Author Topic: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?  (Read 8011 times)

Re: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 10:55:01 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is not a negative for him or the team overall, but don't act as if it may not cause some friction with his team mates if it appears that he is putting the less fortunate down. There is a way that you can do your thing without appearing to be cocky.

I will give you an example. The Boston area is rich with great Colleges. A humble guy may not have gone for the Harvard MIT names and just mentioned the richness of the Boston area's educational institution.

I value education greatly, so I do not see a negative in Brown's educational interest. I also feel that in a team environment that is filled with kids from lesser circumstances, humility may be important so you do not have a Kobe Bryant situation. Kobe had to reach the pinnacle of the sport to overcome is 'aloofness'.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I have no concerns about him not making basketball his top priority.  He seems highly motivated and dedicated to succeeding on the court.

If there's one thing I'm concerned about regarding his character, it's that he could rub his teammates the wrong way.  He seems to have a confidence and self-assuredness that could come across as arrogant.

The NBA, and sports in general, is very much about paying your dues and recognizing your place as a younger guy.

I trust Jaylen to figure it out and earn the respect of the vets, but that would be more of a concern than the risk of him prioritizing other interests above basketball.  I'm not worried in the least about the possibility of the latter.

What vets? We don't have a 30 year old on the roster. Most of our guys are <25.

I get what you are saying though about his attitude; however, I tend to think that his style of play will have him fitting right in with our team. Hes hard-nosed, physical, gritty, and all-out effort all the time, and that will win his teammates over, even if he is a bit quiet.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 11:09:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
It is not a negative for him or the team overall, but don't act as if it may not cause some friction with his team mates if it appears that he is putting the less fortunate down. There is a way that you can do your thing without appearing to be cocky.

I will give you an example. The Boston area is rich with great Colleges. A humble guy may not have gone for the Harvard MIT names and just mentioned the richness of the Boston area's educational institution.

I value education greatly, so I do not see a negative in Brown's educational interest. I also feel that in a team environment that is filled with kids from lesser circumstances, humility may be important so you do not have a Kobe Bryant situation. Kobe had to reach the pinnacle of the sport to overcome is 'aloofness'.
To be honest, this is one tempest in a teapot. First, he is 19 and from the west coast so I can understand that he mentions MIT before mentioning Emerson. ::)

Next, he is from cal. That is a very good school and it's not arrogant of him to focus on even better schools for his education.

This "fear" of him being disruptively arrogant based upon this statement is really weak.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I have no concerns about him not making basketball his top priority.  He seems highly motivated and dedicated to succeeding on the court.

If there's one thing I'm concerned about regarding his character, it's that he could rub his teammates the wrong way.  He seems to have a confidence and self-assuredness that could come across as arrogant.

The NBA, and sports in general, is very much about paying your dues and recognizing your place as a younger guy.

I trust Jaylen to figure it out and earn the respect of the vets, but that would be more of a concern than the risk of him prioritizing other interests above basketball.  I'm not worried in the least about the possibility of the latter.

What vets? We don't have a 30 year old on the roster. Most of our guys are <25.

I get what you are saying though about his attitude; however, I tend to think that his style of play will have him fitting right in with our team. Hes hard-nosed, physical, gritty, and all-out effort all the time, and that will win his teammates over, even if he is a bit quiet.

Agree about the gritty, hard-nosed part and winning over his teammates. 

Disagree about the quiet part. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
It's not.

And personally I do see it as racist.  Some won't be happy with that but to me it's one of those double standards that's pretty clear.

I'm sorry to say that I agree with Mr. Snakehead.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It's a negative because a lot of Celtic fans are not intelligent.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

To be honest, this is one tempest in a teapot. First, he is 19 and from the west coast so I can understand that he mentions MIT before mentioning Emerson. ::)

Next, he is from cal. That is a very good school and it's not arrogant of him to focus on even better schools for his education.

