Author Topic: We are going to love Jaylen Brown  (Read 9869 times)

We are going to love Jaylen Brown
« on: June 24, 2016, 04:31:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I've been saying all summer I don't follow College ball.  The level of competition is weak.  Systems, surrounding talent and varied competition levels between conferences seems to skew stats significantly. 

The one thing I kept saying is that I occasionally look at College stats (knowing they lack a ton of context) and don't really trust stats from Seniors.  I get the gut reaction is to freak out, because Jaylen Brown only averaged 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.8 steals with 43%/29%/65% shooting in 27.6mpg.   Some people wanted Buddy Hield or Kris Dunn, for instance.  But consider Dunn's Freshman stats:  6.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 39%/28%/69% shooting.   Consider Hield's Freshman stats:  7.8 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 38%/24%/83% shooting.

Who knows how great Jaylen Brown might be 3 years from now when he's their age.   

Still reading about him, but I'm liking a ton of it.

Only 19 years old.  NBA-ready body.  Legit size (6'7 220) for a SG/SF.  Very strong. Great athlete.  Hard worker.  Very intelligent.   He went toe-to-toe with Jimmy Butler 1 on 1, beat Butler some of the games, and Butler came away impressed.   His shot is also apparently improved from when he last played.  This makes sense, because as I've been saying all summer, players make their greatest improvements before the age of 24.

It's going to take like half a Summer-league game and people will be comparing him to various hall of famers.  But you know, this time it will be semi warranted, because he's the highest draft pick we've had in 20 years.     It took me like 12 hours, but I've sold myself.  I'm excited for the Jaylen Brown era.

Re: We are going to love Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
And he gives the best interviews at such a young age. This kid is a winner through and through.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
I've been saying all summer I don't follow College ball.  The level of competition is weak.  Systems, surrounding talent and varied competition levels between conferences seems to skew stats significantly. 

The one thing I kept saying is that I occasionally look at College stats (knowing they lack a ton of context) and don't really trust stats from Seniors.  I get the gut reaction is to freak out, because Jaylen Brown only averaged 14.6 points, 5.4 rebounds, 2 assists, 0.8 steals with 43%/29%/65% shooting in 27.6mpg.   Some people wanted Buddy Hield or Kris Dunn, for instance.  But consider Dunn's Freshman stats:  6.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.2 steals with 39%/28%/69% shooting.   Consider Hield's Freshman stats:  7.8 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 38%/24%/83% shooting.

Only 19 years old.  NBA-ready body.  Legit size (6'7 220) for a SG/SF.  Very strong. Great athlete.  Hard worker.  Very intelligent.   He went toe-to-toe with Jimmy Butler 1 on 1, beat Butler some of the games, and Butler came away impressed.   His shot is also apparently improved from when he last played.  This makes sense, because as I've been saying all summer, players make their greatest improvements before the age of 24.

It's going to take like half a Summer-league game and people will be comparing him to various hall of famers.  But you know, this time it will be semi warranted, because he's the highest draft pick we've had in 20 years.     It took me like 12 hours, but I've sold myself.  I'm excited for the Jaylen Brown era.

Good post....in looking at all the picks we made this year they all seem to share the same trait of really wanting to be great....all mentally tough and willing to work....I think this is different from some of the other picks we've made in recent drafts. These guys are all more passionate. I like it.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
And he gives the best interviews at such a young age. This kid is a winner through and through.

So is this kid so I suppose we shoulda drafted him then. 

http://thespiritscience.net/2016/05/13/this-8-year-old-boy-describes-our-third-eye-brainwashing-tv-programs/

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Yeah... watching this interview right now with him and Pistons Isiah Thomas:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3qnvrAwIL8

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am a little wary of good interviews. Michael Olowokandi went #1 because he gave a good interview. But I'm rooting for the young man; law of averages says we're due for one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

Excellent post. I have similar sentiments. The more digging I do the more I am loving this pick.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
It won't even take half a summer league game. He'll make a steal or block, followed by a ridiculous transition dunk, and he'll be the next LeBron/Westbrook/Wilkins. He'll be a fan favorite in no time, and maybe a star somewhere down the line.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 04:38:27 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

So is this kid so I suppose we shoulda drafted him then. 

http://thespiritscience.net/2016/05/13/this-8-year-old-boy-describes-our-third-eye-brainwashing-tv-programs/

It must suck to be you.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
I'm super stoked to see Jaylen Brown in green. He's the guy I wanted at #3. I didn't buy the Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield or Dragan Bender hype nor did I want to trade the pick for Noel.

I've always thought this kid had the full package and I've very happy to see him here.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Reading this article on him:  https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

At the very least, he's the most interesting prospect we've had in years. 

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Brown is a good pick . ...good as any .  He may be a decent player in a few years .....after LeBron retires.

We could have brought in better players now .......what a HUGE kick in the plums as a fan

Wyc and Danny were drunk when that mess went down.

There should never been any picks ......all should have went to upgrade the team and put quality help for IT on the floor .

SMH

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Reading this article on him:  https://theundefeated.com/features/jaylen-brown-the-2016-nba-drafts-renaissance-man/

At the very least, he's the most interesting prospect we've had in years.

Wow even better...Thanks!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Have there been ANY positive tweets from any of the current Celtics in regards to these picks? I saw plenty of other teams tweeting support for their new players. Haven't heard of one for the new Celts. I am not on Twitter so I don't know - I am just asking.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Have there been ANY positive tweets from any of the current Celtics in regards to these picks? I saw plenty of other teams tweeting support for their new players. Haven't heard of one for the new Celts. I am not on Twitter so I don't know - I am just asking.
I don't really follow them on twitter, but I imagine some of those guys might be worried Jaylen will take their spot.