Author Topic: Do not sign Evan Turner....  (Read 3152 times)

Re: Do not sign Evan Turner....
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Sometimes in the nba, it's perception.  You limit your #3 pick to bench minutes, then the rest of the league might see him as a bust. Then you try to trade the kid and you can't get fair value.

Well said ......that's why Russell on LA seems so far ahead and great , he was thrown right in the starting line up.   

The first three picks are expected to be NBA ready.......least ready to get their feet wet

The Lakers fans had HUgE threads and arguments about should Russell start or come off the bench .

I'd say 90 % thought the only way the guy grows and slows the game down and learns is to be on the court making mistakes and attempting shots .

ET .....has been in the NBA a long time .  He need to play on another team if we are going with building though draft.  He is killing the growth of the younger players .

Brown , Hunter and Rozier and Smart need all the minute they can get.

ET and Sully need to play for NETS .

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Et grew on me but I remember when he first started playing for us, he was a bit of a train wreck.. Over time and with minutes he found a role and he flourished in that role despite his limitations.. CBS helped an already talented but miscast young vet find his Winning niche.

I use to be in the keep Turner camp until I thought, I wonder how much better Smart, Rozier or even Hunter would be at this Point right now if they were given what ET was given..
( I would have added Young but errrr, keyboard wouldn't accept it)

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 12:41:13 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I like Turner a lot and I think he is a valuable, versatile player.  I will never forget that in the paint buzzer beater against Atlanta two years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOvSBjNWYsw

Having said that I think it is time to move on.  Boston revived Turner's career and showed the league that he is a valuable piece.  I hope he lands somewhere nice, but I think we need to let the younger guys have a chance at playing some minutes off the bench that would otherwise go to ET. 

We didn't take Brown at 3 to sit him, he needs to get a shot and see what he can do.  Young (who is still only 20 years old!), Hunter, and Rozier can also help fill the minutes.  If Turner is gone one of those guys is bound to step up and show they belong.

Even if ET took a hometown discount I still don't know if I would want to sign him, as it could hinder the development of other players who I think have a lot of promise.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
...and here we go. the young guy must play because he's automatically better...

anything short of Durant replacing turner in the line up is easily going to be a failure. if brown is that guy replacing Turner we will be way worse next yr.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I like Turner quite a bit and will accept whatever Stevens and Ainge decide. 

ET played a large role in this squad's rebound from 25-57 just 3 years ago.  For that (and his hilarious self-promotion) I'll root for him anywhere except for LA. What I will not do is play much armchair GM over the summer, although I totally understand that's a big part of the quiet months on CelticsBlog.  At least for me it's time to let the Celtics brass do what they're paid to do.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown

anything short of Durant replacing turner in the line up is easily going to be a failure. if brown is that guy replacing Turner we will be way worse next yr.

So basically your saying if we don't get Durant (a Starter) to replace Turner (a bench player) We will be way worse?? Well hey, sign me up - I agree, not adding replacing Turner With Durant would make us worse..  ::)

But honestly - Turner's Production can be replace & Even upgraded with players on the roster right now..

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If it was just a question of minutes, I'd say resign Turner and then trade him if Brown develops quickly.  The problem is that Turner should be offered a ridiculous contract this offseason and he needs to take it.  If he would take 8 to 10 million to stay in Boston, I'd be thrilled but he's going to get at least 15 to 17 mil from somebody who strikes out on the big name free agents.

Mike

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think we should go hard for Durant and a big like Whiteside or Horford. A trade for Noel is still not out of the question. I think a Rozier, Jackson package could be in the works this summer. Another guy we should go hard for would be Ryan Anderson. He could help on the perimeter and would make sense if we do move Crowder. I can still see a trade or two taking place this summer. Wouldn't mind seeing this roster next year

Isaiah Thomas PG
Jaylen Brown/Jae Crowder PF
Ryan Anderson SF if we miss on Durant
Al Horford C or Whiteside
Avery Bradly SG

If we do get Durant

Isaiah Thomas/Marcus Smart PG
Jaylen Brown/Jae Crowder PF
Kevin Durant/Kelly Olynyk SF
Al Horford/Amir Johnson C
Avery Bradley/Hunter SG

Next year I hope we get another top 3 pick

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 01:58:30 PM by PaulP34 »

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If we strike out on all major free agents, and basically return the crew from last year, minus Turner and plus Brown, I think we could see a temporary drop in our win total. The amount of games that he single handedly won for us (with his nifty behind the back pull up J and his clever drives to the basket) is largely understated. At times he was the go to scorer for us.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:58:52 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

So basically your saying if we don't get Durant (a Starter) to replace Turner (a bench player) We will be way worse?? Well hey, sign me up - I agree, not adding replacing Turner With Durant would make us worse..  ::)

But honestly - Turner's Production can be replace & Even upgraded with players on the roster right now..

i'm saying if we don't sign Durant who else is out there that does what turner does? he's the only guy on the team that could get his own shot. even the "great" IT couldn't handle that.

and going by your reply I still don't think you'll get it.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 04:14:19 PM »

Offline lefty12

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
turner likely will receive better offer elsewhere

but the logic stated so far for letting him go - GIVE MINUTES to others so they can develop - is a tank philosophy

celts wont win 48 games (or more) if they play rookies - instead of acquiring veteran talent

and if you don't appreciate what turner contributed to last year's team - you don't know much about the nba

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
We ABSOLUTELY should resign Turner.  He is one of the most important pieces and a major reason for the success of the franchise. He is a big time component of how the C's do what they do.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am a fan of Turner as well.  He was really our best player at creating offense not named IT as well.  Losing him at this stage is a bit of a risk unless we can get a clear upgrade.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown

i'm saying if we don't sign Durant who else is out there that does what turner does? he's the only guy on the team that could get his own shot. even the "great" IT couldn't handle that.

and going by your reply I still don't think you'll get it.

Look man - Turner was a Good Celtic, came up with a plenty of good moments but Its not like he was not without his Flaws..  Could he get his own shot.. yes.  Last year he did pretty cool in that role..
But the truth of the matter is, when Bradley got hurt and when the Great "IT" wasn't getting it done as you stated. Neither was ET...   What he does for us is not Worth stifling the growth of a young more talented player.
I believe with a year under the belt Rozier will be able to do what Turner did only with better Defense and a 3pt shot.
I also think Smart will make that Jump.. 
and last I feel that Brown playing with the Second unit as physical as he plays will also toward the later part of the year with Time under his belt will be able to find his own shot especially against 2nd Units..

For you to jump into your crystal Ball and claim we WILL Fail if the 3rd pick in the draft replaces our journey men bench player is crazy.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Who cares if we have a worse regular season record? It might 
take a step back for a year to take 2 or 3 steps forward.

All I care about is winning championships not regular season records.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird