Author Topic: Rumor- Ainge wanted Noel & Lakers pick  (Read 11607 times)

Re: Rumor- Ainge wanted Noel & Lakers pick
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Good. The other deal was horrendous. Who wants a D leaguer and 2 late first round picks? What exactly are the C's going to do with those?
The story on the main page called Noel/Covington/24/26 as a "kings ransom". I say hardly, it's still basically a one-year rental of Noel.
Fixed that.

No, you didn't. You broke it.

IT WOULD NOT BE A ONE-YEAR RENTAL.

Why wouldn't it be? He's going to be a FA next year, he's not going to sign an extension (the rookie extension rules for anyone but an all-NBA player are laughable),  and he's going to get paid big time.  If we want to give him a max we can offer it next summer and, if Philly want to match, throw them something like the Clippers 2019 pick

I mean, it's semantics, but by definition it wouldn't be a rental since we would own his rights.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Good. The other deal was horrendous. Who wants a D leaguer and 2 late first round picks? What exactly are the C's going to do with those?
The story on the main page called Noel/Covington/24/26 as a "kings ransom". I say hardly, it's still basically a one-year rental of Noel.
Fixed that.

Why wouldn't it be? He's going to be a FA next year, he's not going to sign an extension (the rookie extension rules for anyone but an all-NBA player are laughable),  and he's going to get paid big time.  If we want to give him a max we can offer it next summer and, if Philly want to match, throw them something like the Clippers 2019 pick

I mean, it's semantics, but by definition it wouldn't be a rental since we would own his rights.

It's a bit weird because he's a restricted FA, but I'd consider it a rental just like I would consider Hayward a rental.  I think we're frontrunners (or at least close enough that giving up the #3 is too much)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Fixed that.

Noah, who was a shell of his former sself, is getting max from the Wizards this season. How much are you prepared to match for Noel?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Fixed that.

If not a one year rental then it would be the privalage of paying Noel a max deal next season.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Can't blame him for asking.  Can't blame Philly for turning it down.

Same reaction for me. If I was Ainge, that's the package I'd ask for as well.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 11:07:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
So, again, it's not okay for Ainge to ask for the moon but it's okay if he settles for a box of rocks?  Why is journalism so enamored with stuff that didn't happen instead of telling us about stuff that they hear may be happening?  I'll tell you, it's because it's easier for hack journalist to get the scoop after the fact than to get developing stories.  Also, it's easy for teams to make up what was offered/rejected after the fact.

Because journalism, as it's supposed to be, is nearly nonexistent these days.

This is the truest statement ever on Celticsblog.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Fixed that.

It is most definitely a one-year rental, not matter how big you make the font.  He is a free agent in one year. 

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 11:13:48 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Fixed that.

It's a bit weird because he's a restricted FA, but I'd consider it a rental just like I would consider Hayward a rental.  I think we're frontrunners (or at least close enough that giving up the #3 is too much)

Well yeah, Hayward is an unrestricted free agent, so we essentially don't own his rights, so to say. But say that we absolutely wanted Noel next summer after he made some sort of ungodly leap. We'd be at the mercy of the 76ers to not match an offer sheet, so I think it's hard to say we're front runners.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Fixed that.

It is most definitely a one-year rental, not matter how big you make the font.  He is a free agent in one year.

Restricted free agent. Big difference.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 11:19:34 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Exactly what I thought should be the offer.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:09 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Fixed that.

He is eligible for an extension this fall. If we had traded for him, there's zero chance that we wouldn't have done so with the idea of extending him, or in the worst case, matching absolutely any offer he'd get as a restricted free agent. There is no universe in which the Celtics trade for Noel but neither extend nor match him. If extended had been the way, that doesn't necessarily equate to a max extension. (But just out of curiosity, what exactly would that max extension look like?) And if matched had been the way, and if it were a max offer, then guess what, that means Noel would be commanding a max offer, i.e., he'd be really good, i.e., he'd be worth it. There is no way that Noel would only play for us for one year.

No. Way.

The large font doesn't make it truer. It just makes it easier to read and comprehend for those of you not getting the situation.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 12:31:05 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Noel and one of either the Lakers' pick or Philly's own pick is exactly the tipping point where I thought a deal would be worth it as well. If Ainge held the line there, I don't blame him. For what it's worth, a four-year max contract for Noel next summer, assuming you let him go find an offer somewhere else and matched it, will wind up looking something like $100 million over 4 years. Whether you think he's worth giving up the third pick in order to pay him $25 million a year is up to you.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:09 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Fixed that.

He is eligible for an extension this fall. If we had traded for him, there's zero chance that we wouldn't have done so with the idea of extending him, or in the worst case, matching absolutely any offer he'd get as a restricted free agent. There is no universe in which the Celtics trade for Noel but neither extend nor match him. If extended had been the way, that doesn't necessarily equate to a max extension. (But just out of curiosity, what exactly would that max extension look like?) And if matched had been the way, and if it were a max offer, then guess what, that means Noel would be commanding a max offer, i.e., he'd be really good, i.e., he'd be worth it. There is no way that Noel would only play for us for one year.

No. Way.

The large font doesn't make it truer. It just makes it easier to read and comprehend for those of you not getting the situation.

Why would any impending free agent give up his ability to hit the open market by prematurely agreeing to an extension? I can't recall the last rookie to have done so.

He could absolutely suck next year, and still get some cap-space happy team to throw big money at him.

Restricted free agency gives the "home team" opportunity to retain the guy, but it doesn't necessarily make it a wise move.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 01:06:55 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Why would any impending free agent give up his ability to hit the open market by prematurely agreeing to an extension? I can't recall the last rookie to have done so.

Literally every year a crop of guys signs rookie extensions. Whether an individual player gets a good deal or a bad deal varies on a case-by-case basis, but extensions get signed every year.

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 01:20:37 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Literally every year a crop of guys signs rookie extensions. Whether an individual player gets a good deal or a bad deal varies on a case-by-case basis, but extensions get signed every year.

Can you give me an example from this past season? I honestly do not recall one. Especially a top-ten draftee.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague