Author Topic: Who here saw Jaylen Brown play actual games?  (Read 2492 times)

Who here saw Jaylen Brown play actual games?
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
And I mean, entire games?  I saw more than half his games in their entirety and I can tell you, he definitely has the skill set.  Very good athlete, gets by defenders with very simple moves, can finish with either hand and off either foot, and fearless.

Does he have a great feel for the game?  I'm not sure about that so we shall see.  But as I have said many times, even before he was drafted, he may be the a guy that actually plays better in the NBA due to better spacing.  He will be able to break his man down from Day 1.  He will be able to score. 

Indeed, while sacrilegious in these parts, I don't think the Paul Pierce comparisons are not far off.  Pretty similar, with PP being a better shooter and Brown a better athlete.  And if you believe the reports, Brown absolutely tore it up in workouts.  And not just the underwear Olympics, but facing up against live competition and putting in work.

Re: Who here saw Jaylen Brown play actual games?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I watched a bunch of full games, probably 3-4. The one I remember best was against Arizona, when he had that monster chase down block; that stood out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:54:53 PM by max215 »
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:47:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Indeed, while sacrilegious in these parts, I don't think the Paul Pierce comparisons are not far off.  Pretty similar, with PP being a better shooter and Brown a better athlete.
Paul Pierce was a pretty crappy shooter in his freshman year. Ended up shooting 30% from three.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I watched 4 games. I'm a Louisville ACC guy so don't watch many games outside conference play.

I like the pick. I wasn't impressed with Ingram at Duke. The comparisons of Ingram to Durant remind me of Bargnani Dirk comparisons.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The other thing is, Cal had bad spacing and pace even for a college team. They didn't have any great floor spacers to open up lanes, and at this stage, browns best situations are in the open floor (arguably.) This means it would behoove him to have a team that likes to get up and down.

According to the draft express video, this wasn't the case. Off the top of my head cal was 170th in pace. That is awful. He should be able to get up and down in brads offense a little better.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:18 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I saw about four, actual games, because I've been talking him up on this board and wanted to see him in action.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:27:24 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I watched about 4 games and never noticed him.  I suppose they could have been "off" games but I watched about the same number of games of Dunn, Simmons, Murray, Hield and Ingram and noticed them A LOT.  Rabb seemed like a better prospect.  I hate the pick, and he better become a bigger star than Dunn or Butler or Ainge is an idiot.  Bender even looked more like a player to the eye test.  Brown was my least favorite choice possible at 3.  He seems like an intelligent athlete who won over Ainge with workouts, which to me has little to do with basketball.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:18 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Caught a few of his games this year mostly because I wanted to see Rabb and it's fun listening to Bill Walton spout nonsense for 2 hours.

At the time I didn't like him because I was on the Bender bus and he gave me plenty of Ammo to continue hating on him. "Just another athlete who plays basketball with no understanding of the game" I thought from my recliner.

I watched him miss jumpers, fail to finish at the rim, and in general seemingly play down to his competition. Cal was stacked, they shouldn't have lost as much as they did.

But then there were the "Wow!" plays. The plays that 95% of prospects cant make, be it the crossovers, thunder dunks, or athletic blocks. Suddenly my take on him was switching too "Definitely don't want the Celtics to take him but it's possible he could make some team very happy."

Then the NCAA season ended and the real research began. I, like many, heard about what an interesting human being he is but Mike Schmidt of Draftexpress doused my hype a bit saying that he will have to convince a team that he lives basketball. Hearing about his brain though was enough to finally moved into my "If DA likes him I've got no problems with taking him" tier and that's where he remains to this day.

Work hard Jaylen Brown, you've got a chance at greatness. I'm rooting for ya young man.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:15 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Caught a few of his games this year mostly because I wanted to see Rabb and it's fun listening to Bill Walton spout nonsense for 2 hours.

At the time I didn't like him because I was on the Bender bus and he gave me plenty of Ammo to continue hating on him. "Just another athlete who plays basketball with no understanding of the game" I thought from my recliner.

I watched him miss jumpers, fail to finish at the rim, and in general seemingly play down to his competition. Cal was stacked, they shouldn't have lost as much as they did.

But then there were the "Wow!" plays. The plays that 95% of prospects cant make, be it the crossovers, thunder dunks, or athletic blocks. Suddenly my take on him was switching too "Definitely don't want the Celtics to take him but it's possible he could make some team very happy."

Then the NCAA season ended and the real research began. I, like many, heard about what an interesting human being he is but Mike Schmidt of Draftexpress doused my hype a bit saying that he will have to convince a team that he lives basketball. Hearing about his brain though was enough to finally moved into my "If DA likes him I've got no problems with taking him" tier and that's where he remains to this day.

Work hard Jaylen Brown, you've got a chance at greatness. I'm rooting for ya young man.
Tell me about it.  Did you hear the one where he called Jaylen a comet scorching through the sky (or something like that)?

Dude cracks me up.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

I think you about summed up what I saw. I was disappointed in what I saw out of him. He would make a highlight play but was invisible the majority of the time. He seemed to fade back at times because his shot was so poor. The projections of great athlete but lacking in bball IQ seem to fit. He'll be a fine player but if anyone has expectations on the guy being an All-star are setting themselves up. I'd look at him as another Justise Winslow type.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:06 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'm hoping/thinking Brown's game is better suited for the NBA. Some guys this is the case. I remember Westbrook when he was drafted and didn't think much of that picks. Lavine's another one who didn't play much at UCLA and ends up having a game better suited for the NBA.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Tell me about it.  Did you hear the one where he called Jaylen a comet scorching through the sky (or something like that)?

Dude cracks me up.

Think I might have actually caught that, hilarious! Not that I'd want him to be the Celtics Commentator but I'll be [dang]ed if the man doesn't put me in a great mood every time with those calls. 

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
This pick - and this draft as a whole - could end up being a home run, or a case of striking out swinging. If Brown's the next Paul Pierce, then Ainge crushed it out of the park. But I think it's fair to say that if he doesn't become a consistent All-Star, then Ainge dropped the ball on this one given the trade proposals that we turned down. This isn't Brown's fault at all, but he may have more pressure in terms of expectations heaped on him by the fan base than any C's rookie in my memory.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77

Dude cracks me up.

Think I might have actually caught that, hilarious! Not that I'd want him to be the Celtics Commentator but I'll be [dang]ed if the man doesn't put me in a great mood every time with those calls.

Have you guys heard Frank Caliendo's impression of Walton? Hysterical - check it out if you haven't already.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Not me. So I can't really have much of a valid opinion on the dude.