Author Topic: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon  (Read 12583 times)

Re: Danny Ainge to be on WEEI at noon
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think we were an overachieving team with a great coach and a 5'8 inch all star in a very bad conference. Honestly, we are not much better maybe a little worse, talent wise, than some of the lotto teams.

Ditto

Tp my friend
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Also saying he will keep exploring the trade market, even before the start of FA. 'Back on it today'

Remind me again why I should attach any credibility to the above statement.

Back to handing out Tommy Points to the people who get it, and laughing at the Ainge apologists.

It's tough being right - about Danny Ainge's drafting ineptitude.
You don't believe Ainge was exploring the trade market last night?  Strange.
the ever unimpressed coach bo
still haven't heard any proof from him (or anyone taking his side) that he's ever been right about anything.  just seems to take it for granted.

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2016, 04:09:50 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Also saying he will keep exploring the trade market, even before the start of FA. 'Back on it today'

Back to handing out Tommy Points to the people who get it, and laughing at the Ainge apologists.

You don't believe Ainge was exploring the trade market last night?  Strange.
the ever unimpressed coach bo
still haven't heard any proof from him (or anyone taking his side) that he's ever been right about anything.  just seems to take it for granted.

Says the guy with no attention span.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think we were an overachieving team with a great coach and a 5'8 inch all star in a very bad conference. Honestly, we are not much better maybe a little worse, talent wise, than some of the lotto teams.

Ditto

Tp my friend
Surprised at how the general feeling about this team seems to be so negative. We won 48 games, and were the youngest team in the entire playoffs. It's shocking to me that people feel this way after watching the team win so many games.

Maybe people don't place a high value on the level of defense we play, which is the driving factor behind us winning so many games. Maybe people just love big names, I wonder how many that feel that way think the Knicks will be better next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

So, let me see if I understand....and trust me understanding you is not an easy thing at all. You're basically saying that Ainge isn't trying to make trades? Is that what is behind this....he had trades out there that he didn't make? Trades that were obvious? He just didn't pull the trigger, is that it? Was it the Butler and the Middleton trades that he passed on?
Again, just trying to understand.

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2016, 04:18:21 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Ditto

Tp my friend
Surprised at how the general feeling about this team seems to be so negative. We won 48 games, and were the youngest team in the entire playoffs. It's shocking to me that people feel this way after watching the team win so many games.

Maybe people don't place a high value on the level of defense we play, which is the driving factor behind us winning so many games. Maybe people just love big names, I wonder how many that feel that way think the Knicks will be better next year.

What exactly were the Celtics' key needs going into the draft?

Shooting, and an inside presence, if you believe the pundits.

Neither were addressed last night - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

In free agency and in the trade market.

The onus is now on Ainge and Grousbeck to produce and pay the freight for addressing those weaknesses in those markets.

If they fail, I'm sure the same fusillade of excuses that have accompanied last night's dismal draft will be trotted out again by the Ainge Green Team.

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

So, let me see if I understand....and trust me understanding you is not an easy thing at all. You're basically saying that Ainge isn't trying to make trades? Is that what is behind this....he had trades out there that he didn't make? Trades that were obvious? He just didn't pull the trigger, is that it? Was it the Butler and the Middleton trades that he passed on?

This question is barely worth a reply, given the disengenuity of ignoring the multiple times that Celtics officials have talked grandly about "fireworks" and then come home with nothing, last night being only the latest example including prior drafts, trade deadlines, etc.

I guess the story of the little boy who cried wolf has truly faded from the national consciousness, eh?

But then, you and others remind me again, as you invariably do, that it is far more important to be loyal to Ainge and Grousbeck - how dare anyone question either? - than it is to actually hope they might speak the truth and make a serious effort to improve what used to be the proudest NBA franchise. There's just no place left on the Green Team any more for a connoisseur of championship basketball. Sad.

I'm glad Auerbach didn't live to see this. He probably would be threatening to go to work for the Knicks again.

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2016, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Ditto

Tp my friend

Neither were addressed last night - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

The onus is now on Ainge and Grousbeck to produce and pay the freight for addressing those weaknesses in those markets.

If they fail, I'm sure the same fusillade of excuses that have accompanied last night's dismal draft will be trotted out again by the Ainge Green Team.
I don't agree that the draft is the time to take care of needs. You should never count on rookies to fill a need. I am hoping they add shooting and an inside presence in free agency. If they don't I won't be happy but that doesn't mean the team is doomed.

Completely agree that Wyc needs to shut his mouth. His fireworks comments have given people unrealistic expectations.

