Author Topic: Rumor- Ainge wanted Noel & Lakers pick  (Read 11568 times)

Re: Rumor- Ainge wanted Noel & Lakers pick
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 03:41:21 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Ainge just didn't want to deal for Noel or Okafor. He probably has his sights set on Horford over these two guys. That's much more money, but also more Durant compatible. Horford is also more versatile and experienced.

I think he's trying to keep the cap space clear for free agency. He'll address trades again, I suspect, if he has to.

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Can't blame him for asking.  Can't blame Philly for turning it down.

I actually agree with you 100% there.

If I were the Sixers, I wouldn't do that deal.  That would be incredibly one-sided in Boston's favour - perhaps Ainge thought that Philly were so desperate for Dunn that they would be willing to make a massive overpay in order to get him...if so, then I guess they called his bluff.
It could have been or the Lakers might be a good team and make the playoffs which makes it a mid 1st round pick and Noel.  Until free agency happens there is no real way to know how good the Lakers will be.  I mean they could land DeRozan and a couple of other players in DeRozan's ilk and put together a pretty nice team and still have all the young players (or maybe they trade some of the young guys for a guy like Cousins).  The Lakers pick has as much uncertainty as the Nets pick.  It could be great or it could be another blah level pick.

I think the Lakers will be a pretty good team next year.  They're not gonna make the playoffs, but they're not gonna be a bottom-5 team either.  I think that pick will be solidly in the late lottery, probably around the 7-to-10 range.  With a good FA period (like, really, really good) or a few couple big trades I could even see them making the playoffs
agreed.  LA has a better chance to draw FA's than Brooklyn IMHO.

LA has weather and Hollywood as enticements.  Lakers are the second-most heralded franchise in terms of history.  LA seems to be more of a 'home' for players in terms of guys that grew up on So Cal liking the idea of playing closer to home.  They don't have the vet players to draw any other vets so there's little worry of them climbing into the playoffs with whomever they sign.

Brooklyn doesn't have that same package to offer other than being in NYC (but not playing in MSG).  Only player of note left on their roster is Brook Lopez who's unlikely to have back-to-back years of good health.  They'll have to pay through the nose to get players of moderate talent to consider them --> anyone who's talented will sign with a franchise in better shape talent-wise since every team will have money to spend on the best players available.

Lakers will likely improve to 30 wins next year putting them between 7-10 and losing their pick becomes more palatable to them.  Nets are strong contenders for worst team in the league going into next year and I'd be very surprised if they dont' ship out Lopez in a deal at the trade deadline.

Actually, it would be back-back-back. If BKN didn't sign any good free agents, I wonder if they could go 0-82?

Mike

If they don't sign any free good free agents, I think Marks may look to deal Lopez.  If they're gonna be the worst team in the league anyway, why not deal Lopez?  Better to get value now than risk losing him for nothing if he gets injured again
I'm bitter.

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I havent read the entire trend but a couple of things I think people are missing here. Thad Young netted the Nets the 20th pick in the draft. Jeff Teague netted the 12th. Are you telling me a guy that has had a major injury to start his career, has no offensive game, and is a RFA is worth the 3rd pick in any draft?

If Ainge was trying to rip them off why didnt any other team give up a top 5 or 10 pick for him? Teague was an All Star the year before last. Come on this makes no sense.

If Ainge said I will give you 3, 23 a player (Hunter) and a low level future 1st for Noel and the Lakers pick that would probably be more far but I wouldnt even consider 3 for Noel given what I laid out above.

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I said it before the draft that Ainge should start #3 with Noel+Lakers pick
Looks like Ainge got memo

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2016, 10:33:31 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I said I give up arguing about Noel and that we'll all have to wait to judge it accurately, but I have to pipe up...

I havent read the entire trend but a couple of things I think people are missing here. Thad Young netted the Nets the 20th pick in the draft. Jeff Teague netted the 12th. Are you telling me a guy that has had a major injury to start his career, has no offensive game, and is a RFA is worth the 3rd pick in any draft?

