Author Topic: We are going to love Jaylen Brown  (Read 9818 times)

Re: We are going to love Jaylen Brown
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:42 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm sold on this kid.  He's not who I wanted, but now that he's a Celtic, I completely embrace him.

His athleticism and his physique at nineteen are off the charts.  I also think his drive to be a star is elite level.  He seems ready to go to work.  It's exciting.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I like the Jaylen Brown pick
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 12:49:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
IT, Smart, Brown, Crowder, and Amir.
I look forward to it.

On offense?

Defense creates transition offense.

Woo ::). What does he offer in the halfcourt?

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2016, 12:53:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Next Vince Carter.  Kid's a future stah!

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Next Vince Carter.  Kid's a future stah!

Carter could shoot, tho ;D.

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 12:59:57 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
This is hilarious -

http://www.csnne.com/video/simmons-jaylen-brown-pick-why-not-just-trade-down
I don't really buy we could trade down.  Going into the draft everyone kept saying that the guys from 3-8 were basically interchangeable.  There was no consensus on who would be the top pick there.  I get that people think Dunn was the most desirable, but the Suns passed on him as well.  Maybe we ringed up 'Sota and tried to trade down and they called our bluff knowing we weren't going to select a 7th guard.   Ainge got the guy he wanted.  It's fine.

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 01:37:03 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
IT, Smart, Brown, Crowder, and Amir.
I look forward to it.

On offense?

Defense creates transition offense.

Woo ::). What does he offer in the halfcourt?

Defense and offensive rebounding.
And he reportedly made 76 out of 100 threes.

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
https://youtu.be/h3qnvrAwIL8

I feel like he's a much, much better dribbler and passer than he got a chance to show in college. Interesting that he says his role model is Tracy McGrady. (Isiah Thomas is funny. Interesting tidbit about forcing Larry to shoot into the lights.) I'm growing into the idea of Brown being a legit star one day. I now feel like his floor is very high, I would be shocked if he were just an average player. I'm even sensing a little bitty slice of the probability pie chart opening up for "perennial MVP candidate", he's got pretty much all the ingredients for it.

Interesting, though, that he sees his purpose in life as helping people, that 10 championships would be, uh, nice. I'd prefer a rings-first world-be-free-second mentality from a franchise player. And along with that best case slice, there's also a tiny probability that he could wind up, say, taking a too-radical political stance that alienates the city from him and vice versa and forces a trade to New York or wherever, a tweet too pro-Panther or too anti-America, or maybe something unexpected like an endorsement of some Five Percenter philosophy, whatever. But I hope he has a healthy, intellectually fiesty but respectful, humanitarian ball here. As he leads us to 10 championships. I hope he winds up loving this city and establishing it for a new generation as the premier place to play for intelligent, conscious athletes. But it could go the other, uglier way, too. There's bound to be controversy at some point and, when that time comes, the smart subset of Celtics fans (of every political persuasion) should make sure to own the conversation (online, in written form, screw the radio) and own the identity of Celtic fandom instead of the subset of idiots (media included, especially) who unfortunately yap the loudest and stupidest.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
https://youtu.be/m15dgNCFpR0

Look at that passing. From three years ago. He was projected as a guard back then, I guess?

It'd be great if he turned out to be Jimmy Butler 2.0 and we didn't have to give up even a future second rounder to get him.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2016, 04:47:05 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Look at that passing. From three years ago. He was projected as a guard back then, I guess?

It'd be great if he turned out to be Jimmy Butler 2.0 and we didn't have to give up even a future second rounder to get him.

I love the optimism. I'm with you on this kid, but the analysts and people on this board are bringing me down. I had huge hopes for him and still do. Unless he lied about his work ethic, I can't imagine him not being good.

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't doubt that he will win over fans.

My worry is only that it'll be like the love for Smart, where we are talking ourselves into his value despite the fact he's shooting below 40% overall and joining Marcus on the bricklaying crew.

I also worry that the team will resign Turner and Brown won't have a significant on ball role for a while longer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2016, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Just keep in mind that Jimmy Butler averaged 5.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 0.7 assists and 0.5 steals when he was Jaylen Brown's age.

Then Butler spent two more seasons in College.

Then Butler Averaged 2.6 points, 1.3 rebounds, 0.3 assists, 0.3 steals with 40% shooting and 18% from three as a rookie. 

Then Butler got a little better his second year.

Then Butler got a little better his third year.

Then Butler had a break-out season in year 4, before taking a step backwards last season.

So the point is, don't get disappointed if Jaylen Brown isn't Jimmy Butler immediately.  He's 19 years old.  He's got 6 years until he's the age Butler was at when he took a leap.

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2016, 05:04:11 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I don't doubt that he will win over fans.

My worry is only that it'll be like the love for Smart, where we are talking ourselves into his value despite the fact he's shooting below 40% overall and joining Marcus on the bricklaying crew.

I also worry that the team will resign Turner and Brown won't have a significant on ball role for a while longer.

Smart has become such a disappointment if you take the emotions out of it and evaluate his performance thus far. People still argue over the Randle vs. Smart debate. However, Saric is another guy we may look at in the future and say, wow we missed on him for Smart.

As of now though, it looks like that was a weak draft. For this draft, there are a few good players drafted after Brown, so if he ends up like Smart, there will be a lot more criticism flying around cause I think players like Dunn and Murray can be good.

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2016, 11:54:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
This is hilarious -

http://www.csnne.com/video/simmons-jaylen-brown-pick-why-not-just-trade-down
I don't really buy we could trade down.  Going into the draft everyone kept saying that the guys from 3-8 were basically interchangeable.  There was no consensus on who would be the top pick there.  I get that people think Dunn was the most desirable, but the Suns passed on him as well.  Maybe we ringed up 'Sota and tried to trade down and they called our bluff knowing we weren't going to select a 7th guard.   Ainge got the guy he wanted.  It's fine.

It's not the part about trading down that made me laugh, it's Bill's description of who Brown is as a player that is frighteningly hilarious, imo.

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Check this Jaylen brown highlight clip. 2015 mcdonalds game

https://youtu.be/lDsgCXudsJw