Author Topic: Woj- Cs one of 6 teams to get a meeting with Durant  (Read 10914 times)

Re: Woj- Cs one of 6 teams to get a meeting with Durant
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 02:34:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Remember that time Danny Ainge got fined by David Stern for talking to Durant's Mother during one of his college games-?

Well, this is where it pays off.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's nice to have a shot - this confirms we are a plausible destination for Durant, which there was a lot of speculation on over the season.  But just like over the season I still feel like we're like the 4th or 5th most likely choice, which isn't too far from having no chance at all, probability wise. 

Hopefully we can sell him on the professionalism of the organization and have a plausible 2nd FA signing lined up, and present a clear game plan for using our current and future assets to improve the rest of the roster.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Miami LA FA destinations
Wariors and Spurs elite teams 66 and 73 wins last year
OKC current team
Boston

word is he doesnt care about market. This bodes well for us when going up against the clippers and Heat. The idea that he doesnt wanna do this again next year gives us a much better shot against OKC and something doesnt feel right about Golden State. I just dont see him going there.

San Antonio on the other hand. I cant see why hed go here instead of there. The West has GS but the East has Cleveland. We have Brad but they have Pop. We have organizational stability but they have even more. We have more history but they have more recent history. We have a solid squad they have a legit contender. Hed be the alpha male here and hed be there too, where hed play with the other 2 most humble superstars in the league. I think we can beat out LA and Miami easily. I think we can beat out GSW too same with OKC but I dont see us beating out San Antonio.

I think the Spurs have the same problems than the Warriors

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
While Durant may visit New York City to meet teams for free agency, I don't see him choosing Boston as his destination just like I didn't see Danny Ainge making major trades with the #3 pick. We may bring in some FA but I don't see any fireworks happening. And all you people who bashed me for saying there wouldn't be fireworks or a trade for Butler are now the ones all mad at Danny but if you just listened to me you wouldn't be so butt hurt right now.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
We got a meeting??? Somebody, quick, get Russell/Heinsohn/and every other Celtics great on the phone. They've got a recruitment trip!

I agree.  How can KD say no when Russell, Cousy, Heinsohn, Hondo, Jo Jo, Cowens and the rest of the legends show up at his front door with Kelly's Fried Clams, A lobster roll and Regina's Pizza.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Miami LA FA destinations
OKC current team
Boston

word is he doesnt care about market. This bodes well for us when going up against the clippers and Heat. The idea that he doesnt wanna do this again next year gives us a much better shot against OKC and something doesnt feel right about Golden State. I just dont see him going there.

San Antonio on the other hand. I cant see why hed go here instead of there. The West has GS but the East has Cleveland. We have Brad but they have Pop. We have organizational stability but they have even more. We have more history but they have more recent history. We have a solid squad they have a legit contender. Hed be the alpha male here and hed be there too, where hed play with the other 2 most humble superstars in the league. I think we can beat out LA and Miami easily. I think we can beat out GSW too same with OKC but I dont see us beating out San Antonio.

Yeah and the Spurs got bounced by the Clippers in the first-round during their title defense year. The following year, stood no chance against OKC.

Come to the EAST, KD! Come to the Celtics!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Yahoo Sports

Sources: KD to host free-agent meetings starting July 1

Yahoo Sports By Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical 6 hours ago

Oklahoma City Thunder superstar Kevin Durant is planning to host free-agency meetings at a singular location starting July 1, league sources told The Vertical.

Durant’s representatives at Roc Nation are working to solidify invitations with the Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Thunder, league sources said.
The meetings are expected to take place in New York, but teams are still awaiting word on a location.

The Thunder remain the frontrunners to re-sign Durant, likely on a one-plus-one-year deal that will allow Durant to return to free agency in the summer of 2017, league sources said. But more than any other rival suitor, the Warriors have Durant's attention, league sources said.

Durant’s public and private criteria for the free-agent selection process have pertained to a singular focus: the chance to win titles immediately.

Several teams that have interest in Durant – the Denver Nuggets, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and Washington Wizards – could still find audiences with him, but appear to be outsiders in the process now.

Durant is planning to leave on a publicity tour in the Far East on July 9, and a decision is expected before the departure date, league sources said.

For anyone doubting Ainge's performance during this second rebuild: look at the teams on that list.

(In particular it gives me such great satisfaction to see that we are on it, and the Lakers, the darlings of the free agent market since forever, are not.)
Good Point

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 02:56:39 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
While Durant may visit New York City to meet teams for free agency, I don't see him choosing Boston as his destination just like I didn't see Danny Ainge making major trades with the #3 pick. We may bring in some FA but I don't see any fireworks happening. And all you people who bashed me for saying there wouldn't be fireworks or a trade for Butler are now the ones all mad at Danny but if you just listened to me you wouldn't be so butt hurt right now.

I'm right with you, but  this is something.  They have a chance for the first time.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I would put us in third for Durant.

1.  Thunder.

2.  Spurs/Warriors.

3.  Boston.

4.  Clippers.

5.  Heat.

I put the Spurs and Warriors together because it's essentially the same decision.  "Do I want to fit in on the established contender that will have to gut themselves to make room for me?  Or do I want to go to the team that will become a contender by building around me?"  It's Spurs/GSW vs. Boston, not Spurs vs. GSW vs. Boston.

Throwing the Clippers and the Heat in the mix sounds like a combination of agents keeping good relationships with GMs and wanting to put pressure on the four real possibilities.  Why would you ever pick the Clippers over San Antonio or Golden State and why would you pick Miami with Wade on the downside and Bosh's medical issues?

Mike

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 03:02:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

You said there was a zero percent chance of Durant coming here

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Miami LA FA destinations
OKC current team
Boston

Yea if anything I always felt he's go there too. The thing is though Kawhi is the same position as him so might make him think twice.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
we've gone over this man. You took a bunch of likely stances and said they were garunteed to happen. Its kinda like if I pulled out a deck of cards and said there is a 0% chance I pull out a 9. Then everyone else disagrees and says you are an idiot there is obviously a chance that you pull out a 9 and you pulled a card out. It wasnt a 9 and then said, see! if only youd listened to me. The smart money was always that we would not get Butler or Durant that doesnt make it impossible. These are different things.

We have a meeting with Durant and discussed a Jimmy Butler trade, and so did Minny. So therefor we had a chance (albeit slim) at both of them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
He may say market does not matter, but he did not say location does not matter.

Of the 6 teams Boston just happens to be the closest to Maryland where I believe he is from, or is it DC?

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I would put us in third for Durant.

1.  Thunder.

2.  Spurs/Warriors.

3.  Boston.

4.  Clippers.

5.  Heat.

I put the Spurs and Warriors together because it's essentially the same decision.  "Do I want to fit in on the established contender that will have to gut themselves to make room for me?  Or do I want to go to the team that will become a contender by building around me?"  It's Spurs/GSW vs. Boston, not Spurs vs. GSW vs. Boston.

Throwing the Clippers and the Heat in the mix sounds like a combination of agents keeping good relationships with GMs and wanting to put pressure on the four real possibilities.  Why would you ever pick the Clippers over San Antonio or Golden State and why would you pick Miami with Wade on the downside and Bosh's medical issues?

Mike
Because Pat Riley has mysterious powers.

I think the GSW Spurs questions are a bit different because in Golden State hes not the alpha dog and he comes across as more of a front-runner. In San Antonio hes the alphadog (player at least) and he comes across as less of a front-runner
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
we've gone over this man. You took a bunch of likely stances and said they were garunteed to happen. Its kinda like if I pulled out a deck of cards and said there is a 0% chance I pull out a 9. Then everyone else disagrees and says you are an idiot there is obviously a chance that you pull out a 9 and you pulled a card out. It wasnt a 9 and then said, see! if only youd listened to me. The smart money was always that we would not get Butler or Durant that doesnt make it impossible. These are different things.

We have a meeting with Durant and discussed a Jimmy Butler trade, and so did Minny. So therefor we had a chance (albeit slim) at both of them.

That's a pretty good way of looking at it, with the cards
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about