His injury is now virtually irrelevant. Restricted free agency essentially means a team option for a four-year max contract, which might very well be his market value this time next year. Please, everybody, stop repeating the meme that he has "no offensive game", it does not get less false the more it's repeated. He can dribble pretty well for a big man, he can pass well period, and he's not even close to being the worst shooting big in the league.

If Ainge was trying to rip them off why didnt any other team give up a top 5 or 10 pick for him?

Good question.

Which team in that range would conceivably have coveted him?

Teague was an All Star the year before last. Come on this makes no sense.

He was one of the least shiny All Stars in the last 20 years. It will almost certainly be the only All Star appearance of his career. He's a somewhat above average PG in a PG-oversaturated league. There are way fewer above average mobile defensive centers. We're all used to the concept of defensively-elite offensively-limited centers being valuable, they just usually have a lot of defensive box score value wrapped up in rebounds and/or blocks like Ben Wallace, Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut, Dikembe Mutombo, etc. Noel's reputation would be far rosier if you converted 1 of the 2 steals per game he gets into an extra block per game, even though steals are inherently more valuable.

If Ainge said I will give you 3, 23 a player (Hunter) and a low level future 1st for Noel and the Lakers pick that would probably be more far but I wouldnt even consider 3 for Noel given what I laid out above.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea that the opportunity to draft Jaylen Brown was worth more than Noel, and that we might be able to acquire Noel at a clearance price later this season. But if we had been picking 4th, it would've been an absolute no-brainer to me to trade that for Noel straight up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:48:36 PM by Dino Pitino »
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I said I give up arguing about Noel and that we'll all have to wait to judge it accurately, but I have to pipe up...

His injury is now virtually irrelevant. Restricted free agency essentially means a team option for a four-year max contract, which might very well be his market value this time next year. Please, everybody, stop repeating the meme that he has "no offensive game", it does not get less false the more it's repeated. He can dribble pretty well for a big man, he can pass well period, and he's not even close to being the worst shooting big in the league.

If Ainge was trying to rip them off why didnt any other team give up a top 5 or 10 pick for him?

Good question.

Which team in that range would conceivably have coveted him?

Teague was an All Star the year before last. Come on this makes no sense.

He was one of the least shiny All Stars in the last 20 years. It will almost certainly be the only All Star appearance of his career. He's a somewhat above average PG in a PG-oversaturated league. There are way fewer above average mobile defensive centers. We're all used to the concept of defensively-elite offensively-limited centers being valuable, they just usually have a lot of defensive box score value wrapped up in rebounds and/or blocks like Ben Wallace, Andre Drummond, DeAndre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut, Dikembe Mutombo, etc. Noel's reputation would be far rosier if you converted 1 of the 2 steals per game he gets into an extra block per game, even though steals are inherently more valuable.

I'm slowly coming around to the idea that the opportunity to draft Jaylen Brown was worth more than Noel, and that we might be able to acquire Noel at a clearance price later this season. But if we had been picking 4th, it would've been an absolute no-brainer to me to trade that for Noel straight up.

The injury might not be a serious as it once was but that doenst mean it didnt happen. You have to take that into consideration.

He DOESNT have an offensive game. Yes he can score points off of PnR and putbacks but you dont throw the ball to him and expect a basket. Yes he can dribble and all that but that doesnt mean he has an offensive game. The guy is an RFA after the season. There are a number of Centers in FA this year and on a team with little O you want to trade the top pick for him and a bunch of late 1st when you already needed to get rid of picks? I dont see that at all.

No matter how shinny Teague is, he netted the 12th pick in a draft where most considered the talent the same between 9 - 40. Teams were not offering much for players. This is not coming from me but from people who have contacts in the league. Go back and look at Givony's twitter timeline where he says Noel's value is being waaaay over stated. Cold get more like a late lotto for him. Let me see, who should I believe, you or the guy that works next to Woj?

Lately, who could make an offer for him? Phx, Minny, NO, Toronto. Those teams had top 10 picks. Hell Phx traded 13,20 something and a player for 8. Im sure Philly could find value at 8 even if they didnt get their guy Dunn.