Author Topic: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)  (Read 31688 times)

Re: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2016, 05:28:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Im not forgetting about Brown at all. I have accounted for him. No reason to forget about him. At some point you are going to have to do something about the AB Crowder pairing. Im moving toward getting rid of Crowder and Rosier to balance the roster.

I dont see any reason why you wouldnt take a SF the caliber of Tatum or Jackson. I dont see a glut at all. I see a team that has a bunch of small guards and Smart playing the 3 at times. Tatum can easily play the same role as Jerebko plus I dont see Crowder being a starter next to Bradley long term anyways. They are too limited as a pair.

This team needs to be much more dynamic on the wing so I dont hesitate to take a wing at all.
Seems like you are forgetting about Jaylen Brown. A SF who can't play the 4 doesn't add much positional value.

« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 373
Im not forgetting about Brown at all. I have accounted for him. No reason to forget about him. At some point you are going to have to do something about the AB Crowder pairing. Im moving toward getting rid of Crowder and Rosier to balance the roster.

I agree, they can play together, but from a perspective of putting together a championship team, I don't think it's ideal.  Ideally we need a 4/5, not a 2/3 because we are already deepest from 1-3.  But, to just be talking about this for trading the corpses of Pierce and KG, we have to all be thrilled.

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I agree we need a 4/5 but we also need a star 2/3. AB in my mind is a keeper. Brown can develop to be that go to player on the wing. Crowder is a starter if you have a dominant scorer at the 2 which we dont have. With that being said I think you make him a backup or trade him and start whomever you draft or Brown.

This team really lacks guys who can create shots. Our last 3 min of a game are set plays for Horford or AB or IT creating for everyone.

I agree, they can play together, but from a perspective of putting together a championship team, I don't think it's ideal.  Ideally we need a 4/5, not a 2/3 because we are already deepest from 1-3.  But, to just be talking about this for trading the corpses of Pierce and KG, we have to all be thrilled.

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
anyone else liking Miles Bridges?

This guy is a monster and undersized for a PF, but can shoot the 3 and has the bounce/length to make up for being a bit shorter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pr6adHBlG8

Patton is another guy to keep any eye on. I could see him going top 7 or 8 pretty easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3g93iHHzo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:01:38 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
https://theringer.com/the-ringers-2017-nba-draft-lottery-big-board-version-2-0-446c31b6a473#.aun59ekol
not too complementary on Giles.

Its spot on with Giles however many of these answers wont be had for weeks from now. Nothing new here to be honest with you. If you watched him early games after he came back he looked very similar. Slow on D not great explosiveness. Elite understanding of rebounding. Fast forward 6 months and you see what he looked like at the U19 tourney. Im not saying I know he will get back to his old self or if has long term medical issues. At this point no one does.  What Im saying is that Im taking a wait and see approach and looking for things that resemble what he was.

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
https://theringer.com/the-ringers-2017-nba-draft-lottery-big-board-version-2-0-446c31b6a473#.aun59ekol
Thanks for posting that. TP. Good info in that article.

Patton is another guy to keep any eye on. I could see him going top 7 or 8 pretty easily.

That article was the first I have heard of him. Hard to believe he is not a top 5 pick. He has got a lot of talent.

« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2017, 05:43:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'll be honest. This is the first time I've heard of Justin Patton, but his stats and impact on the game are impressive. I'm keeping an eye on him.

He'll be 20 in June.

He looks a little less explosive than KAT or Embiid at the same age, but more advanced offensively.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:53:35 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237

I like Patton....a lot....lottery pick, I think. I started a thread on him a while ago, but got no responses...oh well. People will know him soon enough.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88499.0

EDIT: I also started including him a week ago when Creighton plays on the updates in the Draft "Prospects on TV today" thread:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=87727.210

This kid has just had two breakout games vs 'Nova and St. Johns.

He's a red-shirted freshman and will be 20 in June, but he could be a gem.

He plays today at 2:00 on CBSSN for Creighton. He is opening some eyes.

This from draftexpress:

ulian Applebome takes a closer look at Justin Patton's 18-point, 8-rebound, 2-block performance against then-undefeated and #1 ranked Villanova.

The 19-year old redshirt freshman big man has been a revelation for top-ten ranked Creighton so far this season, averaging 20 points, 10 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and 1.5 steals per-40, in 25 minutes of action. He's shooting an outrageous 76% for 2 thus far, and is even 5/8 from beyond the arc.

While Patton was very much an under the radar prospect coming into Creighton, a product of his late-blooming status in high school and subsequent decision to redshirt his first year, his combination of size, athleticism, budding skill and upside is is extremely interesting in the long term. While his frame is still a ways away from being NBA ready, he is already starting to draw quite a few looks from NBA teams and will continue to do so if he keeps producing like this over the next few months.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Patton-7310/

And this lengthier article from the Big East web page:

He is near unstoppable in the paint. He gobbles up rebounds like he’s picking apples off a tree (and at seven feet tall, there would be no need for a ladder). He blocks shots, misdirects countless others, is a dunking machine and, from time to time, even steps out to bury the occasional three pointer.

He is a blossoming nightmare for the BIG EAST, a godsend for Creighton and one of the more exciting young players you’ll see anywhere in the nation. Meet Justin Patton, the Bluejays’ freshman big man, who until just a few short years ago was a relative unknown on the amateur basketball circuit.

