Author Topic: When will Danny become the Celtics GM, instead of its internet Darling?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'm not even mad about the draft anymore.  It's the fact that he didn't get any deal done (imagine that, we were the only team who had the chance to splurge but no...not Danny).  Then all these people who are still caught up on banner 17 that happened 10 years ago.  You have the right to your opinion as much as I do mine but c'mon...year after year, we are dealt this hand by a guy who built his entire reputation among the GMs on how much he can screw them.  Sooner or later, even the dumbest GM in the league would start questioning your integrity, even when the deal is advantageous to him.  He'd rather lose to another GM than do a deal with you. 

It's been 10 years, people.  When are we going to start looking at him for results instead of the usual "oh, it's Danny.  He knows what to do.  He knows better than everybody else?"  When are you going to put him in a hot-seat and demand better?  When should he start feeling the apprehension that his job may be on the line if he did not deliver?  When would enough be enough?

"Give the kid a chance?"  LOL!  "Give the kid a chance?" 

Tell me, should that be a sentence out of a GM who had a #3 draft pick?

Fab Melo, JJJ, Young, Perkins,...when?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:50:23 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I agree, but I think he will be judged this time 2018.

I believe Angie is still a very good trader, but being too obvious may have back fired on him.

As for drafting, he's always been average or below. Some would argue he hasn't got much chance to draft high impact player, now Brown is his second chance, we'll see what happens in a couple of years

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
When did the Big Three era end? It started in 2008, and ended around the year of 2012; so only realistically 4 years removed from contending. From that year we bottomed out, and year by year have been getting significantly better. 25 wins - 40 wins - 48 wins. Aside from Miami, none of the championship teams were built in one day, and neither is this team. There has been incredible progress, matched by none of the current rebuilding teams.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Our last championship was 8 years ago.  We were in the finals 6 years ago.  We still had Pierce, KG, Ray and Rondo like 3 years ago.  We were still unloading contracts from that era until this past year.  These are the picks we are seeing from all that work. It's not as easy to disassemble a championship core as people think and then rebuild it.    In the past 5 years since the celtics were in the finals against the Lakers, it's been Lebron, Curry and San Antonio who have won championships.  No other teams or players have been able to do that.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
When did the Big Three era end? It started in 2008, and ended around the year of 2012; so only realistically 4 years removed from contending. From that year we bottomed out, and year by year have been getting significantly better. 25 wins - 40 wins - 48 wins. Aside from Miami, none of the championship teams were built in one day, and neither is this team. There has been incredible progress, matched by none of the current rebuilding teams.

No, the big three era started in '07.  We won the championship in '08.  We would've won another one had Danny not trade away Perkins for bag of chips.

How long as Danny being the Celtic's GM?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
Our last championship was 8 years ago.  We were in the finals 6 years ago.  We still had Pierce, KG, Ray and Rondo like 3 years ago.  We were still unloading contracts from that era until this past year.  These are the picks we are seeing from all that work. It's not as easy to disassemble a championship core as people think and then rebuild it.    In the past 5 years since the celtics were in the finals against the Lakers, it's been Lebron, Curry and San Antonio who have won championships.  No other teams or players have been able to do that.

True.  8 years ago.  Brain fart, but does 2 years make any difference especially when we had the opportunity to significantly upgrade the team?  All we got for the big 3 is Crowder and the mess that happened yesterday.  Are you satisfied with that?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:33:34 PM by Clench123 »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
IF he's not a top 5 GM, he's a top 8 GM. Nobody is perfect. He's made some ugly mistakes before (Gabe Pruitt, not taking Jordan, Marc Gasol and others).

Here's the deal: Find a better one, make the case and we'll get behind said GM candidate and take it to the internet for publicity.

The alternative to GM Danny Ainge could be potentially horrendous. I'm not a huge Ainge guy, but I trust the entire front office generally to make more good moves than bad. They have been doing that, in spades.

Whether we build slow or build quick, we're building and I like the direction. I'm sure he would have done a Butler deal if it was reasonable.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The thing is Ainge made mistakes letting Tony Allen go.  Drafting players like Gerald Green who needed Ainge to buy him hair  products.  Now he is being criticized for drafting Brown and more nba ready players and hanging onto Smart and guys like Bradley.  Fans are going to complain regardless.