Completely agree that those are the weaknesses. However, people on here who saying we are close to a lottery team are over stating those weaknesses. The weaknesses you listed are what is preventing the C's from winning 55 games, not what makes them close to a lottery team.

Out of curiosity, who would you have liked in the draft? I know you think Ainge's draft record is suspect, so I'd like to know what moves you would have liked him to make.

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 04:33:38 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Geesh, it's not like we had the #8 pick, took a high risk/high reward player in Criss and then immediately turned him around for Georgios Papagiannis (13); Skal Labissiere (28); 2020 second-round pick; draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (No. 27, 2014).

Or that we traded for a lanky stretch-4 with questionable skills after drafting one 23 minutes earlier. (Criss, Bender).

Let's face it - the C's had the #3 pick in a 2 player draft and how have tremendous cap space in a year that almost every other team can sign a max player contract free agent.

We picked a bad year to get lucky

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Ditto

Tp my friend

Neither were addressed last nigh
t - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

Man, I'm so glad you're no the GM.  Hey buddy, this isn't the NFL where teams gear up to try and compete every year.  Where there is a great deal of turnover and minor holes are refilled annually.

The NBA is a completely different animal; a completely different process.  I will explain to you what DA is doing (and stop me if you've heard this before).  He is collecting assets.  Picking players that he likes with the idea of reorganizing when the opportunity arises.  Screw the current team or next year. 

Now, you may believe there was a better player at #3 (and that is your prerogative).  But I'm going to trust the guy that gets paid to do the job.

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Ditto

Tp my friend

t - at all - which leads us to rely on a GM with a darkening draft record and an owner prone to making wild public statements he has no intention of honoring, presumably to sell tickets to the gullible, to address those two glaring weaknesses.

Man, I'm so glad you're no the GM.  Hey buddy, this isn't the NFL where teams gear up to try and compete every year.  Where there is a great deal of turnover and minor holes are refilled annually.

The NBA is a completely different animal; a completely different process.  I will explain to you what DA is doing (and stop me if you've heard this before).  He is collecting assets.  Picking players that he likes with the idea of reorganizing when the opportunity arises.  Screw the current team or next year. 

Now, you may believe there was a better player at #3 (and that is your prerogative).  But I'm going to trust the guy that gets paid to do the job.
TP

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 04:45:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Geesh, it's not like we had the #8 pick, took a high risk/high reward player in Criss and then immediately turned him around for Georgios Papagiannis (13); Skal Labissiere (28); 2020 second-round pick; draft rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic (No. 27, 2014).

Or that we traded for a lanky stretch-4 with questionable skills after drafting one 23 minutes earlier. (Criss, Bender).

Let's face it - the C's had the #3 pick in a 2 player draft and how have tremendous cap space in a year that almost every other team can sign a max player contract free agent.

I disagree that it was two player draft and the Celtics are still a top team or at least one of the top teams for free agents to consider

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

I disagree that it was two player draft and the Celtics are still a top team or at least one of the top teams for free agents to consider

I didn't say that we are a top destination for free agents. C's positioned themselves to have a massive amount of cap space long before the new TV deal was in place. The salary cap jump made that strategy moot.

As for it being a 2 player draft, we can disagree on that.

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

This question is barely worth a reply, given the disengenuity of ignoring the multiple times that Celtics officials have talked grandly about "fireworks" and then come home with nothing, last night being only the latest example including prior drafts, trade deadlines, etc.

I guess the story of the little boy who cried wolf has truly faded from the national consciousness, eh?

But then, you and others remind me again, as you invariably do, that it is far more important to be loyal to Ainge and Grousbeck - how dare anyone question either? - than it is to actually hope they might speak the truth and make a serious effort to improve what used to be the proudest NBA franchise. There's just no place left on the Green Team any more for a connoisseur of championship basketball. Sad.

I'm glad Auerbach didn't live to see this. He probably would be threatening to go to work for the Knicks again.

You don't question, you just pan as if you know more than all others here. And as for fireworks, I'm sure Ainge was ready for them as evidenced by his wanting to spend 4 firsts for Winslow last year would attest. But it takes two to make a deal.....I don't think you get this part....and if it's not there then it's not there. If that's the case you make the best picks you think you can. That's what they did. And they're betting on teenagers.....teenagers are not finished products....so why not let them play before you blast everyone.
Lastly, Red lived through plenty of lean years with the Celtics....he never gave up hope and he never blasted his management. And he is the one that recommended Ainge for his current position. So, ease up. You're not the only living Celtics fan.

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Ditto

Tp my friend

TP

And another from me.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers