Author Topic: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?  (Read 7996 times)

Re: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I'm infinitely more worried about dumb people and what problems that gets them into off the court than a smart person.  I don't see Brown out at the skin clubs at 3:00am.

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2016, 09:35:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
This is not about being smart, it's about how well you can relate to the other guys. But when you say "I'm going to do my thing, be respectful, and not step on any toes", there are legitimate concerns about how well you're going to fit the locker room. Remember this?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24765777/reports-some-teammates-say-russell-wilson-isnt-black-enough
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 09:55:28 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
BTW, if you haven't seen the video of Brown and Isiah Thomas...here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

Thanks for this. TP for your effort.

I'm surprised to say this, but after watching that video, I want the Celtics to hire Isiah Thomas as an assistant coach. He even got me motivated! For a guy his age, from Bird's era, he's still in great shape too.

TP:  I thought the same thing. What's interesting is as a player and manager I couldn't stand him. I thought he was cocky and that smirk of his made me want to smack him. But, as a coach he's very personable. It seems like he'd be great motivator as well as a lot of fun.

He may have been trying to teach Jaylen not to take himself so seriously, to loosen up and look at basketball more as a dance than an academic pursuit.That seriousness might prove to be Jaylen's toughest obstacle...thinking that he has to prove himself intellectually. When in reality people will like him even if he's goofy at times. Maybe instead of graduate courses he should take improv classes to loosen up his frame of mind. 

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Good points Alley..... Jaylen will learn that as a basketball player he is first and foremost and entertainer. Once he learns that he can then decide if that is the gig for him. If it is not, he plays to make enough generational money, and then he goes off to pursue his real interests.

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Jaylen values education and learning and has an open mind. This much is clear and this is good.

Having said this, do take the chess stories with a pinch of salt.

I have played chess in a club for some years (not with great success to be sure). He is not listed in any chess players database I've searched, and also I saw no where a mention of his ELO. This means that he might have never played an official game (and unlike bball, official games in chess are for players of all levels), which probably means a good 10 year should be able to beat him without much fuss.

No big surprises here, as to play chess decently even at an amateur level you need to dedicate ca. 10 hours a week. ( a single game can last 3 or more hours and you have to study 5-6 hrs a week.)

Again, I love the fact that Jaylen likes chess, but let's not pretend this will have some profound impact on the way he plays bbal.

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2016, 11:40:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Umm, it's not?

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2016, 11:49:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Quote from: Jaylen Brown
It'd be good to win 10 championships... but my calling is really truly to help people
ultimately its not a negative but this type of quote is where the concerns come from.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2016, 11:52:40 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
BTW, if you haven't seen the video of Brown and Isiah Thomas...here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

Thanks for this. TP for your effort.

I'm surprised to say this, but after watching that video, I want the Celtics to hire Isiah Thomas as an assistant coach. He even got me motivated! For a guy his age, from Bird's era, he's still in great shape too.

"That's that bad boy defense!"

Lol, I really liked that video too. Isiah would be pretty cool to have on the staff.

Jaylen looked so uncomfortable at first. But after a bit he seemed to open up and be more at ease a little.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2016, 11:54:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
It'd be good to win 10 championships... but my calling is really truly to help people
ultimately its not a negative but this type of quote is where the concerns come from.

Oh yeah I remember that quote too. How's he gonna help people in basketball? He's not a PG, so he can't dish out assists and help out like it's State Farm or something. Does he want to be a trainer? I hope not.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2016, 11:57:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Oh yeah I remember that quote too. How's he gonna help people in basketball? He's not a PG, so he can't dish out assists and help out like it's State Farm or something. Does he want to be a trainer? I hope not.
Id imagine he is using basketball to make money and elevate his status so that he has a platform to really help people.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2016, 12:01:36 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Id imagine he is using basketball to make money and elevate his status so that he has a platform to really help people.

Honestly he can do whatever he wants to do with his money (anything reasonable) AFTER his career. While he's playing, all I ask is that his whole focus is on basketball.

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2016, 12:11:42 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He can follow the Michael Strahan model. Excel at your chosen sport and then go out and dominate in your next profession like Michael.

Another guy is Steve Largent.. nice career in the NFL and then became a congress man.

Jack Kemp went on to become a distinguished statesman after his football career, and the list goes on and on.

There is a time for everything. A jock does not always have to be a jock or limit himself to jock enterprises.

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2016, 12:26:16 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Please! Shaq was a H** and partied hard, not many brought it up even though everyone knew. You CAN have a life outside of basketball and still be a good player. MJ had his vices too, it didn't stop him! I'd rather see a player taking classes and being a good/great player than someone out there s******* a thousand women and getting HIV. All players have a life outside of Bball and that includes the greats!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2016, 12:28:44 AM »

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
This means that he might have never played an official game.
Phew! The coast is clear then ;)

Actually this is why I never bothered getting deep into chess, because to be good it's a serious full-time commitment.

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:59 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
He's smart. Great. I hope he's clever too. I just want to hear some funny reason why he's gonna have wear some crazy number on his jersey. I feel like he'd be one of those dudes who'd be cool about it and say something funny or clever to boot.

Speaking of which, notice how he and the rest of the rookies didn't have a number right away at the press conference where as every other team did. What a process this will be lol.