Author Topic: We are going to love Jaylen Brown  (Read 9857 times)

Re: We are going to love Jaylen Brown
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I've been saying all summer I don't follow College ball.  The level of competition is weak.  Systems, surrounding talent and varied competition levels between conferences seems to skew stats significantly. 

The one thing I kept saying is that I occasionally look at College stats (knowing they lack a ton of context) and don't really trust stats from Seniors.  I get the gut reaction is to freak out, because Jaylen Brown only averaged 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.8 steals with 43%/29%/65% shooting in 27.6mpg.   Some people wanted Buddy Hield or Kris Dunn, for instance.  But consider Dunn's Freshman stats:  6.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 39%/28%/69% shooting.   Consider Hield's Freshman stats:  7.8 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 38%/24%/83% shooting.

Who knows how great Jaylen Brown might be 3 years from now when he's their age.   

Still reading about him, but I'm liking a ton of it.

Only 19 years old.  NBA-ready body.  Legit size (6'7 220) for a SG/SF.  Very strong. Great athlete.  Hard worker.  Very intelligent.   He went toe-to-toe with Jimmy Butler 1 on 1, beat Butler some of the games, and Butler came away impressed.   His shot is also apparently improved from when he last played.  This makes sense, because as I've been saying all summer, players make their greatest improvements before the age of 24.

It's going to take like half a Summer-league game and people will be comparing him to various hall of famers.  But you know, this time it will be semi warranted, because he's the highest draft pick we've had in 20 years.     It took me like 12 hours, but I've sold myself.  I'm excited for the Jaylen Brown era.

I was at the draft party and I was one of maybe 10 people where excited about the pick.  He is exactly who you take.  And I fully admit that the players taken after him might wind up having better careers.

But he has the best chance, in my view, of being a Kawhi Leonard-type star.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Ever the contrarian larbrd   ;D

nice post, tp for the optimism.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Have there been ANY positive tweets from any of the current Celtics in regards to these picks? I saw plenty of other teams tweeting support for their new players. Haven't heard of one for the new Celts. I am not on Twitter so I don't know - I am just asking.

Isaiah tweeted about Ulis and Felder getting drafted, but I don't think anyone said anything about our picks. Honestly, none of our main guys are all that active on Twitter in general.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Well I said before the draft that I really didn't care who we took, because I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on any of these amateurs.  It's probably the most ignorant thing NBA fans do.  Every year there's some video of fans boo'ing a draft pick they don't understand.  Ainge in an article today was quoted saying that it's about familiarity and that's entirely true.   THe legion of basketball fans who watch College basketball games know which guys put up big stats on that level and assume they will be big on the NBA level, but it doesn't really work like that. 

The only thing I would have been nervous about is if we took a Senior, because the stats don't usually translate well. 

I knew whoever we took would be the guy AInge and his team thought had the best chance to be a star... so I'm totally on board with this Jaylen Brown pick.  I'm looking forward to watching the young guy develop.  I'm pumped he's over 6'4.   Dude was the #3 pick.  Let's dream big.  I'm totally fine with dreaming of him as a level-headed James Harden or something.

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Well I said before the draft that I really didn't care who we took, because I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on any of these amateurs.  It's probably the most ignorant thing NBA fans do.  Every year there's some video of fans boo'ing a draft pick they don't understand.  Ainge in an article today was quoted saying that it's about familiarity and that's entirely true.   THe legion of basketball fans who watch College basketball games know which guys put up big stats on that level and assume they will be big on the NBA level, but it doesn't really work like that. 

The only thing I would have been nervous about is if we took a Senior, because the stats don't usually translate well. 

I knew whoever we took would be the guy AInge and his team thought had the best chance to be a star... so I'm totally on board with this Jaylen Brown pick.  I'm looking forward to watching the young guy develop.  I'm pumped he's over 6'4.   Dude was the #3 pick.  Let's dream big.  I'm totally fine with dreaming of him as a level-headed James Harden or something.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I love it.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I really like Jaylen as a person. Love his interviews. Love that he's a real student athlete who cared about his studies at Cal. Have questions about him as a basketball player, but I will be rooting for him every game.

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The next PP baby !!!😂

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I've been saying all summer I don't follow College ball. 

So then perhaps you shouldn't take a dump on guys whom you've never seen play?  Lol.  That aside, I'm not sure that you're going to love Jaylen Brown, man.  You understandably don't like Marcus Smart, and neither do I, and while I haven't seen a ton of him, myself, Brown looks like a taller, bigger, more athletic version of Marcus Smart, except for the fact that he lacks Smart's defensive, ball handling, passing, and maybe even decision making 'skills' ahahahaha ;D, but I'm probably wrong.

Personally, I cannot wait to see both Smart and Brown on the court at the same time (sarcasm), bahaha ;D. #shootingstars #brickhouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBx6mAWYPU

They're mightay mightay, just lettin' them all rim out ;) ;D.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:26:04 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 10:36:45 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
One thing to keep in mind...this is the guy Brad Stevens wanted. Sure it was a group decision, but, nobody is getting picked without coach's ok.

If you want a player with a freshman to sophomore "stat improvement"? Look down the bench to Brown's fellow rookie...Bentil couldn't hit a barn his first year at PC. This year? Better shooter than Dunn. 

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I know I'm going to like him. He has talent. He's athletic. He's intelligent. He's going to work his ass off. I'm confident he'll be an above average player. He'll impact both ends of the court. He'll probably be a great teammate. He might even get some ROY votes this year.

I just doubt we will love him. I know there's a decent chance we could, i.e., a somewhat decent chance he'll make an All Star team, truly be a go to scorer, a top 25 player, maybe better, who knows. I just expect he'll cap out as a 15-20 ppg solid wing. And we already have that. He'd have made a fantastic pick at 7 or 8. He'd be a steal. But who here thinks that if our pick had been 7 or 8 that we'd still have made the pick? Nah. We'd have Noel right now. And that guy is something we don't already have, and desperately need, and only needs to improve a little to have an All Star impact.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
And he gives the best interviews at such a young age. This kid is a winner through and through.
Yeah... watching this interview right now with him and Pistons Isiah Thomas:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

Makes me love Isiah just as much as Jaylen. Seems like the world's greatest hypeman/coach. He could talk me into engaging in a sex scandal with him.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:17:20 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 11:06:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It won't even take half a summer league game. He'll make a steal or block, followed by a ridiculous transition dunk, and he'll be the next LeBron/Westbrook/Wilkins. He'll be a fan favorite in no time, and maybe a star somewhere down the line.

Bingo.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 11:08:23 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
IT, Smart, Brown, Crowder, and Amir.
I look forward to it.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This is hilarious -

http://www.csnne.com/video/simmons-jaylen-brown-pick-why-not-just-trade-down
I don't think I can watch these vids in Greece but I read the title; IMO Simmons is trying to get media attention being another hurt Celtics fan- just one of us.

And he largely succeeds; many of his tweets have all the doom and gloom you'd expect from a Forums poster.