Author Topic: Trying to wrap my head around the Celtic's roster  (Read 3899 times)

Re: Trying to wrap my head around the Celtic's roster
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 07:08:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Zeller and Sully are gone. I think someone overpays Sullinger too.

Moving on from Sully would be a good thing.   I think we are going for a big in free agency.   One that plays on both ends and can stay in shape.  This is a guy who ate himself out of contention and got out of shape during the season while playing the last two seasons.  Time to cut the cord on doughboy!

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Better resign Zeller...He's better than you think... Just needs consistent playing time to produce in a positve way...But I imagine Boston will let him go... Hope he catches on with a team that will let him play some good minutes...

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think Zeller and Sully are gone. I think someone overpays Sullinger too.

Moving on from Sully would be a good thing.   I think we are going for a big in free agency.   One that plays on both ends and can stay in shape.  This is a guy who ate himself out of contention and got out of shape during the season while playing the last two seasons.  Time to cut the cord on doughboy!

At this stage I'd find it very hard for someone to overpay Sullinger. Well, not necessarily overpay, since in this market it definitely will, but just don't see a team investing a chunk of their cap % on him.

What the means for the Celtics I don't know, but at this moment in time he's definitely not a priority. His performance against Atlanta didn't do him any favors, despite knowning that it wasn't a match-up that was favorable to him. But fact is that other than his strong start and his strong February, it was more of the same we've seen from him, and his conditioning worsening once again as the season went on didn't do him any favors.

Tyler Zeller, just don't know. Teams are always looking to spend serious $$ on 7 foot players during free-agency. I do think that despite Sullinger being in front of him in the depth chart, the Celtics will try to retain Zeller at small money from the get go with an early deal. If that doesn't happen, I don't see him being a priority either for us.

As I've said previously though, strategic wise (based on this season's optimization alone) the best thing the Celtics can do is get a commitment from either of them or both early in the process but not sign them. But I haven't done the math this year yet to see how much, if anything, their cap hold (which should be low) will affect our potential free-agent targets. And of course, roster space considerations.

In all I'm indifferent at the moment until I really see what the actual alternatives are to fill the roster space.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Doesn't really help at all to separate D-leaguers - they're going to be sent back & forth multiple times and still count toward the NBA roster limit of 15.

What Max Free Agents do you see us pulling in as a starting frontcourt?

We can only dress 12 players for any given game, so barring injury the D leaguers wont even dress.

I really like Al Horford at Power forward and Hassan Whiteside at Center.  I would max out both of them.   If we could get them both we would have the following roster.

PG: Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier
SG: Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, R.J. Hunter
SF: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown
PF: Al Horford, Guerschon Yabusele
C:  Hassan Whiteside, Kelly Olynyk, Ante Zizic

D-league, aka DNP coaches decision:  Demetrius Jackson, Ben Bentil, Jordan Mickey

It's actually a max of 13 active players and 2 inactive. Anyone sent to the d-league counts as inactive.

My point is that guys don't get stashed in the d-league for the year - they are moved up and down, and continue to count toward the roster total of 15. So for the purpose of looking at the breakdown of guys on the roster by position, it's not helpful to list someone as d-league.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
What has me concerned is the shear number of rookies and one year players we have to evaluate, and how it will effect how certain young players alter their game to simply be noticed.

Sometimes to much competition is disruptive and confusing. Players that need a simple tweak here and there, begin to play outside themselves.

However, I do like the sound of this:

PG: Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier
PF: Al Horford, Guerschon Yabusele
C:  Hassan Whiteside, Kelly Olynyk, Ante Zizic

This team allows us to play small and big.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm not completely sold Amir will be back.  We have a team option and his contract expires after next year but 11 mil is a pretty good chunk of change that could be spent elsewhere.  Amir is a decent all around center but that's really all he is. He is decent on offense and defense and plays within the team.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think Amir and Jonas contracts will be decided upon last. If we strike out on trades and FA, they will be back. If we get a max player or two they wont.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
That's the thing I don't see the celtics just spending for the sake of it either unless they can do something that really fits.  I think they'd like to honor their end of that contract if necessary though.  They have decisions to make on Sully too like you said.    Zeller as well.  I don't see why Zeller is back right now.  I think Amir is the better option there but they might debate that.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:14:53 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I say we don't get Durant in FA but the fall back would be to go hard for Ryan Anderson. Al Horford signs with us as well. That's our two max deals.

Isaiah Thomas PG
Avery Bradley SG
Ryan Anderson SF
Jae Crowder/Jaylen Brown PF
Al Horford C

Bench

Smart
Olynyk
Hunter
Young
Rozier (thinking he gets playing time behind IT
Mickey

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:15:06 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
KO is pretty much locked as a backup right now.  We might have Bentil and Mickey battle it out for the other spot depending on what we do with Yab as well.  The other ends up in the d-league.  Jerebko is there as well.  Yab may be a stash.  Sully and Amir are our starters right now. Zizic should take Zellers spot or be a stash himself.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:23:25 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I am going to look at it assuming we bring 16 and 23 over now.  The NBA is better suited to hone their games then a Euro club, and they are physically ready now.  So I’m looking at 13 players we have, with two open roster spots and enough cash for 2 max free agents.  I am guessing we try and max out a center and a power forward.  If we do bring the Euros over now no way they go from Euro league to D league, for that we could have left them over seas.  So, it looks like the D league will be Ben Bentil, Demetrius Jackson, and either Jordan Mickey or R.J. Hunter.   My guess is that if Guerschon Yabusele is truly a Sully/Mickey hybrid chiseled out of stone, then it is anther trip to the D league for Mickey. 

PG: Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier,
PF: Max Free Agent, Guerschon Yabusele,
C:  Max Free Agent, Kelly Olynyk, Ante Zizic

D-League: Jordan Mickey, Demetrius Jackson, Ben Bentil

If this were baseball, we would easily have the deepest farm system. Assuming that the current tentative starting lineup is, say, Isaiah, Avery, Jae, Kelly, Amir: Smart, Rozier, Jackson, Brown, Young, Hunter, Yabusele, Zizic, Bentil. Only Jerebko is left. Not counting Turner or Sully. Kelly still counts as a prospect, kind of, still on his rookie deal. So that's ten prospects. Two thirds of our roster is prospects, lol.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 11:43:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
All full up on guards.

Super shallow on the wing.

Zero reliable, two way big men.

Without Turner, the team is missing a secondary creator, but Smart, Rozier, and Brown need Turner gone in order to develop.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Keep it simple: Either make a run for a championship with Durant or Howard, or control costs and reevaluate next summer.

Therefore, keep 1-3 set under all plans:

1: Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
2: Bradley, Smart, Hunter
3: Crowder, Brown

Plan A:

4: Durant, Jerebko, Mickey, Yabusele
5: Horford, Olynyk, Zizic

Plan B:

4: Love (or Anderson), Jerebko, Mickey, Yabusele
5: Howard, Olynyk, Zizic

If we cannot get into Championship-chase mode by signing Durant or Howard, go with a plan C where we control costs (take the option on Johnson and overpay Zeller for one year) and reload in free agency next summer (maybe try to add Durant and Griffin, and with luck draft Giles?):

Plan C:

4: Johnson, Jerebko, Mickey, Yabusele
5: Olynyk, Zeller, Zizic

Plan C requires great patience, of course, but it could prove to be most likely. We need to preach patience...

Almost certainly the case that Sullinger and Turner will depart. I also think Young is history unless we stash Jackson or Yabs. Bentil and Nader will probably be stashed or cut. Big deal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:13:49 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 11:57:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I say we don't get Durant in FA but the fall back would be to go hard for Ryan Anderson. Al Horford signs with us as well. That's our two max deals.

Isaiah Thomas PG
Avery Bradley SG
Ryan Anderson SF
Jae Crowder/Jaylen Brown PF
Al Horford C

Bench

Smart
Olynyk
Hunter
Young
Rozier (thinking he gets playing time behind IT
Mickey

1. Anderson is a 4/5 at this point, not a 3/4
2. Maxing Ryan Anderson would be a travesty
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 12:07:30 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
All the people who have Horford here,  I don't think it will happen unless Durant is here.  I think Horford goes elsewhere. 

Question.  Any of our free agents able to sign,  and us going over the cap?  Bird rights.

I think if we do max 2 free agents and some of our FA fit that category they will be brought back.