Author Topic: Herald on Danny playing hardball  (Read 10397 times)

Re: Herald on Danny playing hardball
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Meanwhile Minny comes out and flat out says, price for Butler ridiculous. I would trust that more than some beat writer looking for click bait

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:19 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
But drafting Dunn and swapping him to Philly was CLEARLY a better play for the long-term future of the Celtics. Zero question in my mind about it. Noel is a New Englander, and given that the Durant-to-Boston things are a figment of Green Team imaginations, signing him long-term isn't a reach at all.

"CLEARLY" - because, well, crystal balls, right?   What, exactly was the price on the table that Philly was asking?  Do you know?  No, you don't.

If we really and truly want Noel, we could still possibly offer a package with Smart for him -- that still seems like a pretty fair value trade, adjusting for contract difference.

The bigger question is whether we truly want him or not.   Despite your assertion about what might be "CLEAR", it is not at all a consensus.

People acting like the off-season is already over are being ridiculous.   There is a long way to go before the 2016-17 roster is set.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think our biggest problem with the trade market was this:  Other teams see all of our extra assets, and figure that Danny has more "currency" to spend, then the other teams in the trade market. Therefore they want some extra juice from him. It is human nature to think this way. Danny, on the other hand, is thinking, "hey, just because I have a bigger bank account, I don't want to pay a premium. I should be able to buy assets for the same (equivalent) price as the guy who has fewer assets.

I really think this is the prime (not exclusive, but prime) source for getting a trade done on mutually acceptable terms.

The accusations made against Ainge by insecure GM's is a lot of garbage.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 12:07:26 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Meanwhile Minny comes out and flat out says, price for Butler ridiculous. I would trust that more than some beat writer looking for click bait

And Phoenix, clearly and openly looking to acquire a young big man (they came out of the draft with THREE), didn't seem too interested in trading the pick to Philly for Noel.

I suppose it's possible that if we had taken Bender, that PHO might have dealt the pick for Noel.  But that is just speculation.  One can't help but wonder, though, if knowledge that PHO would take Bender and thus Dunn slipping to MIN (who would be far less interested in Noel), leaving Philly holding the bag, played into Danny's choices.

It technically means that Noel is still in play, possibly for some other deal.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Isn't it funny how Danny's apologists would defend him at all cost, even when the clear evidence is there that he f'ked the franchise over, setting back its chances at winning the championship anytime soon?

Well, I hope all these people making excuses for him do not complain at the coming drought in Boston land.  Of course they don't see the magnitude of what he did (or didn't do) at the draft.  If you think Boston has hard time getting a star in free agency, you have no clue.  That ship sailed on any chance we may have getting Durant, Butler, or anyone else.  You better hope DWight like cold weather lol

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isn't it funny how Danny's apologists would defend him at all cost, even when the clear evidence is there that he f'ked the franchise over, setting back its chances at winning the championship anytime soon?

Well, I hope all these people making excuses for him do not complain at the coming drought in Boston land.  Of course they don't see the magnitude of what he did (or didn't do) at the draft.  If you think Boston has hard time getting a star in free agency, you have no clue.  That ship sailed on any chance we may have getting Durant, Butler, or anyone else.  You better hope DWight like cold weather lol

LOL!   "The force hyperbole is strong in this one!"

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think he's looking past trades right now and focusing on FA signings. He'll probably address the trade situation after he sees what he can get with FAs. He has kept salary clear for FAs. He can always get more "flexible" with trades later, if he has to. That's the way I read it.

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There's a lot of ridiculousness here today.  A lot.

1) It's been said for awhile that we need to start consolidating assets.  And yet, the supposed offer that has many riled up is one in which we were getting four things for one thing.  If we were giving away just a single thing, and it was a fair trade, then that means our one thing was the best asset.  And that would have been the opposite of consolidation, and therefore the opposite of what the majority of this forum has been demanding for months.

This is the biggest thing to me - what on Earth were we going to do with 2 more 1st round picks?  We couldn't even sell them as we're close to the limit for cash taken in trades. 

The only way being frustrated at turning that down makes sense is if you value Noel more than the #3, which Philly obviously didn't.  Otherwise we just have more guaranteed contracts to dump and could even wind up paying to get rid of them.

The other big trade we allegedly turned down was Butler for #3, Bradley, Crowder, and 2017 BKN.  That to me seems an awful lot like Chicago needing to fleece us.  No problem there either.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Ainge's #1 priority should be the happiness of rival GMs around the league. Why isn't he giving them exactly what they want?

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

1) It's been said for awhile that we need to start consolidating assets.  And yet, the supposed offer that has many riled up is one in which we were getting four things for one thing.  If we were giving away just a single thing, and it was a fair trade, then that means our one thing was the best asset.  And that would have been the opposite of consolidation, and therefore the opposite of what the majority of this forum has been demanding for months.

This is the biggest thing to me - what on Earth were we going to do with 2 more 1st round picks?  We couldn't even sell them as we're close to the limit for cash taken in trades. 

The only way being frustrated at turning that down makes sense is if you value Noel more than the #3, which Philly obviously didn't.  Otherwise we just have more guaranteed contracts to dump and could even wind up paying to get rid of them.

The other big trade we allegedly turned down was Butler for #3, Bradley, Crowder, and 2017 BKN.  That to me seems an awful lot like Chicago needing to fleece us.  No problem there either.

But...but....fireworks!  We needed fireworks.  Who cares if the fireworks drained our asset coffers & led us towards the treadmill rout!  I wanted fireworks & excitement & Wyc betrayed me & the fans and let us all down.  I want my instant gratification & fireworks!!

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

LOL!   "The force hyperbole is strong in this one!"

Only "hyperbole" to the ones who can't deal with reality.  Jaylen Brown is your "superstar" for years to come  lol.  Have fun with that reality lol.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2016, 12:29:42 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
What did Ainge say about Brown?  Give the kid a chance lol.

Classic comment from a GM who just blew the number 3 pick on a guy that needs to be given a chance lol.  I couldn't care less anymore.  It's laughable at this point.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

But...but....fireworks!  We needed fireworks.  Who cares if the fireworks drained our asset coffers & led us towards the treadmill rout!  I wanted fireworks & excitement & Wyc betrayed me & the fans and let us all down.  I want my instant gratification & fireworks!!

If it had been 2 future 1sts I'd probably be on board with the frustrated crew - don't know much about Brown though.  But 2 1sts in this draft had basically 0 and possibly negative value to us.  Philly just wanted to use their glut of 1sts this year and we had no use for them.

I'm frustrated with no major moves myself - something has to give by roster cutdown - it's just that the offers that come out never seem to make much sense for us to take.  Hopefully the big move comes in free agency and we shuffle the roster from there. 

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
We want a stupid GM !!!

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Did Noel or Okafor get traded and I missed it? As far as I know, no team was up for trading for them, and the Sixers are still desperate to move one of them before the season starts.