This "fear" of him being disruptively arrogant based upon this statement is really weak.

There a multitude of smart guys in the NBA. I actually think it is insulting to the dominant demographic of the NBA (black kids) to single one guy out and tout his intelligence and how well he speaks. I took time out to listen to his interviews after all these posts and frankly it is lowering the bar to tout him worthy of being singled out for his intelligence. There is a subtle hint here that black kids are not supposed to or do not sound like this. I am a fan of this kid already, I hope he does well, but he should not play into the narrative the press is trying to build for him. Admittedly some of this is self-induced but I hope he understands that the press builds celebrities up only to tear them down.

This kid is about to be paid millions to play basketball. It is a profession he has chosen for himself. It is very lucrative and he should focus on that job. I believe he may be taking on too much at this time. He wants to ball, he wants to school, oh and through all of this he is going to be his own agent. There is a saying he who represents himself has a .....well you know the rest.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:41:39 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think it's ultimately a prejudice and irresponsible way of thinking.

When grant hill was coming out of duke and had he said this would ppl feel the same?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 02:17:23 AM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

There a multitude of smart guys in the NBA. I actually think it is insulting to the dominant demographic of the NBA (black kids) to single one guy out and tout his intelligence and how well he speaks. I took time out to listen to his interviews after all these posts and frankly it is lowering the bar to tout him as being worthy of being singled out for his intelligence. There is a subtle hint here that black kids are not supposed to or do not sound like this. I am a fan of this kid already, I hope he does well, but he should not play into the narrative the press is trying to build for him. Admittedly some of this is self-induced but I hope he understands that the press builds celebrities up only to tear them down.

This kid is about to be paid millions to play basketball. It is a profession he has chosen for himself. It is very lucrative and he should focus on that job. I believe he may be taken on too much at this time. He wants to ball, he wants to school, oh and through all lf this he is going to be his own agent. There is a saying he who represents himself has a .....well you know the rest.
Good points and I agree with lots of what you posted.  A tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
One more thing.  Jaylen Brown will not be attending graduate school at MIT or Harvard next year.  He mentioned the schools as a way of saying that he was a smart guy who was interested in the intellectual community of Boston, not to say he was coming here to go to grad school and play a little basketball on the side.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 11:44:41 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
No negatives. This guy is ripping my head off, I'm so excited. High aspirations are what you look for. Desire on the court and off.
He wants to be a top 5 player, be an accomplished scholar and ball for our city of Boston. Probably the best case scenario we could ask for. 

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
It's not.

And personally I do see it as racist.  Some won't be happy with that but to me it's one of those double standards that's pretty clear.

I'm sorry to say that I agree with Mr. Snakehead.

Me too, and that's what I was trying to say in the OP. I could be wrong, but I just don't believe it's an issue if he's white. Seems there is a different level of expectations. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
It speaks volumes about this Organization  that they made Jaylen the 3rd pick in the Draft.. So many in the media were claiming that his Desire for basketball should be questioned because he had interested that didn't start and stop at a strip cub.. Another references his Super inquisitive nature, they claimed that this was not him being Smart but in fact it was him Questioning Authority.  This stuff use to just eats at my nerves when I read it.. 

Boston was the 1st team to start all black player, was also the first team to have a black head coach..  Boston has never been afraid of Race or any of the silly issues that comes with it..

I love this team and I Am glad that after all these years they are still making great Basketball decisions.

Jaylen Brown Can help this team.. That's all that matters and thats all that should ever matter..

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Some people are afraid of Brown being intellectual because he might tweet #blacklivesmatter and be able to explain what that means.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 01:12:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I agree that there's a bit of subtle racism going on. Heard some front office quote--I think it was from Minny?-- about how he asked too many questions, wanted to understand things too much rather than just do them. Quote had a clear negative tone. I don't think there's anything too shocking here, but yeah, racism still exists around the league. Luckily our own front office doesn't suffer from it.