Author Topic: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?  (Read 7971 times)

Re: Why is Brown being intelligent a negative?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 01:35:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think the fear from some people is that he'll be "thinking" the game more than he'll be "feeling" the game. I think with most sports you want guys who can play smart but without overthinking things. I understand people worrying about Brown being a guy who overthinks the game.

I don't worry about it, though. His style of play and his work ethic make me believe he'll be fine. I also think Brad is the perfect coach for someone like Brown, who is a student of life and a student of the game.

I also can't disagree with those who think there is a racist coloring to all of this. Jaylen Brown is not a popular representation of what a young Black man is supposed to be and that's going to be a problem for some peope and those people aren't likely to understand where that discomfort is even coming from.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Jaylen Brown- "Rome wasn't built in a day." Kid rules! I love him, not worried at all that he's a bright kid. I doubt he will take his first max contract and walk the earth like Ricky Williams, or become "an artist" like Larry Sanders.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I d rather him be positive and proud of his work than a Whiteside

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »

Offline tomrod

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 26
He is basically Jeff Green but smart, we'll se where that takes him, Im on the fence

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 02:45:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think the Rondo experience left a bitter taste in many people's mouths. So that plays a part in it.

I also think that his intelligence is seen as a negative because of the way he speaks of Boston. The fact that he brings up Harvard and MIT seem to portray this kid as someone who is more excited about education than basketball. Couple that with the fact that he is a very, very well spoken individual, who clearly seems to think his thoughts out before he says then, and suddenly you have this perception that he's too smart for the NBA.

It's also important to understand where his true intentions lie. He's a well spoken young man, but I recall hearing the word education, or a reference to it, many times in the past few days. I heard him talk about culture, about life, about educational  opportunities in Boston. He still spoke about basketball a ton, but I (personally) didn't get the same vibe of interest in basketball from him that I got when he was talking about Bostons other facets.

About being able to strike a connection with teammates. Now, the following is by no means a way for me to toot my own horn, show off anything, etc: but I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent individual. I won't go into any more specifics than that, but, anyways: I'm sitting on my couch right now; if Jaylen brown were sitting across from me, I feel (and I might be wrong about this), but I feel that I could be able to make a connection with Jaylen rather easily. And I think Jaylen would likewise be able to make a connection with me. But if an Evan Turner, or a Kelly Olynyk, was sitting across from me, I'm not sure that I could be able to make a connection with them. I'm sure Evan would try to make a connection with me, but given his personality, I just don't see it happening. Don't get me wrong, I love Evan as a person and he seems to be (by all accounts) a very funny dude, great guy, but I'm not sure I (or Jaylen brown) could be able to connect with him.

Finally (and this is the toughest to explain), he just strikes me as being different. I don't know what it is about him, whether it's the way he talks, the always apparent formal attire, the hair (lol), I don't know what it is about him, but it just strikes me differently. And I don't wanna say "it strikes me off", because that's not true, although it may seem that way from what I say (and I know I said earlier I feel I could connect with him rather easily), but it's just something about him that gives me a little bit of hesitation that basketball might not be his primary focus. Which is still ok, just as long as he realizes that his future in the NBA can be much better than his future as a professor, or a PhD (no disrespect to those with this degree, by the way; awesome job!)

I don't know, maybe it's just the Rondo experience still in my head. Maybe I'm just overreacting.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
As long as he's focused on basketball it's a good thing. I think on some level people might be nervous that he's smart like Rondo where he's too smart for his own good and doesn't listen.

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
maybe people think that being too smart, will make him walk away from Basketball at some point....Dave Cowens was too dumb--and walked away from the Celtics, to drive a cab.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
BTW, if you haven't seen the video of Brown and Isiah Thomas...here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
To the point on him being Different.. I can see that..  And one thing I do wonder about is if the #3 pick will be able to form a bond with Mr. Super Chip on the shoulder  IT.. I am interested to see how smooth that goes..

We have quite a few Different player types on this team.. KO, Bradly, Smart, IT and Crowder all Seem different to me..

