Author Topic: Free agency Plan C?  (Read 4667 times)

Free agency Plan C?
« on: June 24, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If there's no KD/Horford, or KD/any other combination, how would you feel if free agency brought Whiteside and Ryan Anderson? 

Consider:

1) We should have about $37 million in cap space if we keep Amir and Jerebko, and let the other free agents walk.
2) We need 3-point shooting and interior defense.
3) We need players at the 4 and 5.

If Whiteside gets the max ($22 mil in year 1), Ryan Anderson could get the remainder of the cap room (about $15 million in year 1.)

This means we could return a better version of last year's team.  There's probably a downgrade with Rozier and Brown taking Turner's minutes, but it might not be huge, and it benefits giving both of those players opportunity to develop in NBA games, as well as giving Smart more opportunity to run an offense.  And it means we're replacing Zeller and Sullinger with Whiteside and Anderson, which is unquestionably an upgrade.

The roster could look like this:

PG: IT, Rozier, Jackson
Wings: Bradley, Smart, Hunter, Young
Swings: Crowder, Brown, Jerebko
Stretch Bigs: Anderson, Olynyk, Bentil
Interior Bigs: Whiteside, Amir, Mickey

(I realize that's 16 players.  There would presumably be a camp death match between Hunter, Young, Mickey, and Bentil, with the loser off the team.  My gut says James Young loses, but I like the idea of training camp battles.)

I freely admit that's not a title club.  But it's another step forward, returning most of the key elements of a 48-win team, and offering some significant improvements on some departures.  It also offers development time for young players to carve out larger roles for themselves if they earn it.  It should allow us to create separation between us and the 3-8 crowd.  Indiana might take a jump next year, but if DeRozan leaves, Toronto could fall.  And if we get Whiteside, that should knock Miami down a rung as well.

Furthermore, it leaves enough cap space for a max player next summer to join, after Amir and JJ depart.  Alternatively, it means we still have their very tradeable, expiring contracts to strike on a major trade this year.

Would this be a team you could get behind, as another step forward?  Or if this is the best we can do without Durant, do you still want to blow it all up?

Re: Free agency Plan C?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:47:20 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'll be happy with Dudley and a center.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I wouldn't touch Whiteside with a 39 and a half foot poll. He is not going to be worth what he gets paid
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Problem is New York and Brooklyn don't they both have over 55 mil to spend? The city in itself is enough to attract some players. I hate to say it buy NY now has more of a star nucleus than we do with Rose, Porzingis, Carmelo. We have IT and Coach Stevens and a lot of role players and projects. Brooklyn has a bonafide center in Lopez.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
I would go hard at Derozan ...

Guy is a legit scorer that the team needs..

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I prefer Jerebko to Ryan Anderson.

Ryan Anderson is just too limited outside of three point shot.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:52 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I wouldn't touch Whiteside with a 39 and a half foot poll. He is not going to be worth what he gets paid

TP. Thinking of Whiteside makes me bitter.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

TP. Thinking of Whiteside makes me bitter.  ;D

I kinda like Whiteside but not sure he fits this team. Have to change the defensive system to best utilize his defensive talents. Non-passer on offense. Clogs the paint. Not sure he is worth the effort and expense.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Keep AJ, Trade JJ, Offer 7-9 million for a one year deal with Stat. Wait till next year AGAIN.

IT/Rozier/Jackson
AB/Smart/Hunter
Crowder/Brown/Young
AJ/Mickey/Bentil
KO/Stat/Zizic

Stash Yab and Nader.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Fire Ainge

And

Tank.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 12:39:27 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Fire Ainge

And

Tank.

You want to tank to improve the Nets pick next year?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
What about Bazemore? 

He's 27 years old, shot 44 percent and 34 percent from 3.  He's in the top 20 of free agents.  Could he come as a package with Horford, if we lose out on KD.

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Fire Ainge

And

Tank.

You want to tank to improve the Nets pick next year?

Well thought out plan!

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Use cap space to trade for guys already under contract terms. Shorter term investment. Leverage the cap space to buy low and/or acquire assets.

A guy like Greg Monroe, for instance.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Fire Ainge

And

Tank.
Not sure if this is a joke, but tanking this year is really really dumb because we own the nets swap. Last year we heard a few people say we dont need to tank because the Nets are tanking for us, but this was flawed logic because if we tanked we would get 2 great picks which is obviously better than 1 great pick. Now if we tank this year it doesnt matter. We only get one pick. Id also be impressed if a Brad Stevens coached team would succesfully outsuck the Nets this year. Also in order to do that youd be forced to sell off IT AB and Crowder and presumably lose value there because you are in a rush to trade them and then youd also have to sacrifice the Nets Swap effectively devaluing 4 of our 6 real assets (Smart and Jaylen)

so in conclusion. Absolutely terrible idea. Makes exponentially more sense to sign Amir type guys run it back this year with the young guys playing bigger roles and let your improved roster hopefully guide you deeper into the playoffs then reevaluate next offseason with a ton of cap space the Nets swap and a core that is still young.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.