Author Topic: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)  (Read 31687 times)

Re: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 07:54:24 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Youtube just told me to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RU2GFrq58A

Not sure if others have seen it yet, but it's pretty exciting. Jackson looks to have the potential to be an absolute beast. Giles, too -- his knee injuries are unfortunate, but if he passes medical evaluations, he would be an incredible get. And then Fultz and Smith Jr.? Jesus. In BKN we trust.

things i noticed:
1) a draft class of insane athletes, ironically my favorite Jayson Tatum is probably the least athletic
2) great wing depth
3) Markelle Fultz's poise and ballhandling is why i think he's going number 1. Not even considering his shooting and great athleticism.

How good a shooter is Fultz? Not impressed with his athleticism--he doesn't really dunk at all in the half court, not the best first step, mix tape is full of floaters and pull-ups. If he's an elite shooter I'll buy the #1 hype, but with so much depth at PG across the league, it's tough to stand out if you're not an impressive athlete.

I also like Tatum a lot. I wonder if he's as good from 3 as he is from mid-range though.
None of the top guys are good shooters. Giles Jackson Smith Fultz even Tatum.

The only good shooter(purely based on DX) is Isaac who they have going late lotto.

I thought Tatum's calling card was his mid-range game? He's not a special athlete and he's apparently a bad passer, so if he isn't a good shooter, he might not be a lottery pick. Lonzo Ball is a good shooter and I'm surprsed he doesn't get any top-5 play. Sick combo of PG skills + shooting + size, and based on their mixtapes I think he's as athletic as Fultz.

I think this class is overrated at this stage. It seems like theres about six or guys who would've been in the conversation for #2 or #3 in 2016, but that isn't too different from 2014, and meanwhile there's no obvious #1 like pre-injury Embiid, KAT or Simmons. Let's see how these guys perform in college.

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Youtube just told me to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RU2GFrq58A

Not sure if others have seen it yet, but it's pretty exciting. Jackson looks to have the potential to be an absolute beast. Giles, too -- his knee injuries are unfortunate, but if he passes medical evaluations, he would be an incredible get. And then Fultz and Smith Jr.? Jesus. In BKN we trust.

things i noticed:
1) a draft class of insane athletes, ironically my favorite Jayson Tatum is probably the least athletic
2) great wing depth
3) Markelle Fultz's poise and ballhandling is why i think he's going number 1. Not even considering his shooting and great athleticism.

How good a shooter is Fultz? Not impressed with his athleticism--he doesn't really dunk at all in the half court, not the best first step, mix tape is full of floaters and pull-ups. If he's an elite shooter I'll buy the #1 hype, but with so much depth at PG across the league, it's tough to stand out if you're not an impressive athlete.

I also like Tatum a lot. I wonder if he's as good from 3 as he is from mid-range though.

The only good shooter(purely based on DX) is Isaac who they have going late lotto.

I thought Tatum's calling card was his mid-range game? He's not a special athlete and he's apparently a bad passer, so if he isn't a good shooter, he might not be a lottery pick. Lonzo Ball is a good shooter and I'm surprsed he doesn't get any top-5 play. Sick combo of PG skills + shooting + size, and based on their mixtapes I think he's as athletic as Fultz.

I think this class is overrated at this stage. It seems like theres about six or guys who would've been in the conversation for #2 or #3 in 2016, but that isn't too different from 2014, and meanwhile there's no obvious #1 like pre-injury Embiid, KAT or Simmons. Let's see how these guys perform in college.

Neither Embiid or KAT were #1 prospects at this stage either.  Way too soon to pass judgment on this draft class.

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

things i noticed:
2) great wing depth

Neither Embiid or KAT were #1 prospects at this stage either.  Way too soon to pass judgment on this draft class.

KAT was a top 2-3 pre-season pick.  He leap frogged over Okafor during the season. Was already ranked very high.

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2016, 12:22:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

things i noticed:
2) great wing depth

I agree it's too soon to pass judgement. Several talented players who could break out in college, or who could disappoint. I think that the class has received a lot of hype, and I hope it lives up.

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Know its early and it could be bad angles in videos but I think Josh Jackson's shoots too far in front of his body/ very low release point.

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2016, 04:55:03 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Just saw the latest from NBADRAFT.NET, has the Brooklyn pick now at #8.  I don't think they're that good, but if it falls there, is that considered a bust?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Yes but not completely. I actually think the top 7 is where the elite talent is. 8 - 12 you might find some good players. I would like top 5 but at 8 you can still find a player that can help you move closer to a title but for sure that would hurt.

Also, I dont see how this pick ends up at 8 by seasons ends.

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2016, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just saw the latest from NBADRAFT.NET, has the Brooklyn pick now at #8.  I don't think they're that good, but if it falls there, is that considered a bust?

1) Because 3 games have been played and 1-2 is good for 8th-worst.  So it'll be lower.
2) While not as exciting as a top 3 pick or a top 5 pick, the 8th pick still is a very nice asset, either in trade or in adding to a playoff team.

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2016, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
no way

We're in gravy town

Anywhere in the lottery for the next two drafts is good, imo
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:02 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Just get Giles or Markennan or that 6'10 PF mocked to be a high draft pick in nbadraftnet
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Have to believe that Grayson Allen is going to free fall now after yet the third tripping incident:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/columnist/nicole-auerbach/2016/12/21/acc-needs-to-suspend-grayson-allen-tripping-flopping/95727274/

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Is there any word on the controversial draft "tiers" yet?

It seems like the first seven or eight guys (jackson, ball, fultz, giles, smith, tatum, isaac, and fox) seem to be about all on the same level, i base that on absolutely nothing of course..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Big decisions to make for Danny if the player he drafts (bpa) is another pg

Even he knows you cant have that many guards(pgs) in one roster

« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Have to believe that Grayson Allen is going to free fall now after yet the third tripping incident:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/columnist/nicole-auerbach/2016/12/21/acc-needs-to-suspend-grayson-allen-tripping-flopping/95727274/

He is a serial tripper. Like Suarez with ear biting.. these guys need counselling lol