtics can contend with him for the next 6-8 years. He knows going East would help his road to the finals. He knows what kind of players he wants to play with and what system he wants to play in.

He also knows that Ainge will get him the players he needs. Horford and Durant would make us contenders, and we would still be left with all our picks and young players.

Our only problem is, the Washington Wizards (an eastern conference team) are willing to offer Joakim Noah a max contract to lure Kevin Durant to DC. I hope he does not fall for that ploy, and given that he played for that same head coach and could not make it several times, why not play for Brad Stevens who is an admirable coach?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 02:07:52 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

If there were 0 chance, Durant would not have shortlisted the Celtics for a visit.  I'm not saying we are the best team yet, but we are the ONLY team that has the cap space for two max contracts.  So if Durant wants Horford to be that 3rd star next to him and IT, the Celtics are the ONLY  team that could provide that platform for his championship aspirations. 

Not to mention it's Boston, 17 banners, etc.  I fully expect DA and Brad to move heaven and earth in order to try to sign Durant!  Don't let him leave Boston without putting pen to paper!!

Ainge used this ploy before with Allen-KG-PP.  This time it's AH-KD-IT. Horford: "we can get Durant if you sign here." Durant: "Horford will sign here if you sign."

Riley used this ploy to get Bosch and James to play with Wade.

Hollywood uses it to get stars to appear in movies together.

Good point. Remember when KG said he had zero interest in joining the Celtics? That was less than what Durant is saying right now.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

It comes down to whether Durant is the type of player who wants to build a contender or just hitch hike with a contender.

Yeah, does he want to be Jordan or Pippen? I am betting on the former.

Does he want the Western Road or the Eastern Road? I am betting on the latter.

I think it is going to come down to us and Miami. Unfortunately, and this is taking off my green-tinted sunglasses, Riley is a helluva salesman, South Beach beats the crap out of Boston, and Florida does not have a state income tax.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29

Our only problem is, the Washington Wizards (an eastern conference team) are willing to offer Joakim Noah a max contract to lure Kevin Durant to DC. I hope he does not fall for that ploy, and given that he played for that same head coach and could not make it several times, why not play for Brad Stevens who is an admirable coach?
Washington isn't even on the short list. I'm not worried about it.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 06:47:56 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29

It comes down to whether Durant is the type of player who wants to build a contender or just hitch hike with a contender.

I think it is going to come down to us and Miami. Unfortunately, and this is taking off my green-tinted sunglasses, Riley is a helluva salesman, South Beach beats the crap out of Boston, and Florida does not have a state income tax.
You think Durant wants to follow in LeBron's footsteps? I have serious doubts about that.

We have a team here that is tailor made for him. He's plug and play at this point. I like our chances if he decides to leave OKC.

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 07:17:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think our draft strategy was predicated on not getting him instead of what the OP proposed.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 07:20:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Definitely. Ainge aims high.  The plan is to sign Durant and a big using our max cap space. Our draft strategy reflects that.

If we fail to sign Durant, I expect there's some kind of plan B, but our draft strategy fits for just standing pat as well.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 07:26:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

You think Durant wants to follow in LeBron's footsteps? I have serious doubts about that.

We have a team here that is tailor made for him. He's plug and play at this point. I like our chances if he decides to leave OKC.

And he doesn't particularly strike me as a South Beach kinda guy. I'm not saying our chances of getting him are great, but it's not gonna come down to nightclubs.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 07:27:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have serious doubts Horford comes here.