Author Topic: Woj- Cs one of 6 teams to get a meeting with Durant  (Read 10893 times)

Re: Woj- Cs one of 6 teams to get a meeting with Durant
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://yhoo.it/28UgZ1H

We are way on the outside looking in I'm sure but it's nice to at least get a meeting. It says to expect a decision before July 9 sounds like his minds made up already, back to the Thunder unless he's blown away most likely.

Also this from Kevin O'Connor
The Celtics are the only team on Durant's list of five teams that can sign two free agents to a max contract https://t.co/hmncXs6qJm
Not only do we have the ability to sign two max free agents, we have plenty of ammo to trade for another major upgrade at some point.  Made zero sense to do this before meeting with KD.  Meet with him, show him our options and get his input on how he wants to build his champion.  I talk about it more in this thread:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85699.msg2118795#new

Also, I think if he decides to leave OKC, it's coming down to us and Golden State.   I still think he'd be perceived as a bandwagoner if he joins Golden State.  If he's trying to build a legacy, joining that team would only be adding to Steph's resume.   And I get that's the same thing they said about LeBron and Wade when he joined Miami, but Bron put that to rest pretty quickly when he joined up with Wade.  Wade was a little past his peak and instantly 2nd banana.    Durant joining the Warriors, though, he just becomes another cog in that system with Steph as the leader.   Coming to Boston, he's unquestionably "the man".  We'd build our team around him.  There's only one basketball... you always run the risk (like Kevin Love in Cleveland) in having trouble fitting in with other elite offensive players who need the ball.   

Also, from a basketball standpoint, having Durant join one of the greatest offensive teams in history doesn't move the needle a tremendous amount.  Having Durant join an elite defensive team like Boston in dire need of elite offense - that would move the needle tremendously.   Durant alone pushes us to 60 wins.  Add another guy like Horford, and we can be mid 60s.  Depending on additional moves, this team will without a doubt have a great chance at a championship.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
IT recruiting again is it just me or are these tweets hurting more than helping? Sounds desperate and not Durants style especially when FA hasn't even opened yet

@Isaiah_Thomas
I need me a pair of those new @KDTrey5 they look comfortable lol

I'm on the fence about it. At this point, it's nice to have such a charismatic star going to bat for us on the recruiting side of things. It's just different than what we are used to (Pierce, Garnett, and Rondo being much lower key).

I'm sure IT is doing lowkey stuff as well. But it's always nice to have a little fun too.

Who knows, maybe he genuinely just wants the shoe? Lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I thought he didn't want to go through FA again and it is Blakely but he just tweeted this article

Still, if they come up short this summer, league sources tell CSNNE.com that the Celtics will be on a “watch list” of sorts by Durant’s camp when the former league MVP is expected to hit the free agent market once again in the summer of 2017.

:-\
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Looking at the list, I believe Durant cares most about what kind of people he'll work with, so low-key confidence is key.

Brad, Danny, put on your best dress, lip-gloss, and put some tissues in your bras, you'll have to be sexy.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Would be huge.

Is SA a sleeper? Aldridge/Leonard/Durant would be nasty.

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2016, 04:06:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Would be huge.

Is SA a sleeper? Aldridge/Leonard/Durant would be nasty.

I don't think they're a sleeper.  I think they've always been a legitimate threat.  They have to find a taker for Danny Green, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Golden state would lose all their depth , and would basically be a great starting 5 with no bench. Plus the team would have to change the way it plays to accommodate KD on offense.

Kd, Leonard and Aldridge would be a great trio, but would the supporting cast of an almost done Duncan, parker, ginobali be enough?

The c's have 4 potential lock down defenders with ab,smart,crowder, and brown. Have enough cap space to sign whatever big man Durant wants, and the assets to go after a 3rd all-star type.

I think he probably goes back to okc for a year to see what oladipo can add.

But the c's have a legit shot IMO

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think the Thunder stand the best chance (unless there's some locker room rift we don't know about).

Signing with the Warriors never made sense, at least for me (unless KD is fine playing as a second banana while taking a severe drop in usage). Signing with the Clippers and the Spurs would be nasty.

Boston, for me, is definitely the dark horse. Three of the four teams mentioned above are contenders without him, and OKC well, has 'home court advantage'. The biggest "plus"-es the C's have that no other team has are 1) we have a bunch of guys willing to do the dirty work, and 2) flexibility to shape the roster through another max FA or trading future draft picks.

In essence, KD has a chance to 'forge his own destiny' here. On other teams, he's just an additional piece to the blueprint.

- LilRip

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I honestly think Golden state would be a better team if they DIDNT trade for Durant and spend his max money on defense, centers, and bench players.

If not Boston I hope he lands in San Antonio just so Duncan can get one last ring. Knicks are laughable. If he based it solely on Basketball he would never pick them.

Just the fact that the Celtics have a meeting is big for me.1 month ago I thought we had like a 1% shot to get Durant. Now I think it's like 5%
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:16:16 PM by Smokeeye123 »

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2016, 05:19:02 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
http://yhoo.it/28UgZ1H

We are way on the outside looking in I'm sure but it's nice to at least get a meeting. It says to expect a decision before July 9 sounds like his minds made up already, back to the Thunder unless he's blown away most likely.

Also this from Kevin O'Connor
The Celtics are the only team on Durant's list of five teams that can sign two free agents to a max contract https://t.co/hmncXs6qJm
Not only do we have the ability to sign two max free agents, we have plenty of ammo to trade for another major upgrade at some point.  Made zero sense to do this before meeting with KD.  Meet with him, show him our options and get his input on how he wants to build his champion.  I talk about it more in this thread:  http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=85699.msg2118795#new

Also, I think if he decides to leave OKC, it's coming down to us and Golden State.   I still think he'd be perceived as a bandwagoner if he joins Golden State.  If he's trying to build a legacy, joining that team would only be adding to Steph's resume.   And I get that's the same thing they said about LeBron and Wade when he joined Miami, but Bron put that to rest pretty quickly when he joined up with Wade.  Wade was a little past his peak and instantly 2nd banana.    Durant joining the Warriors, though, he just becomes another cog in that system with Steph as the leader.   Coming to Boston, he's unquestionably "the man".  We'd build our team around him.  There's only one basketball... you always run the risk (like Kevin Love in Cleveland) in having trouble fitting in with other elite offensive players who need the ball.   

Also, from a basketball standpoint, having Durant join one of the greatest offensive teams in history doesn't move the needle a tremendous amount.  Having Durant join an elite defensive team like Boston in dire need of elite offense - that would move the needle tremendously.   Durant alone pushes us to 60 wins.  Add another guy like Horford, and we can be mid 60s.  Depending on additional moves, this team will without a doubt have a great chance at a championship.

But what's the better strategy to convince him. Come to him with a solid extremely detailed plan or just have our roster be a blank slate that he could design to his liking? He might be turned off by one or the other.