Author Topic: What's your rate for this Celtics draft?  (Read 1722 times)

What's your rate for this Celtics draft?
« on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:23 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I'd give it a C.

To be honest I'm disappointed for no draft day trade. Not blaming Angie, but even himself probably wouldn't want to end up drafting so many players. Stash #16 and #23 feels more like a cut loss move.

Re: What's your rate for this Celtics draft?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I give it an A.  I think DA went above and beyond and what he did is more difficult than a lot of people think.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
F.    I could have read the draft guide twenty minutes prior and made these picks.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Has to be an A. Top 3 pick. Future 1st. 2 Euro Prospects. 2 proven NCCA studs in 2nd round. I wish every year could be that good.

We got a fantastic prospect with the #3 overall pick. That alone is enough.

Then we nab 2 intriguing guys that we have the option to stash overseas, if needed.

We grab a future first (although I'd like to have picked Davis).

Then we nab Jackson and Bentel, who I think can both contribute or become trade assets.

The last guy is summer league fodder.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
BTW, are the folks trashing last night's draft the same folks who trashed the KG/PP trade? I sense a connection.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Waste of time .

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
I say B-

I like Brown at 3, but feel like they could have landed Yabusele and Zizic with the 2nd rounders they sent to Memphis. Maybe the market for 16 & 23 was poor, but should have been able to get something better than that protected Clippers pick.

Great value with Bentil and Jackson, hope they can stick.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 07:27:34 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If you asked me last night, right as the trade speculation was at its highest intensity, I would have said F.

Now? I give it a solid B+
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Solid B.  Brown is acceptable at #3.  I would have taken Zizic at #16, so getting him at #23 is good.  The trade with Memphis is severely underrated around here when it was a solid increase in value.  Jackson and Bentil were solid picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
D-

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 07:40:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I say B-

I like Brown at 3, but feel like they could have landed Yabusele and Zizic with the 2nd rounders they sent to Memphis. Maybe the market for 16 & 23 was poor, but should have been able to get something better than that protected Clippers pick.

Great value with Bentil and Jackson, hope they can stick.

They couldn't draft all eight players and be able to make roster changes and cuts, it's going to be tough enough before the draft, and then you add FA it gets really tight as of Oct.

Can't draft college players with 16 and 23 if you want to save cap space because you have to guarantee their salary. Second rounders you don't. They liked the Two Euro's but DA said they are a year out of being REALLY ready for the NBA. So draft and stash, save cap. Trade two second round picks for a future first which becomes value in a trade, draft the next two for summer league and maybe they stick, but can cut them with out hurting the cap.

They'll probably decide on the Euro's after FA. If no one of significance (Durant) comes over or they can't land a Noah or Horford, then they'll keep them if they've really soured on Sully and Zeller.

If the two second rounders don't pan out, you only really have to pay Brown this year, and keep flex for next year. 

So while not trading for Noel or Butler was a bummer. The over all draft for the position we are in I'd give a B+. I still need to see our players and the ones that got drafted around them.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 07:50:59 PM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Wondering if you read my post, or just quoted it arbitrarily.

My point is that they likely could have traded 16 & 23 rather than 31 & 35 and still been able to get Yabusele and Zizic. Probably Yabusele, maybe not Zizic, but equal value for sure. In any case, there were abundant talented euros available to draft and stash at the top of the 2nd round.

And, as you mentioned, 2nd rounders are not guaranteed contracts, so they could have gone in for a college player and had him fight for a spot in camp & summer league.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:06:45 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wondering if you read my post, or just quoted it arbitrarily.

My point is that they likely could have traded 16 & 23 rather than 31 & 35 and still been able to get Yabusele and Zizic. Probably Yabusele, maybe not Zizic, but equal value for sure. In any case, there were abundant talented euros available to draft and stash at the top of the 2nd round.

And, as you mentioned, 2nd rounders are not guaranteed contracts, so they could have gone in for a college player and had him fight for a spot in camp & summer league.

But who say's they would have been there at 31 and 35. DA seemed to really like both of them today. Yabu is what Sully could be if he wasn't over weight and Zizic was one of the best Euro prospects. The other Euro's seemed be be either not as good, or were SF's, so with going with Brown and chasing Druant doesn't make sense. So are they an Over reach, yeah, but over all a smart move because of how he can maneuver them.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:16:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I give it an A-.

I'm excited about Yabusele, I really like him. He seems like a sleeper pick, and many people could argue that if Draymond Green went in any draft, chances are he's going top 7 at least. Although, I don't really see him like Draymond Green, but a hybrid of Green/Diaw. He definitely fits the mold for what the Spurs would choose in a prospect.

Brown is just an absolute freak of nature. I've seen him dribble full sprint in 4.1 seconds and literally tomahawk from the free throw line. His vertical and his ability to gain so much air is ridiculous.

But getting Bentil and Jackson was just the icing on the cake for me.

At first, I was very sad, because I honestly believed Butler could've been on the table. But the more I thought about it, and the more I realized who we had picked up in the 1st and 2nd round, I'm 100% confident under the support of Ainge, and coaching of Stevens, that all of these players will thrive.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:24:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Solid B.  Brown is acceptable at #3.  I would have taken Zizic at #16, so getting him at #23 is good.  The trade with Memphis is severely underrated around here when it was a solid increase in value.  Jackson and Bentil were solid picks.
Word is Yabusele killed it in workouts. Who knows where he would have gone, guys who were supposed to go in the second round went like candy.

The overall attitude towards the Memphis trade is a complete head scratcher. First, LAC is not going to be all that good for all that long, and second -- this puts you squarely into a range where you can scoop a sliding lottery prospect or someone like Bradley. It's excellent future value for two players you probably won't have roster spots for in the observable future.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."