Author Topic: Who here saw Jaylen Brown play actual games?  (Read 2482 times)

Re: Who here saw Jaylen Brown play actual games?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 06:31:24 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Caught a few of his games this year mostly because I wanted to see Rabb and it's fun listening to Bill Walton spout nonsense for 2 hours.

At the time I didn't like him because I was on the Bender bus and he gave me plenty of Ammo to continue hating on him. "Just another athlete who plays basketball with no understanding of the game" I thought from my recliner.

I watched him miss jumpers, fail to finish at the rim, and in general seemingly play down to his competition. Cal was stacked, they shouldn't have lost as much as they did.

But then there were the "Wow!" plays. The plays that 95% of prospects cant make, be it the crossovers, thunder dunks, or athletic blocks. Suddenly my take on him was switching too "Definitely don't want the Celtics to take him but it's possible he could make some team very happy."

Then the NCAA season ended and the real research began. I, like many, heard about what an interesting human being he is but Mike Schmidt of Draftexpress doused my hype a bit saying that he will have to convince a team that he lives basketball. Hearing about his brain though was enough to finally moved into my "If DA likes him I've got no problems with taking him" tier and that's where he remains to this day.

Work hard Jaylen Brown, you've got a chance at greatness. I'm rooting for ya young man.

I think you about summed up what I saw. I was disappointed in what I saw out of him. He would make a highlight play but was invisible the majority of the time. He seemed to fade back at times because his shot was so poor. The projections of great athlete but lacking in bball IQ seem to fit. He'll be a fine player but if anyone has expectations on the guy being an All-star are setting themselves up. I'd look at him as another Justise Winslow type.

By no means am I expecting him to be an all star, but I won't count it out either. Maybe this team's strong culture will be what spark's that competitive edge in him.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:34:55 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I've never seen a Celtic so undeservedly overhyped since Marcus smart. They were calling him the heir to rondo before rondo was even gone. I almost think smart not living up to the hype takes pressure OFF of Brown. It's the opposite now. The masses this time are down on the pick. Not his fault he was taken if he's not worthy of the spot just like it wasn't smart's fault the media pumped him up to be something g he wasn't.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I've never seen a Celtic so undeservedly overhyped since Marcus smart. They were calling him the heir to rondo before rondo was even gone. I almost think smart not living up to the hype takes pressure OFF of Brown. It's the opposite now. The masses this time are down on the pick. Not his fault he was taken if he's not worthy of the spot just like it wasn't smart's fault the media pumped him up to be something g he wasn't.

I agree. That being said, if Brown doesn't pan out to be a perennial All-Star and guys like Jimmy Butler, Okafor and Noel all continue to progress, Ainge will take a ton of heat from the fan base (and potentially the media) for the Brown pick. If Ainge is taking heat for it, there's no doubt Brown will feel a lot of that pressure himself.

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I agree. That being said, if Brown doesn't pan out to be a perennial All-Star and guys like Jimmy Butler, Okafor and Noel all continue to progress, Ainge will take a ton of heat from the fan base (and potentially the media) for the Brown pick. If Ainge is taking heat for it, there's no doubt Brown will feel a lot of that pressure himself.
I'm not going to compare Brown against Okafor because I'm betting this was misreported (as DA suggested).  It wasn't as people thought.

Easy enough just to compare him against those that were drafted immediately after him.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I did. I thought he had a lot of potential, and also a LONG way to go.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I did.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 10:35:13 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
I saw him 4 or 5 times.  Before the season started I knew we would have a high lottery pick from the Nets (everyone on the planet knew, except for one poster on CB). Brown was highly regarded and we need an elite wing, so I was excited that he might be that guy.

He was bad in every single game I saw. His best game was not so-so, his best game that I saw was bad. Head down, out of control drives that ended in turnovers or misses in the paint over and over. When I had not seen him I started out really hopeful that he might be the guy we need. Instead, he ended up being one of two guys who I absolutely didn't want at 3.

Now that he is a Celtic, I'll gradually start the mental gymnastics required to be optimistic about him, and by the time the season starts I'll be convinced that he does have star potential. That's what I do with picks I don't like. It's what I did with Fab, Giddens, Rozier, etc all the way back to Acie Earl.

I hope I'm wrong about Brown, just like I hope I'm wrong about Rozier.  I'll keep reminding myself about Eric Williams, who I was unfairly pessimistic about.  Fingers crossed...

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 02:24:50 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I saw him 4 or 5 times.  Before the season started I knew we would have a high lottery pick from the Nets (everyone on the planet knew, except for one poster on CB). Brown was highly regarded and we need an elite wing, so I was excited that he might be that guy.

He was bad in every single game I saw. His best game was not so-so, his best game that I saw was bad. Head down, out of control drives that ended in turnovers or misses in the paint over and over. When I had not seen him I started out really hopeful that he might be the guy we need. Instead, he ended up being one of two guys who I absolutely didn't want at 3.

Now that he is a Celtic, I'll gradually start the mental gymnastics required to be optimistic about him, and by the time the season starts I'll be convinced that he does have star potential. That's what I do with picks I don't like. It's what I did with Fab, Giddens, Rozier, etc all the way back to Acie Earl.

I hope I'm wrong about Brown, just like I hope I'm wrong about Rozier.  I'll keep reminding myself about Eric Williams, who I was unfairly pessimistic about.  Fingers crossed...

Ahaha, awesome (sarcasm) ::) ;D. Imagine him and Smart on the court at the same time - oh lawd ;D. TP for the info, btw.  Were the games in the beginning of the year or during the latter half of the season when I guess he shot better?  I don't know ;D.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 03:17:20 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'm hoping/thinking Brown's game is better suited for the NBA. Some guys this is the case. I remember Westbrook when he was drafted and didn't think much of that picks. Lavine's another one who didn't play much at UCLA and ends up having a game better suited for the NBA.

Lavine is awful. Puts up scoring numbers but makes his team way worse.

As for Brown, I don't think Cal's spacing helped him much, but it's not like the Celtics are going to provide him with a ton of spacing either.

And he was such a turnover machine against any kind of quality D - I highly doubt he is trusted to create on a win-now team. I expect he will get the Marcus Smart treatment - play D, shoot 3s and get garbage points in transition, off boards and maybe an occasional post touch.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 04:11:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Your correct except for the occasional post touch.
 He's the best guy we have other than Thomas at getting to the rim. The guy is a human snake and slithers into the lane with ease.

The fact that he's big, powerful, and explosive gives him the edge. Stevens will call his # plenty of times.