Author Topic: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?  (Read 7967 times)

Re: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Jaylen values education and learning and has an open mind. This much is clear and this is good.

Having said this, do take the chess stories with a pinch of salt.

I have played chess in a club for some years (not with great success to be sure). He is not listed in any chess players database I've searched, and also I saw no where a mention of his ELO. This means that he might have never played an official game (and unlike bball, official games in chess are for players of all levels), which probably means a good 10 year should be able to beat him without much fuss.

No big surprises here, as to play chess decently even at an amateur level you need to dedicate ca. 10 hours a week. ( a single game can last 3 or more hours and you have to study 5-6 hrs a week.)

Again, I love the fact that Jaylen likes chess, but let's not pretend this will have some profound impact on the way he plays bbal.

That's quite an assertion.  I was captain of my high school chess team, but I never had a FIDE rating since I never played any organized tournaments.  I did manage to secure a draw (one of two) in a 21-board simultaneous exhibition when I was 15 against a U.S. National Master rated around 2250.  If Jaylen was captain of his high school chess team, I think it's extremely unlikely that a 10-year old could defeat him, unless that kid's name was Magnus Carlsen! 

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Oh snap, it's starting to feel like a movie now. Not sure which one exactly, though. Finding Forrester? Dope?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2016, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Good Bulpett article in this morning's Herald addresses this very topic:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/06/bulpett_jaylen_brown_s_inner_circle_embraces_smart_label

« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:25 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
One of the things that's changed in the draft over the years is nowadays, almost every talented kid plays a year at KY or NC or Duke, etc, and then goes into the draft lottery pool. Very few go four years of college. The result is a bunch of teenagers entering the NBA--most of whom lack the strength and maturity to play against NBA vets. As a result, the draft is a bigger crapshoot than ever. You just don't know what these skinny kids are going to look and play like in 2-3 years. And they certainly aren't going have much impact their first couple years in the League. If they do, it's the League coming down to their level. Something that's hard to notice.

It's a good argument to increase the age limit for the NBA, and force these kids to stay in school a couple more years, or even graduate.

[Looking at this post again, I'm trying to figure out why I put it here. It isn't a criticism of Brown, or a defense. Maybe it's Brown being so young he hasn't figured out what he wants to do yet in his life. I hope that doesn't mean he isn't totally committed to basketball.]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:19:18 AM by Bobshot »

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He doesn't play smart.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri