Author Topic: Ainge's draft strategy based on signing Durant and Horford?  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm reading this morning on the tweets Durant is having a meeting with the Celtics--one of the 4 or 5 teams he is interested in. It's possible they can get him on a 1 +1 deal.

He apparently has told Ainge Horford would be a guy he would like to play with. Horford is another player the Celtics are interested in. With Teague traded, the chances of Horford re-signing in Atlanta are lessened, in my view.

Some think Ainge's draft strategy (no trades for Noel, etc) was based on signing Durant and Horford--they still have enough cap space for two max players--which most teams don't have.

This news colors my view of Danny's draft strategy.

What do you think?

Re: Ainge's draft strategy based on signing Durant and Horford?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:07:55 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This is what I have been hoping for for months.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Horford+Durant signing would make us instant contenders!

IT
AB
Durant
Crowder
Horford

Defense+Scoring!  That would be a very tough team.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Celtics don't have a better chance than OKC, SA or GS.  Those teams offer better overall talent around him and proven ability to win on the playoffs.

Durant remains a pipe dream for Celtics fans.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Celtics don't have a better chance than OKC, SA or GS.  Those teams offer better overall talent around him and proven ability to win on the playoffs.

It comes down to whether Durant is the type of player who wants to build a contender or just hitch hike with a contender.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

If there were 0 chance, Durant would not have shortlisted the Celtics for a visit.  I'm not saying we are the best team yet, but we are the ONLY team that has the cap space for two max contracts.  So if Durant wants Horford to be that 3rd star next to him and IT, the Celtics are the ONLY  team that could provide that platform for his championship aspirations. 

Not to mention it's Boston, 17 banners, etc.  I fully expect DA and Brad to move heaven and earth in order to try to sign Durant!  Don't let him leave Boston without putting pen to paper!!

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Horford+Durant signing would make us instant contenders!

IT
AB
Durant
Crowder
Horford

Defense+Scoring!  That would be a very tough team.

I believe it was said that Horford does not want to play the 5.  I think he would be best at the 4.  Maybe put Mickey next to him (assuming he looks good enough to justify the start) and move Crowder to the bench, or Amir if he is still with us (though signing both KD and Al might eliminate that option).  Mickey looks like he will be able to provide rim protection at the NBA level, while also being able to stretch the floor.  Crowder would be your 6th man and could take the place of ET if he doesn't resign. 

IT
Bradley
Durant
Horford
Mickey or Amir?

A bench of Crowder, Smart, KO, Brown and anyone else who cracks the rotation.  That is a solid team and definitely an improvement over last year.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

If there were 0 chance, Durant would not have shortlisted the Celtics for a visit.  I'm not saying we are the best team yet, but we are the ONLY team that has the cap space for two max contracts.  So if Durant wants Horford to be that 3rd star next to him and IT, the Celtics are the ONLY  team that could provide that platform for his championship aspirations. 

Not to mention it's Boston, 17 banners, etc.  I fully expect DA and Brad to move heaven and earth in order to try to sign Durant!  Don't let him leave Boston without putting pen to paper!!
Right, not 0 chance I agree, I only said a worse chance so I'll put it at 5%.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm reading this morning on the tweets Durant is having a meeting with the Celtics--one of the 4 or 5 teams he is interested in. It's possible they can get him on a 1 +1 deal.

He apparently has told Ainge Horford would be a guy he would like to play with. Horford is another player the Celtics are interested in. With Teague traded, the chances of Horford re-signing in Atlanta are lessened, in my view.

Some think Ainge's draft strategy (no trades for Noel, etc) was based on signing Durant and Horford--they still have enough cap space for two max players--which most teams don't have.

What do you think?
Glen Ordway thought Ainge's strategy was exactly what you laid out.  The key was maintaining flexibility and saving as much cap space as possible.  There are no guarantees with free agency of course but it sounds like maintaining cap space is going to be the mindset for the near future.  So if they strike out on bringing in a star, don't expect them to go overpay for Harrison Barnes or someone like that.  They could overpay someone who's decent with an Amir like contract or take on a salary for someone who might help them a bit for one season.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
For all we know there are guys already on the team that Durant also wants to play with (Avery, Jae??). So maybe Danny has certain guys who are off limits in trades because Durant would want them to be on the team if he decided to join. Once free agency is over, future trades will start to become clearer, and Durant or no Durant, the Celtics will have plenty available to trade later in the offseason into next season.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I don't know. I still think Durant would rather be the man on a team like the Celtics that are built to contend then join a team with superstars already in place.

But hey. I don't know the guy.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

What do you think?

I think this is exactly what's going on.  Danny's saving his money for this big splash.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm. Sure KD will point out the players he will want if he plays for Boston .

That's probably why DA is keeping the cap Down , to accommodate player wish list should he sign.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

To a certain extent I agree, but it's not just about talent. In my opinion, he is eying the unselfish systems like SA, Boston, and GS because he wants to be in an unselfish system with unselfish players.

Does Durant really want to play for GS with Curry? Does he want to be Curry's wingman? Does he want to play in the west?

Can Leonard, Aldridge, and Durant coexist? Pop is a great coach, but those guys all use the same areas of the court. Does Durant want to play in the west?

OKC looks legit, but does he want to start fresh? Does he really think he can win with Westbrook? Does he want to play in the west? Does he want to get in a better passing system?

It's not just about 2K ratings. Durant is a basketball mind. He knows that the Celtics can contend with him for the next 6-8 years. He knows going East would help his road to the finals. He knows what kind of players he wants to play with and what system he wants to play in.

He also knows that Ainge will get him the players he needs. Horford and Durant would make us contenders, and we would still be left with all our picks and young players.