Author Topic: Trying to wrap my head around the Celtic's roster  (Read 3924 times)

Trying to wrap my head around the Celtic's roster
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »

Offline Dennis_D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Let's start with the guarenteed contracts for next year:
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier
SG: Avery Bradley, R.J. Hunter
SF: Jae Crowder, James Young
PF: Jordan Mickey
C: Kelly Olynyk

I'm going to assume that Young's contract will be eaten or he'll be traded to a team with the money to pay for his contract. The Celtics have options on three players - Amir Johnson ($12M), Jonas Jerebko ($5M) and John Holland (<$1M). I'm going to assume that the Celtics will pick up Jerebko's option, decline Holland's and think hard about Johnson's. The Celtics can make qualifying offers to Tyler Zeller ($3,695,169) and Jared Sullinger ($4,433,683). I'm going to assume neither gets offers. Evan Turner is an unrestricted free agent. That means the roster is at:
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey
?? - Amir Johnson, Evan Turner

Now, I'm going to add in the draft picks. Brown I'll put in at backup SF. There's been a lot of chatter about Guerschon Yabusele and Ante Zizic playing in Europe next season, but I'm not sure. There's no room for Demetrius Jackson at PG, but he's too good of a steal to let walk. I'll put Ben Bentil as a third string PF. I'm going to leave Abdel Nader off of the roster. That takes us to:
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson
SF: Jae Crowder, Jaylen Brown
PF: Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, Ben Bentil
?? - Amir Johnson, Evan Turner, Guerschon Yabusele, Ante Zizic

The Celtics seem well stocked for 1-3, but need help at PF and C. So I think they'll pick up the option on Johnson and let Turner walk. Zizic is of the size and age that it would be better to develop in Europe at least another year. Yabusele is less clear cut. If the Celtics sign a free agent big, then probably should play in Europe. If all he has to do to get playing time is to beat out Mickey and Bentil, bringing him over makes sense:
PG: Isaiah Thomas, Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson
PF: Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, Ben Bentil
C: Amir Johnson, Kelly Olynyk
?? - Guerschon Yabusele

That's 13 without Yabusele and 14 with. Looking at that roster, the Celtics need to one or preferably two free agent bigs.

Re: Trying to wrap my head around the Celtic's roster
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I am going to look at it assuming we bring 16 and 23 over now.  The NBA is better suited to hone their games then a Euro club, and they are physically ready now.  So I’m looking at 13 players we have, with two open roster spots and enough cash for 2 max free agents.  I am guessing we try and max out a center and a power forward.  If we do bring the Euros over now no way they go from Euro league to D league, for that we could have left them over seas.  So, it looks like the D league will be Ben Bentil, Demetrius Jackson, and either Jordan Mickey or R.J. Hunter.   My guess is that if Guerschon Yabusele is truly a Sully/Mickey hybrid chiseled out of stone, then it is anther trip to the D league for Mickey. 

PG: Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier,
SG: Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, R.J. Hunter
PF: Max Free Agent, Guerschon Yabusele,
C:  Max Free Agent, Kelly Olynyk, Ante Zizic

D-League: Jordan Mickey, Demetrius Jackson, Ben Bentil

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline redrobot

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Doesn't really help at all to separate D-leaguers - they're going to be sent back & forth multiple times and still count toward the NBA roster limit of 15.

What Max Free Agents do you see us pulling in as a starting frontcourt?

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think you gotta start with who is on it now, remove the Free Agents, and include Brown.

Guards:  IT, Bradley, Smart, Rozier, Hunter
Wings:  Crowder, Young, Brown
Bigs: Olynyk, Mickey

Then you gotta fill in needs with who else we have under contract or an option to have under contract.

Bigs: Olynyk, Mickey, JJ

That's 11 people.  4 spots left.  I think you add Amir back in so that's only 3 spots.  I am going to assume Sullinger and Zeller are gone.  The big question is Turner.

I think Turner stays honestly, if he will resign for $8M per or less.  So we get 2 spots for 2 FAs or we can bring the Euros over.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think you gotta start with who is on it now, remove the Free Agents, and include Brown.

Bigs: Olynyk, Mickey

Then you gotta fill in needs with who else we have under contract or an option to have under contract.

