Author Topic: One thing bother me all day: Why DA didn't try to get the #8 from Sac?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Chriss worries me because of lack of effort, rebounding, defensive intensity, motor, bbiq.  What makes him an okay pick where he was taken at #8 is purely the athleticism. 

But I'm content with Zizic, I feel that kid is what we need, a tremendous rebounder, 6'11, and willing to do the dirty work defensively, boxing out, grabbing boards etc.  Could be like a younger Joakim Noah for us.  And Noah in his prime was a beast.

As for Yabu, that pick took me by surprise, I thought he's be available with one of our second round picks.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There was a chance Brown woulda been there at 8. We could drafted Dunn at 3 and Brown at 8. All speculation but it's not far fetched.

It could also have been Murray that was BPA at #8. If our entire draft was Dunn and Murray, two more guards who have to make the roster and have to get paid top-10 salaries, that would be good? We'd have too many guards *and* send our #8 pick to Maine, or waste Rozier etc.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
As an aside, the Kings now have 5 bigs: Cousins, Koufos, Cauley-Stein, Papagiannis, and Labissiere. Cousins has complained on social meda. Can we get something done here?

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
2017 Nets first plus salary for Cousins?  Maybe after the trade moratorium is officially lifted.

Question - super talented, but would Cousins fit in with our lockerroom?  Seems like a bit of a complainer and a coach's headache.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As an aside, the Kings now have 5 bigs: Cousins, Koufos, Cauley-Stein, Papagiannis, and Labissiere. Cousins has complained on social meda. Can we get something done here?

Papagiannis is a potential draft and stash candidate.  I don't think they seriously consider trading Cousins until they see how he does under the new coach, unless he has something like a domestic abuse incident.

If he becomes available, I expect the asking price to be a minimum of the Nets pick swap and the 2018 Nets pick next summer for a one-year rental.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Everything the C's did at the draft is consistent with them not wanting to make salary commitments beyond this year in order to save cap space for summer 2017. 

If you trade up to 8 and draft Chriss you commit millions in salary for 17-18 because he is not going to draft and stash. 

If you trade for Noel you are committing millions in lost cap space for 17-18 because he will have a cap hold following 16-17. 

They traded #31 and #35 probably to avoid having to give out contracts larger than league minimum to those early 2nd round picks, see the Mickey deal last year, which would have resulted in some lost cap space for summer 2017.

The C's drafted only guys they could draft and stash at #16 and #23 saving cap space for 2017 summer.

It probably hurt them to go this route but I believe it to be the right choice.  Passing on Chriss at #8 might have pained them.  Any other year maybe they take Labissiere or another non Euro stash at #16 or #23.

If something crazy happens like Durant wanting to come to Boston this summer they can always change course but saving as much cap as possible for summer 2017 has always been probably the best and most likely outcome.