“He reminds me of Marcus Camby,” St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin said after Patton lit up the Red Storm for a career-high 25 points with nine rebounds in Creighton’s 85-72 victory Wednesday night at Carnesecca Arena. “(He has) great hands and even banged a three. Especially tonight, he looked All-NBA.”

Camby, the former UMass star, went on to enjoy a 17-year career in the NBA with the Raptors, Knicks, Nuggets, Clippers, Trail Blazers and Rockets.

Mullin knows a thing or two about quality players so his endorsement carries considerable weight. But just three seasons ago Patton was an unknown commodity, toiling at Omaha North High School, just a stone’s throw from Creighton’s campus. But by the end of his senior season, Patton, now seven inches taller, turned into a five-star prospect and a top-50 recruit. But Creighton head coach Greg McDermott was the only one who saw the potential early on and kept close tabs on the neighborhood kid.

Now in his first season with the Bluejays after redshirting last season, even McDermott is a little surprised at how far Patton has come in such a short time.

“He might even be surprising himself,” said McDermott, now in his seventh season as head Bluejay. “We saw Justin as a junior in high school (and) to see his growth in just a few short years is incredible. A lot of it is because he loves the game. (But) he willingly takes coaching and his teammates trust him and that’s not often the case with a freshman. But they know they can throw it up 12-13 feet and he’s going to go get it and get them an assist instead of a turnover. He continues to just get better. Nothing surprises me because I’ve seen the potential in him for a long time.”

How much of a problem is Patton for opponents to defend? Well, he came into the game against St. John’s ranked third in the nation in field goal percentage (74.3%) and then proceeded to go 11-of-14 from the field against the Johnnies. And dunks? Yeah, he had five of them to give him 39 jams for the season through just 15 games. That’s already the second-most career dunks by a Creighton player since 2010-11 as he trails only Greg Echenique’s 90 dunks for the school record. Creighton has 16 regular-season games remaining before the BIG EAST Tournament so, Greg, enjoy the record while you still can.

“He’s a big guy, has multiple moves and we didn’t have an answer for him,” St. John’s stellar freshman Shamorie Ponds said. “He’s a great player.”

So how does a 7-0 center dribble and pass like he’s an oversized guard, as he did with his perfect alley-oop pass on a Marcus Foster jam Wednesday night?

“I was a guard (in his younger days) but I wasn’t really that good at shooting. I was just chucking shots,” Patton said with a laugh. “But I got taller and people started telling me I was a post (player) but I didn’t believe it at first. But we worked on those (low post) moves in practice and coach did a great job of putting me in certain situations in drills where I could develop and become the player I am today.”

Patton even comes equipped with a rather cool nickname, “Big Muddy.” He was given the moniker by the father of freshman guard Davion Mintz, who compared Patton to the Missouri River.

Now with all of 15 games under his collegiate belt, “Big Muddy” has scored in double figures 13 times, including his career-best outing vs. St. John’s. But when asked how much more of a ceiling Patton has, McDermott had some rather chilling words for the rest of the BIG EAST.

“Justin’s best basketball is still ahead of him,” McDermott said. “He continues to grow and improve. A lot of it has to do with his work ethic and how he’s understanding the value of competing on a consistent basis. As good as he was offensively the first half (vs. St. John’s), he was equally as good defensively. That wasn’t the case the first five or six games of the season. (But) his low post game continues to develop. His patience down there and his footwork are really off the charts. He’s been a pleasure to coach and he’s obviously a special talent.”

It seems unthinkable now that Patton, with the Marcus Camby comparisons and an explosive start to his Creighton career, had just one lone suitor coming out of Omaha North.

“Creighton. That was it,” Patton said. “They had been seeing me for a long time because I’m from Omaha and I played in their camp for a long time. So they knew me.”

When asked how long it took him to decide to commit to McDermott and the Bluejays, Patton flashed his smile once again.

“Instantly,” he said. “I don’t think it was even 30 seconds.”

So while coaches at brand-name schools across the country are kicking themselves for missing out on a game-changing big man, Patton, as grounded a player as you’ll find, seemed more thankful to Creighton for taking him than the school was for recruiting him.

“I would say the doubt was solely on me like, ‘Was I good enough?’ But then I (grew) seven inches and I automatically qualified for the job,” Patton said laughing. “But I’ve been playing really good and it’s all from feeding off my teammates. You see when the lights go on, Marcus and Maurice (Watson Jr.) are just ready to go. Nothing fazes them, so when I see they’re ready, then we’re ready and that’s been our plan.”

The plan, with Big Muddy in the middle of it, appears to be working quite nicely for the 14-1 Bluejays, currently ranked 10th in the nation. Fifteen regular-season games left. Fifteen more opportunities to see the next big thing in college basketball.

“We’re lucky to have him,” said McDermott in the understatement of the year.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:05:53 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2017, 01:25:10 AM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2017, 11:50:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
2016-2017 highlights part 1 of some of the top prospects of the 2017 draft. TP to this Frankie vision guy

Josh Jackson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHlZItLilk

Tatum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxT8KNFMrIg

Monk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raI289rAYbE

Fox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMH191CYkfw

Ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Rml643HyA

Fultz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7yQVboNIO8

Yeah between Frankie Vision on those guys, and Tomasz Kordylewski giving us Zizic/Yab highlights from abroad, we have an amazing wealth of coverage.

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2017, 12:29:47 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
The highlights are great, but I find I get a different impression watching the game, a sense of how they play with the team.