Bigs: Olynyk, Mickey, JJ

That's 11 people.  4 spots left.  I think you add Amir back in so that's only 3 spots.  I am going to assume Sullinger and Zeller are gone.  The big question is Turner.

I think Turner stays honestly, if he will resign for $8M per or less.  So we get 2 spots for 2 FAs or we can bring the Euros over.
Yeah, this sounds about right.  Except, it ignores the second round of course.  So some combination of second rounders and euros is what we are probably left with (unless a FA falls in our lap).

And I appreciate the thread because I too was wondering.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 02:33:25 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
Doesn't really help at all to separate D-leaguers - they're going to be sent back & forth multiple times and still count toward the NBA roster limit of 15.

We can only dress 12 players for any given game, so barring injury the D leaguers wont even dress.

I really like Al Horford at Power forward and Hassan Whiteside at Center.  I would max out both of them.   If we could get them both we would have the following roster.

PG: Isaiah Thomas, Terry Rozier
PF: Al Horford, Guerschon Yabusele
C:  Hassan Whiteside, Kelly Olynyk, Ante Zizic

D-league, aka DNP coaches decision:  Demetrius Jackson, Ben Bentil, Jordan Mickey

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 02:52:20 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

We can only dress 12 players for any given game, so barring injury the D leaguers wont even dress.

I really like Al Horford at Power forward and Hassan Whiteside at Center.  I would max out both of them.   If we could get them both we would have the following roster.

D-league, aka DNP coaches decision:  Demetrius Jackson, Ben Bentil, Jordan Mickey

Danny Mentioned Mickey  exclusively as a guy who could have played last year but there wasn't space on a team making a playoff push.. and mentioned him specifically as a guy who will definitely reap the rewards from the openings left  by those vets not being here..
I think its going to be really tough for them not to give him a good look especially early in the year..  The Kid can play..
Either Yab or Zizic will  pay their dues in the D league.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tp Old School Dude.

I would be so happy with those two signings. Cap space be dammed. Why would Durant comes here anyway.

Avd if he did. We Dump, Amir, Crowder and Bradley if need be to make room for KD.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 03:07:55 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Evan Turner was huge for us last season. I don't think we would've won 48 games without him. I think he'll be back.

I hope Sullinger is gone.  I haven't given up on James Young but I think its time we give someone else his roster spot. 50/50 on Amir Johnson. 50/50 on whether to keep or stash the Euro Bigs. Unsure on Bentil. Nader definitely won't make the team.

Pg: Isaiah Thomas/ Terry Rozier/ Demetrius Jackson
Sg: Avery Bradley/ Marcus Smart/ RJ Hunter
Sf: Jae Crowder/ Evan Turner/ Jaylen Brown

We are absolutely all set at these positions
Our frontcourt is where things get difficult:

Guaranteed:
Kelly Olynyk

Team options:
Jonas Jerebko
Amir Johnson

Free agents:
Tyler Zeller
Jared Sullinger

Draftees:
Ante Zizic
Gurschon Yabusele
Ben Bentil

Its clear that this can't be our best talent in the frontcourt if we want to be more competitive.  There isn't one guy that is a real center. The only 7 footers are Kelly and Tyler Zeller and both of their wingspans are in the 6'11" range. Zizic is the closest thing to a center and i doubt he'll be able to play big minutes right away if he even stays. We need some help up front. I like Mickey and Jerebko and I hate Olynyk but he's guaranteed contract.

So with Olynyk, Jerebko, Mickey this leaves us with 3 roster spots to be filled with free agent bigs. Not sure if there are any decent ones available that wouldn't cost us a max contract.  Maybe trade Amir Johnsons expiring and the rights to Bentil and for the hell of it James Young if the Bucks really want to get rid of Monroe. Maybe sign Ryan Anderson to balance the floor and the squad is looking pretty decent.

Isaiah Thomas/ Terry Rozier/ Demetrius Jackson
Avery Bradley/ Marcus Smart/ RJ Hunter
Jae Crowder/ Evan Turner/ Jaylen Brown
Ryan Anderson/ Jordan Mickey/ Jonas Jerebko
Greg Monroe/ Kelly Olynyk/ Tyler Zeller

We would be pretty awful defensively because of our bigs and lack of rim protection but i think we'd be better overall.

Stash: Zizic and Yabusele

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 03:26:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wouldn't be shocked to see Sully back on a one year deal or something

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 03:47:03 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Danny said up to 4 players could be playing in other leagues this year.

So I see it as

IT/Rozier/     Jackson(dleague)
AB/Smart/    Hunter(reserve)
Crowder/Brown/  Young(dleague)
AJ/Mickey/   Bentil (reserve)
KO/"FA"/Zizic

Yab and Nader overseas. JJ traded. Target Pau or Stat in FA.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 04:25:17 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
I thought I saw that before the draft Ante Zizic said he didn’t want to be a stash.   Someone posted in a different thread that Guerschon Yabusele agreed to be a stash if Boston drafted him in the second round, but then he went #16.  So far no definitive word on stashing either player, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see them both playing this year and I wouldn’t be shocked to see them both stashed.  It may end up being based off of a combination of their summer league play, the free agents we sign, and any trade we make, but in the end I’m guessing they both play right away.  If only one of them stays it will most likely be Zizic.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:20 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I think Zeller and Sully are gone. I think someone overpays Sullinger too.
- LilRip

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 05:29:05 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
C's need to go small.

Just Move Crowder to the 4 and put Brown at the 3.

Trade away Smart or Rozier or hell both.

Do not re-sign Turner.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:53:44 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Everything will be determined by how it affects 2017-2018 cap space. 

I believe #31 and #35 picks were traded to avoid having those players wanting 1st round money deals like Mickey got last year.  Those would have marginally affected cap space in 17-18.

Bentil and/or Jackson likely sign near league minimum deals.  Nader was just a throw away pick probably and will likely be of no consequence.

Yabusele and Zizic I think the hope is to send them overseas for a year and brought back in 17-18 so that they don't affect cap space.  Brown of course will be here.

Young it will be interesting to see if his option for 17-18 is picked up.  I would lean towards not at this point but could be picked up and later dumped on another team.  All other team options for 17-18 should be picked up Smart/Rozier/Hunter/Mickey.

Turner/Sully/Zeller should not be brought back under any circumstance unless it is a 1+1 year deal with a 2nd year team option.

Amir/Jerebko team options are very likely picked up for this year.

Olynyk is the only 1 eligible for extension this summer and it would be crazy to extend him under most all circumstances.  It is possible though that they could extend him and then showcase him next season with the intention of trading him for assets before the trade deadline without taking salary back.  This would clear a couple million in cap and quite possibly gain other assets if he performed well.  There should be a lot of teams with quality cap space during the 16-17 season.

Thomas/Smart/Bradley/Crowder are interesting in that they are all under contract through 17-18 and there are instances, although unlikely, where you could see a mid season trade for expiring salaries or traded into open cap space for assets to clear even more cap space for next summer.  With the exploding cap creating massive cap space for most teams both this year and next year, it is theoretically possible to go into next off season owing next to nothing as far as future salary commitments with a massive pile of assets to build with.

Max free agents or any free agents for that matter are a risk to your assets and cap space for 17-18 unless they are also on 1+1 year deals with a team option 2nd year.  It is possible to sign a free agent to a large contract this year but it must be a reasonable deal on a player that can easily be dumped into another teams open cap space (If need be) following 16-17 season without taking back salary but maybe gaining assets in the process.  There should be plenty of open cap space on other teams to do so.  The risk is that player getting hurt or performing horribly and it costing the C's mightily to dump him or them.  I would expect something like a large overpay to someone like Motiejunas or Mozgov on a 1+1 deal.

Guards: Thomas/Smart/Bradley/Rozier/Hunter/Jackson
Wings:  Crowder/Brown/maybe Young or free agent
Bigs:  Johnson/Olynyk/Jerebko/Bentil +some combination of Sully on 1+1/free agent/free agent
Overseas:  Yabusele/Zizic unless they won't go.

All of this of course goes right out the window with a major trade this summer or a major free agent signing like Durant.  Without a doubt going to be the weirdest/toughest year ever as far as what strategy the C's choose to employ.  Just so many options and choices to be made.  Would hate to see the C's blow all this cap on a very weak bunch of free agents this summer and struggle to clear it for a great free agent market next year.  The C's need another year of development anyway.

Best option is to preserve cap in every way possible for summer 2017 and develop as much as possible this year.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:02:44 AM by The Oracle »