Author Topic: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon  (Read 12627 times)

Re: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2016, 05:26:08 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Geesh, it's not like we had the #8 pick, took a high risk/high reward player in Criss and then immediately turned him around for Georgios Papagiannis (13); Skal Labissiere (28); 2020 second-round pick; draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (No. 27, 2014).

Or that we traded for a lanky stretch-4 with questionable skills after drafting one 23 minutes earlier. (Criss, Bender).

Let's face it - the C's had the #3 pick in a 2 player draft and how have tremendous cap space in a year that almost every other team can sign a max player contract free agent.

We picked a bad year to get lucky

I disagree that it was two player draft and the Celtics are still a top team or at least one of the top teams for free agents to consider
If you mean that more than two good players will emerge from this draft, I agree with you. But happens every year, players picked lower excel.  But that's not what the saying means. 

In this case, the consensus on the two top players was universal.  And then their was a divide.  There were probably as many as five players that could have gone #3 depending on the team drafting.  And their may be a star that emerges from that group; we just don't know who it is.

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2016, 05:29:46 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think we were an overachieving team with a great coach and a 5'8 inch all star in a very bad conference. Honestly, we are not much better maybe a little worse, talent wise, than some of the lotto teams.

Ditto

Tp my friend
Surprised at how the general feeling about this team seems to be so negative. We won 48 games, and were the youngest team in the entire playoffs. It's shocking to me that people feel this way after watching the team win so many games.

Maybe people don't place a high value on the level of defense we play, which is the driving factor behind us winning so many games. Maybe people just love big names, I wonder how many that feel that way think the Knicks will be better next year.

What exactly were the Celtics' key needs going into the draft?

Shooting, and an inside presence, if you believe the pundits.

Neither were addressed last nigh
t - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

In free agency and in the trade market.

The onus is now on Ainge and Grousbeck to produce and pay the freight for addressing those weaknesses in those markets.

If they fail, I'm sure the same fusillade of excuses that have accompanied last night's dismal draft will be trotted out again by the Ainge Green Team.
Man, I'm so glad you're no the GM.  Hey buddy, this isn't the NFL where teams gear up to try and compete every year.  Where there is a great deal of turnover and minor holes are refilled annually.

The NBA is a completely different animal; a completely different process.  I will explain to you what DA is doing (and stop me if you've heard this before).  He is collecting assets.  Picking players that he likes with the idea of reorganizing when the opportunity arises.  Screw the current team or next year. 

Now, you may believe there was a better player at #3 (and that is your prerogative).  But I'm going to trust the guy that gets paid to do the job.
TP

And another from me.

and another from me

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Also saying he will keep exploring the trade market, even before the start of FA. 'Back on it today'

Remind me again why I should attach any credibility to the above statement.

Back to handing out Tommy Points to the people who get it, and laughing at the Ainge apologists.

It's tough being right - about Danny Ainge's drafting ineptitude.

I am so glad he is running our franchise and not you.

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Also saying he will keep exploring the trade market, even before the start of FA. 'Back on it today'

Back to handing out Tommy Points to the people who get it, and laughing at the Ainge apologists.

I am so glad he is running our franchise and not you.

his job is to explore trades and FA, not to sit around doing nothing. Give him credit where credit is due! He hasn't really built a championship team from scratch...ever! He took over the team in 04 and started gutting the team like he is now but got lucky when we traded for KG/Ray to get us 17. This is his first REAL rebuild with no luck involved. Let's be patient. I say when we really started competing was last year, Smart's rookie season. So we're going onto year 3. So far, I say our team is playing very well with no superstars.

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja

You don't believe Ainge was exploring the trade market last night?  Strange.
the ever unimpressed coach bo
still haven't heard any proof from him (or anyone taking his side) that he's ever been right about anything.  just seems to take it for granted.

Says the guy with no attention span.
nm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2016, 06:42:09 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
You guys need to get off the ledge man.  U deserve ML Carr.  DA is the best thing happened to this franchise since Red drafted Larry.

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Ainge showing a lot of confidence there in Brown, saying that if he had stayed in school he'd likely be the #1 pick next year.

Yeah, and I believe that he also said that, had he stayed in school, James Young would have been a top 10 pick in 2015, as well ::). Give me a break.

This is a sentiment echoed throughout the Celtics organization. They subscribe to the belief that Young would be a lottery pick this year -- likely inside the top 10 -- if he had stayed for his sophomore season at Kentucky (and, for his part, Young is certain the Wildcats would have won a national title if he had stuck around).

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719574/james-young-working-to-silence-the-doubters

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:06 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

still haven't heard any proof from him (or anyone taking his side) that he's ever been right about anything.  just seems to take it for granted.

now that the draft is over he wants dunn, but he wouldnt tell us that before.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Is there a podcast or some sort where I could listen to this interview? I completely missed the whole thing...

It was short but sweet..
1. Any trades that reported were completely fabricated and nothing was close
2. Knew if he drafted Dunn he could still potentially get a deal done. However he didnt "want to get stuck with Dunn".
3. Going into FA hes not just going to throw money around (Barnes) but also he knows he has to spend money.. He will be very aggressive on all tiers.

:o Yeah, who would ever want to get 'stuck' with Kris Dunn (sarcasm) ::). Wow, this just keeps getting better and better (sarcasm).

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

He actually stated that at least a few times before the draft, but whatever ::).

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Media leaking stuff about Ainge wanting Noel and this and that. Noel was enough, Danny.

Ainge has a problem--he aims too high. Same deal with Butler. Stars in his eyes.

Lower your aim, Danny. Get better.

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I still can't fathom not starting our #3 pick. Who cares about next season?

I realize that this will never happen, but imo, of the players we selected last night, the only rookie who should start next year is Bentil at the 4 spot.  He's easily better than any of our big guys, imo.

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

He actually stated that at least a few times before the draft, but whatever ::).
idk about that. everytime he would bash danny for making the "wrong moves", i would ask him who he would prefer to have. i never got a response.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think we were an overachieving team with a great coach and a 5'8 inch all star in a very bad conference. Honestly, we are not much better maybe a little worse, talent wise, than some of the lotto teams.

Ditto

Tp my friend
Surprised at how the general feeling about this team seems to be so negative. We won 48 games, and were the youngest team in the entire playoffs. It's shocking to me that people feel this way after watching the team win so many games.

Maybe people don't place a high value on the level of defense we play, which is the driving factor behind us winning so many games. Maybe people just love big names, I wonder how many that feel that way think the Knicks will be better next year.

What exactly were the Celtics' key needs going into the draft?

Shooting, and an inside presence, if you believe the pundits.

Neither were addressed last nigh
t - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

In free agency and in the trade market.

The onus is now on Ainge and Grousbeck to produce and pay the freight for addressing those weaknesses in those markets.

If they fail, I'm sure the same fusillade of excuses that have accompanied last night's dismal draft will be trotted out again by the Ainge Green Team.
Man, I'm so glad you're no the GM.  Hey buddy, this isn't the NFL where teams gear up to try and compete every year.  Where there is a great deal of turnover and minor holes are refilled annually.

The NBA is a completely different animal; a completely different process.  I will explain to you what DA is doing (and stop me if you've heard this before).  He is collecting assets.  Picking players that he likes with the idea of reorganizing when the opportunity arises.  Screw the current team or next year. 

Now, you may believe there was a better player at #3 (and that is your prerogative).  But I'm going to trust the guy that gets paid to do the job.

TP

Hield and Murry were the shooters in this draft. Murry is a couple years out, but Hield is ready, but who is he replacing? AB, Smart? Bender was the big man, but he's at least 2 to 3 years out. Maybe Chriss, but same issue as Bender.

Plus our needs can be met with FA. Yeah it's a long shot landing some of them, but why waste roaster spots on a player that is 2 to 3 years out. Brown at least can get minutes just on his D. You add some vets like Dudley, Parsons. That helps shooting. Horford, Gasol, Noah helps with the bigs. And Durant....Helps with EVERYTHING! LOL

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2016, 09:23:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

idk about that. everytime he would bash danny for making the "wrong moves", i would ask him who he would prefer to have. i never got a response.
agreed.  never saw a pro-Dunn post before the draft.  always posts questioning who he wanted but no response.  would have comments on Bender being a mistake and Danny sucking at his job and Wyc sucking as an owner