IF Brown makes a connection with Smart and Crowder I think he will be fine for the Team chemistry..

I think it will be abrasive with him and Thomas at the Start..

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

His stroke looks great. Did Smart ever shoot that well in drills?

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
To the point on him being Different.. I can see that..  And one thing I do wonder about is if the #3 pick will be able to form a bond with Mr. Super Chip on the shoulder  IT.. I am interested to see how smooth that goes..

We have quite a few Different player types on this team.. KO, Bradly, Smart, IT and Crowder all Seem different to me..

IF Brown makes a connection with Smart and Crowder I think he will be fine for the Team chemistry..

I think it will be abrasive with him and Thomas at the Start..

Maybe. I do remember that Jaylen was talking about being a top 5 player in the league at some point. So he might still have some kind of chip on his shoulder.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

My favorite line: "I wanted to prove to them that I'm just as smart as you, and twice as good at the sport that you love to watch"

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
It is not a negative for him or the team overall, but don't act as if it may not cause some friction with his team mates if it appears that he is putting the less fortunate down. There is a way that you can do your thing without appearing to be cocky.

I will give you an example. The Boston area is rich with great Colleges. A humble guy may not have gone for the Harvard MIT names and just mentioned the richness of the Boston area's educational institution.

I value education greatly, so I do not see a negative in Brown's educational interest. I also feel that in a team environment that is filled with kids from lesser circumstances, humility may be important so you do not have a Kobe Bryant situation. Kobe had to reach the pinnacle of the sport to overcome is 'aloofness'.
To be honest, this is one tempest in a teapot. First, he is 19 and from the west coast so I can understand that he mentions MIT before mentioning Emerson. ::)

Next, he is from cal. That is a very good school and it's not arrogant of him to focus on even better schools for his education.

This "fear" of him being disruptively arrogant based upon this statement is really weak.

The media says "California". There are many California state schools. Berkeley is the best one--traditionally one of the best in the country. About like Stanford.

The kid must have some smarts to go to Berkeley and take a grad course his first year. So it's not surprising to have him mention the two top schools in the Boston area.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Grad Level online courses are few and far between, and what I've seen from Brown gives me the impression that he values the intellectual atmosphere and collaboration of the classroom--which the online classes typically don't provide.

Typically a grad level class is a 3 hour seminar, one day a week, sometime between 5 and 10 PM. Typical homework for a graduate level class involves reading 2 books a week closely, and writing 2-5 pages about what you've read. I know that History, Literature, and Philosophy programs all have similar requirements. It' possible that graduate level hard science/economics courses require less work, but I tend to doubt it. Even if he had time to do the work, he would not be able to attend every class with the way the current NBA schedule is set up. If he misses 1 class, he's missed a week of class. If he's missed 3 classes, he's missed a fourth of the semester.

I know many who thought Grad classes were easier and I am not alone in that sentiment.   Maybe it is the maturity and you know how it works.   I did not go to bad school either in University of Kentucky for my graduate schooling but neither was it a juggernaut of academics.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Grad Level online courses are few and far between, and what I've seen from Brown gives me the impression that he values the intellectual atmosphere and collaboration of the classroom--which the online classes typically don't provide.

Typically a grad level class is a 3 hour seminar, one day a week, sometime between 5 and 10 PM. Typical homework for a graduate level class involves reading 2 books a week closely, and writing 2-5 pages about what you've read. I know that History, Literature, and Philosophy programs all have similar requirements. It' possible that graduate level hard science/economics courses require less work, but I tend to doubt it. Even if he had time to do the work, he would not be able to attend every class with the way the current NBA schedule is set up. If he misses 1 class, he's missed a week of class. If he's missed 3 classes, he's missed a fourth of the semester.

I know many who thought Grad classes were easier and I am not alone in that sentiment.   Maybe it is the maturity and you know how it works.   I did not go to bad school either in University of Kentucky for my graduate schooling but neither was it a juggernaut of academics.

I go to UK too! Go cats!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier