Author Topic: Can anyone think of another 275 pound athletic Freak?  (Read 11464 times)

Re: Can anyone think of another 275 pound athletic Freak?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The Bucks may have the Greek Freak.....but we have.......

The French Freak

I like the alliteration better than the rhyme. Rolls off the tongue better.

If Yabs works out, maybe we don't have to listen to all those moaners and groaners on here decrying the fact that Ante.... whatever his name is, isn't a Celtic.

Haha Tp brother I love It! Spread the word.

The French Freak!!!😂

Thanks, and TP back at you got the thread.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
A lot of hype in this thread.  Just hope Yabusele is even something close to what some people here are making him out to be having never actually seen him play other than curated highlight reels.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
A lot of hype in this thread.  Just hope Yabusele is even something close to what some people here are making him out to be having never actually seen him play other than curated highlight reels.

Nobody wanted him until we picked him. I hope he is good but people are mostly praising the pick because it fits their narrative.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Nobody wanted him until we picked him. I hope he is good but people are mostly praising the pick because it fits their narrative.

That  ::) or they want what's good for the Celts. It's the same reason some cheered on FAB and had hopes he could help the Celts. I don't see anything wrong with hoping someone will be a good player, it's all about them being able to help the team you cheer for. What, do you want them to hope he is bad or be negative for no reason? If that's what you want to do, go for it, but let people get excited if they want to.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:26 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

That  ::) or they want what's good for the Celts. It's the same reason some cheered on FAB and had hopes he could help the Celts. I don't see anything wrong with hoping someone will be a good player, it's all about them being able to help the team you cheer for. What, do you want them to hope he is bad or be negative for no reason? If that's what you want to do, go for it, but let people get excited if they want to.
I said I hope he is good
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Does anyone know what his contract situation is? Is he more likely to come over next year or the year after?

I really hope he plays in summer league so I can see him play in games.

The hype in this thread is great, but I feel like by the time he comes to Boston he will essentially be forgoten, and thus be a pleasant surprise.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He already has a nickname the "Beast"

https://twitter.com/jmedjana/status/607698479922728960

I would be careful giving a man like that a nickname, if he does not like you it would go poorly for most of you.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully he can come to take over so we can cut ties with Sullinger.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully is large part of a French Connection TOO ! 

FFRENCH FRIES

Re: Can anyone think of another 270 pound athletic Freak?
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 11:00:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The few videos I've seen of him at workouts look nothing like that dude

https://youtu.be/-5exJ7QSxDI

Are you saying you doubt that's him? It looks a lot like him.

No no, not doubting it's him - just that the selfie of him looks like a completely different body type than his workout video.

But if he's coming from a boxing background, he certainly has experience with body mass and weight control. Will be interesting to see how this all works out.

The DraftExpress video mentions that he's weight has fluctuated a lot over time.

Also if you watch the interview KG posted earlier, when they ask him why he wasn't getting enough rebounds he said that he gets lazy.

Combine those two bits of information, and it may explain why he looks so different in that photo compared to some of the other photos out there.  He may not be the most motivated / hard working guy out there.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

One of Danny's biggest mistakes was taking rock solid Olynyk, over the Greek Freak for the Bucks.
 A total boom or Bust pick. Well he boomed and guaranteed Ainge regrets that.

The French Freak  be his redemption. At 16 why not? Swing for the fences.

And if he Busts we are already with the nickname.

The French Fried. :laugh:

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

One of Danny's biggest mistakes was taking rock solid Olynyk, over the Greek Freak for the Bucks.

I am just not sold on this guy being an NBA quality player. Just because of a few video highlights doesn't convince me. I hope I am wrong but I think it was a stretch to take him at 16. Seems like they could have got him later if they really wanted him.

I mean look at James Young going on year 3 and we still have people thinking that he may turn the corner because he is young. It ain't happening. Not in the NBA. I don't think you take a guy that young in the draft and plan on nurturing him for 6-7 years before he might be ready to be a role player. Can we just cut him or is he taking a roster spot until his contract ends?

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I am just not sold on this guy being an NBA quality player. Just because of a few video highlights doesn't convince me. I hope I am wrong but I think it was a stretch to take him at 16. Seems like they could have got him later if they really wanted him.

I mean look at James Young going on year 3 and we still have people thinking that he may turn the corner because he is young. It ain't happening. Not in the NBA. I don't think you take a guy that young in the draft and plan on nurturing him for 6-7 years before he might be ready to be a role player. Can we just cut him or is he taking a roster spot until his contract ends?

I mean James Young who cares at this point, the guy is a bust. It's not a good comparison to him because this guy is a physical specimen at 275 pounds where James Young is just a normal not very athletic 6-6 Wing player with no ball-handling ability or anything besides shooting he's garbage.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

We have no idea if we could have gotten him later.  After about the first 9 picks the draft diverged from the mocks.  Ainge obviously wasn't convinced they could have gotten him later, otherwise they would have taken him with the 23rd or 31st.  All we have are grainy videos while Ainge and Stevens worked him out.  He appears to have the necessary skills and body to become a good player.  I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2016, 02:20:20 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I mean James Young who cares at this point, the guy is a bust. It's not a good comparison to him because this guy is a physical specimen at 275 pounds where James Young is just a normal not very athletic 6-6 Wing player with no ball-handling ability or anything besides shooting he's garbage.

In no way did I suggest to compare the two. I was stating two things: 1. I am not convinced about the French Tank yet but hope I am wrong and 2. a separate rant about Young who was picked in the same range of a draft and he is so obviously a bust but he still has so many people on this board that thinks he deserves more time and opportunity because of his age.  Sorry for mixing the two points.