I have never agreed with everything Ainge does.  I didn't like the Shaq signing.  I didn't like letting Allen go at the time.  Marbury etc..  Even the Brandon Bass trade fans cheered which didn't do a lot for us. I understand Davis wanted out and Ainge kind of fell prey to that mindset.

I like what Ainge is doing now though. 

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Huh, you know (and I might be mistaken, so correct me if I'm wrong), I think Danny is the Celtics GM.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I don't know what people expect though. He could have kept Ray, Pierce adn KG and rode them into the ground and it might have been even longer.  there are ways where he could have positioned himself better in drafts but we don't know that.

These are the picks we are seeing from that now.  It's  easy to say he could have traded for so and so. How and who? Who would have won us a championship?  Who were we trading?  Was he supposed to trade a 38 year old Garnett for Lebron just like that?

Some fans I'm convinced are just crazy.  Give me a way where he could have done that?  Were you all over that at the time? I can tell you I was and it's not that easy.  Easy for people to sit there and say oh he should have done this after the fact. Were you on top of it then?  I highly doubt it.

Plus those players weren't going to get a championship anyways.  So he missed Whiteside some draft.  Whiteside wasn't getting us a championship. 

Had Ainge given up 8 picks to move up and get wiggins would be we any closer to a championship? He hired Stevens. Brown fits what Stevens wants to do.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:44:40 PM by walker834 »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Glad that Danny and Brad just got extended, and conversations like this are moot.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Which GM put us in a situation where we're in the playoffs, but also have a top-3 pick?  Along with a pick that should be in the lottery next year, as well?

Which GM landed us an All-Star PG on a super cheap contract?

Which GM drafted Avery Bradley, who made the All-Defense team and is signed to a bargain deal?

Which GM traded for an undervalued Jae Crowder, and signed him to a great deal?

I don't get the angst.  Would trading for Thad Young have moved the needle for us?  Should Danny have just kept desperately shoveling more and more assets at Chicago until they traded us Jimmy Butler?

Other fan bases, his peers, and pundits regard Danny as one of the best in the business.  I'm surprised how many Celtics fans disagree.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

True.  8 years ago.  Brain fart, but does 2 years make any difference especially when we had the opportunity to significantly upgrade the team?  All we got for the big 3 is Crowder and the mess that happened yesterday.  Are you satisfied with that?

Huh? Of course two years makes a huge difference. Two years ago, we were coming off a 25 win season heading into a new season with Rondo, Jeff Green and rookie Marcus Smart. Two years later we have won 48 games, have traded for an all star in IT and watched Bradley develop into a first team defender. We just added a blue chip wing prospect to a 47-50 win team. Do you know how many teams dream of having that opportunity? Two years from now, we could potentially have two other blue chip prospects to add to a continually improving team.

So yeah, I am completely satisfied with the haul we got for a completely dead in the water Pierce and KG back in 2013. That trade directly resulted (use of Pierce's exception and first round pick) in Isaiah Thomas also. So Isaiah Thomas (all star), Zeller (rotation big), James Young (meh), Jaylen Brown (blue chip prospect), and two other potential top 5 picks for two players in their mid 30s? I really can't see how you couldn't be at least somewhat satisfied.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Danny explained that well I thought. There are maybe 18 or so transcendent players in the nba.  At any given time there might be 4 or so that are available and the asking price is usually ridiculous and is not going to move the needle for us. Unless we can get 2 or 3 of those guys somehow we aren't challenging Lebron, Love and Kyrie.  Selling the entire farm to get one or taking on bad assets to do it does not accomplish that.

It's that line of thinking. The math and logic does not add up.  So we sell our entire farm and take on bad contracts to get one player.  Then we spend 5 years trying to turn that into something and that player leaves by then.  It doesn't work that way.  There are only so many roster spots.  Unless a situation presents itself where we can get in position to get 2 or 3 players its pointless.

Otherwise we just build through the draft. Keep our flexibility and grow our own talent. Where we have cap space to add someone as well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 08:03:05 PM by walker834 »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I'm telling you guys.. Its that NBA 2k Way of thinking.. just press a button and presto - All stars are magically added to your team.

And who in the world would not make draft picks any more because A few of them didnt pan out.. EVERY GM has had Draft picks not pan out.. It's the nature of the job.