Author Topic: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?  (Read 7952 times)

Re: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:03 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Thank you all for your opinions and keeping this civil. I still feel there is a racial overtone that I don't believe would be applied the same if he was white, but I do see the the point that perhaps he won't be as focused on basketball due to other interests. I just don't remember that being questioned when a white player talked about expanding his education. Always thought that was a great thing.

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2016, 01:01:03 AM »

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
I personally don't think there is such a thing as too smart. Smart people make better, more efficient decisions. There is just no version of the world where smarter is worse than dumber.

When you combine exceptional athleticism with the ability to make more efficient decisions you then have a dream player.

Now, if he's not doing his job as a professional player, and he's not taking proper responsibility for his work that's a separate issue. At this point I could only consider concern over that to be idle speculation.

For example, Shane Battier was a smart SOB, and all that did was help him become an even better player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcbuV0_WEM

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2016, 01:11:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
So I'm watching CSNNE and they reported that there are people who question Brown's commitment to basketball, because he has too many other interests. Things like chess, reading, education. I even read some people say his interviews are too good. I've read he goes to the gym at 5:30 each day to work out, and he has a great work ethic, so why the question?
Really! What is it about a young articulate black man that makes some people react this way? Sorry, but I truly don't believe him being " too smart" would be a problem if he was white. Would people like him better could not put two sentences together? I'm sure many will get defensive, but think about it for a little bit first.
I'm sure there a plenty of player who have other interests, and do many other things in the off season. Why is it that an issue for this young man for some reason?
Anyway, that's just the way I'm seeing it, from what I'm watching and reading. Thought I'd just post my thoughts on it. Wish I could articulate them as well as he does.
All the stuff you mentioned is why if he's successful, he could be an exceptionally popular athlete.  Back in the day, players played 4 years of College ball.  There were superstars with College degrees.  People are using examples like Michael Olowakandi as some example why Brown will fail, but it's really nonsense.  David Robinson was an eclectic person, for instance.  Folks like Bill Russell spent there free time on greater things than basketball.   

Brown is coming out after his Freshman year.  Lots of players have finished up their College degrees in the Summer.  If Brown wants to do the same, who cares?

And all the things that worry people about Brown's commitment to basketball (oh no, he plays chess and wants to learn different languages!) are less threatening when it's a player spending significant amounts of free time filming a movie or creating a rap album..

I'm not worried in the slightest.  One of the key reasons we drafted Brown is because of his work ethic.   He'll be fine.

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2016, 01:17:58 AM »

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
Put it another way.

To be good at chess you need to literally see all angles, see the outcomes of hundreds of possible courses of action, and then take the best strategies to take advantage of your opponents.

Translated to basketball: While other guys are playing checkers, Jaylen's going to be playing chess with them on the court.

As far as the prejudice goes. I wouldn't doubt it for a second. They definitely wouldn't be calling out a white guy who was as smart as Jaylen, they just wouldn't.

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2016, 01:57:06 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I would say that if you're to smart or introspective you'll realize too soon that you playing a dumb game.  Plain and simple.   It's a huge waste of life.

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2016, 02:00:31 AM »

Offline AlCelticfan

• Jordan Walsh
I would say that if you're to smart or introspective you'll realize too soon that you playing a dumb game.  Plain and simple.   It's a huge waste of life.
Ha, kinda true. But he's not going to play it his whole life. With a career in the NBA he can save enough to retire as an academic for the rest of his life!

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2016, 02:21:27 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

He already realizes this, which is why he wants to make as much money as he can in order to help people.  ;)

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2016, 02:30:01 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
The fact that we even need to have this conversation is sad on a number of levels.

Let the kid be himself.

Btw Bill Walton - a man of many interests and a high IQ - absolutely LOVES Brown.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2016/02/27/cal-basketball-freshman-jaylen-brown-hoops-icon-bill-walton-form-special-bond/

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
For example, Shane Battier was a smart SOB, and all that did was help him become an even better player:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxcbuV0_WEM
Great example. Shane Battier is a really intelligent guy and a terrific player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2016, 07:13:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it's about him being intelligent, it's the notion that his intellectual curiosity may mean that basketball is just one of his many interests. Maybe it means he's not driven to put everything he has into maximizing himself as a basketball player.

I think in general you want to have really super intelligent, high character role players. Among your stars, intense focus and a love for the game, along with charismatic leadership, are probably more important than having a guy who can ace the SAT or whatever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
BTW, if you haven't seen the video of Brown and Isiah Thomas...here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

Thanks for this. TP for your effort.

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Put it another way.

To be good at chess you need to literally see all angles, see the outcomes of hundreds of possible courses of action, and then take the best strategies to take advantage of your opponents.

Translated to basketball: While other guys are playing checkers, Jaylen's going to be playing chess with them on the court.

Yes, good points. Chess is a spatial game, you have pieces, like players, who have different strengths (like knight and pawn) and different options for all of them; it's a basketball court with 32 players on the court.

And typically for Jaylen, he has attained a high level of excellence in chess.

This guy is something really special.

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
So I'm watching CSNNE and they reported that there are people who question Brown's commitment to basketball, because he has too many other interests. Things like chess, reading, education. I even read some people say his interviews are too good. I've read he goes to the gym at 5:30 each day to work out, and he has a great work ethic, so why the question?
Really! What is it about a young articulate black man that makes some people react this way? Sorry, but I truly don't believe him being " too smart" would be a problem if he was white. Would people like him better could not put two sentences together? I'm sure many will get defensive, but think about it for a little bit first.
I'm sure there a plenty of player who have other interests, and do many other things in the off season. Why is it that an issue for this young man for some reason?
Anyway, that's just the way I'm seeing it, from what I'm watching and reading. Thought I'd just post my thoughts on it. Wish I could articulate them as well as he does.

I'm not worried in the slightest.  One of the key reasons we drafted Brown is because of his work ethic.   He'll be fine.

Jaylen Brown is a worker. He also has a talent for getting himself outstanding mentoring - the guy is skillful at being coached. He will thrive in Boston; he will bring leadership where there is already great leadership. He will max his potential. Only injury can stop him.

Get season tickets behind the home bench. Some special stuff is going to happen.

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2016, 07:52:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
BTW, if you haven't seen the video of Brown and Isiah Thomas...here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

Thanks for this. TP for your effort.

I'm surprised to say this, but after watching that video, I want the Celtics to hire Isiah Thomas as an assistant coach. He even got me motivated! For a guy his age, from Bird's era, he's still in great shape too.

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
The fact that we even need to have this conversation is sad on a number of levels.

Let the kid be himself.

Btw Bill Walton - a man of many interests and a high IQ - absolutely LOVES Brown.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2016/02/27/cal-basketball-freshman-jaylen-brown-hoops-icon-bill-walton-form-special-bond/

Oh my god. I love Bill Walton. I love how much Bill Walton loves being a Celtic and loves the game of basketball. The other night his thoughts on the '86 team got me choked up. Jaylen Brown is now my favorite player. I'm going to buy his jersey and reserve a spot on the Brown bandwagon, second row because I was too busy mourning over Noel to get on board draft night. But here I am. Choo choo!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.