Author Topic: This was "Not" a Win-Now Draft  (Read 3794 times)

Re: This was "Not" a Win-Now Draft
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 06:48:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Neither is it a win-later draft. 

I see these ridiculous threads as a reaching attempt to give Danny another pass, something he's been getting forever.  He brought us a championship 10 years ago, whoopty doo.  It's time to move on and hold him up to his decision as the GM of the team.

Anyone wants to bet we don't win a championship in the next 7 years?

Fab Melo, JJJ, Young,...haven't you had enough?

Make the f'ing deal and get the team what it needs.  Do your f'ing job, Danny.

Rondo, Avery Bradley, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Big Baby, Kendrick Perkins, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Sullinger,...why do you guys who criticize Danny's drafting focus on the few guys who bombed instead of the many more guys who have good, some even great, NBA careers?

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think it's both.  It's a win now and for the future.  All the guys we drafted are not major projects. They are rookies even still and some can help  more than others.  But most of the guys ainge drafted are physically ready for the nba and mentally.  They have development ahead of them for sure. I think it's a great draft that way. 

It may be a few years before jackson becomes a great roleplayer for us etc or is even here. Who knows what will happen as far as trades etc but I see his future.  A lot of these guys can contribute now and in the future.

Saying it's "Not" a win now draft is wrong. Those are your words not mine though.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2016, 06:52:25 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

I see these ridiculous threads as a reaching attempt to give Danny another pass, something he's been getting forever.  He brought us a championship 10 years ago, whoopty doo.  It's time to move on and hold him up to his decision as the GM of the team.

Rondo, Avery Bradley, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Big Baby, Kendrick Perkins, Delonte West, Leon Powe, Sullinger,...why do you guys who criticize Danny's drafting focus on the few guys who bombed instead of the many more guys who have good, some even great, NBA careers?

Don't forget JR Giddens & Marshon Brooks  ;D

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:11 PM »

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Bottom line, trading that pick for Noel or Okafor would have been a better move, and the front office tried to get cute & got burned for it.

Now, as result, we have zero chance to sign Durant. 

We would have been better off over-paying for Butler, and keeping the 10% chance of teaming him with Durant alive.
That's the thing. If you overpay for Butler, and sign Horford Durant would have been facing the possibility of signing with a very very good team with TWO years in a row of top 5 picks.

But now we can't know because the office wussed out.

But we pretty clearly would have had to gut out team to sign Butler and who knows if Horford would ever come to Boston?

Mike

If Danny knew 100% for certain that Horford and Durant were to follow if we overpaid for Butler, guess what, we'd have Butler right now!  But obviously that's not how it went down.  Danny would be dumb to massively overpay for Butler just at a slight chance of signing Horford just for a slight chance of signing Durant.  If that doesn't work out we've ruined our team.  Can't rely on signing Horford and Durant to justify a big overpay for Butler.

@eja you don't think there's any chance of us getting to 50 wins this year, the Nets being in the bottom 3 again?  Because that would certainly put us in the position to trade for a star and/or sign a star and attract Durant next year wouldn't it?  Right now I'm hoping Durant signs a 1 year deal so we get another crack next year.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Because most of the guys you just mentioned are a very very very long time ago

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2016, 07:25:40 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Guys you cannot BUY a championship.. Name a team that did not have a cornerstone piece who went out and made a trade and became A champion?  Can you name 2 or 3 times that this has happened... ever?

You have to build through the Draft.. You have to get a piece and ADD pieces to that Piece whether through the Draft or FA..

No GM worth a [dang] overpays for second Tier player and then Crosses their fingers in hopes that a top Tier player will come join them..

And if you think Okafor (the black hole) or NOEL (Ibaka but not really) or Covington (Waiters) or Kevin love (Kevin Love) would be attractive to KD then you are completely off your rocker.

Every consistent Team with a Real chance at a title has a player THEY drafted leading the way..

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:00 PM »

• Brad Stevens

For what it's worth, let's start in 2003:

2003: Perk (27), Brandon Hunter (56)

2004: Big Al (15), Delonte (24), Tony Allen (25), Justin Reed (40)

2005: Gerald Green (18), Ryan Gomes (50), Orien Greene (53)

2006: (7) traded for Telfair

2007: (5) traded for Rayray, Gabe Pruitt (32)

2008: J.R. Giddens (30), Semih Erden (60)

2009: Lester Hudson (58)

2010: AB (19), Luke Harangody (52)

2011: JJJ (27), Etwaun Moore (55)

2012: Sully (21), Fab Melo (22), Kris Joseph (51)

2013: Olynyk (13)

2014: Marcus Smart (6), James Young (17)

Few disclaimers: I may have missed picks that other teams made for us.  I did not rate the picks that we traded for NBA players, and it would have been a wash anyway with Telfair being a bust but Garnett obviously being a stud.  Marcus is an orange only to be conservative, I believe he is actually a green.  Stopped before 2015 because we don't know yet on Terry/RJ/Mickey and obviously no 2016.

After typing this and before I post it to see what the colors actually look like on the page, I would say there's a lot of red but most of it is in the 2nd round or LATE first.  Seemed like the mid first rounders Danny batted around .500 which is what I'd expect most GMs to bat if they've had as many years drafting as Danny. 

Obviously this isn't exact because in reality there's different shades of red and green.  I'm not putting this out there to argue anything, just wanted to see what it would look like and what people's opinions were.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

For what it's worth, let's start in 2003:

2006: (7) traded for Telfair

Few disclaimers: I may have missed picks that other teams made for us.  I did not rate the picks that we traded for NBA players, and it would have been a wash anyway with Telfair being a bust but Garnett obviously being a stud.  Marcus is an orange only to be conservative, I believe he is actually a green.  Stopped before 2015 because we don't know yet on Terry/RJ/Mickey and obviously no 2016.

After typing this and before I post it to see what the colors actually look like on the page, I would say there's a lot of red but most of it is in the 2nd round or LATE first.  Seemed like the mid first rounders Danny batted around .500 which is what I'd expect most GMs to bat if they've had as many years drafting as Danny. 

Obviously this isn't exact because in reality there's different shades of red and green.  I'm not putting this out there to argue anything, just wanted to see what it would look like and what people's opinions were.

TP for this display. It really is very good. Thanks.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2016, 08:14:55 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I'm a strong advocate of letting vets and underwhelming sophomores go, plug in Jaylen, and brings the Euros over for on court experience this season. Youth movement.

+1, Danny's picks need to sink or swim.

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Re: hodgy

Probably should have included Rondo since he is the best player Danny has 'drafted'. I get that we purchased the pick, but for all intents and purposes, it was Danny's selection.

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 08:28:50 PM »

• Brad Stevens
Re: hodgy

Probably should have included Rondo since he is the best player Danny has 'drafted'. I get that we purchased the pick, but for all intents and purposes, it was Danny's selection.

Yup you're right and that was a big one to miss.  But those are the one's I forgot about because they aren't readily available on wiki or in my memory :)

Updated for future use:

2006: (7) traded for Telfair, Rondo (21)

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'm not sure what the highlighting is supposed to mean. Moore and Gomes were were/are decent contributors in the NBA for some period of time -- which is more than you expect from players picked after 50.

Of the first round picks, everyone but Melo, Young, Giddens and JJJ was some degree of rotation players. That's 10 of 14 by my count, which is a pretty good achievement, given that exactly 3 of these picks were made in the lottery, and a whooping 8 were in the 20-30 range.

That's a pretty good record in my book.

::) ::) ::)

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2016, 08:39:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I definitely think this draft was very flawed. DA stock piled picks and then screwed himself by not being able to make deals that maximize all his efforts. Also his roster / coach the last two years failed to incorporate the young players enough. And that last sentence is basically something DA himself said. Had they put the young guys more into the rotation they could of had value and been dealt or they could be cut with no worries. Either would open up more flexibility with this draft. Instead team traded 31, 35 when decent value, arguably 1st round value was there at both picks. And also they reach on a guy at 16 because they knew that player would stay overseas another year. The draft could have been a home run instead it's seriously lacking.

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Semih Erden was productive during the his time with the C's and they also drafted Marcus Banks back in 2003 (13th pick)

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »

• Brad Stevens
I'm not sure what the highlighting is supposed to mean. Moore and Gomes were were/are decent contributors in the NBA for some period of time -- which is more than you expect from players picked after 50.

Of the first round picks, everyone but Melo, Young, Giddens and JJJ was some degree of rotation players. That's 10 of 14 by my count, which is a pretty good achievement, given that exactly 3 of these picks were made in the lottery, and a whooping 8 were in the 20-30 range.

That's a pretty good record in my book.

::) ::) ::)

I went super conservative so as not to argue the haters that's why Moore is red. 

Gomes I flat out did not realize the numbers/years he ended up with (5 years of avg. at least 27 min/game, 4 of those he averaged 11 pts 9 boards).