Author Topic: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)  (Read 31869 times)

2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)
« on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford-

NBA teams are already starting to prep for the 2017 draft, and they love what they see.

Many think 2017 will be one of the strongest drafts in the past decade.

Let's look at the five hottest names and the top storylines to come.

1. Josh Jackson

Kansas
Guard/forward
Freshman
6-foot-8, 202 pounds

Jackson is an athletic, dynamic wing who excels on both ends of the court. His combination of length, athleticism and motor is outstanding. He's also a very good and willing passer who displays a terrific basketball IQ. He has a nose for the ball on both ends.

You'll find few players in this draft -- or any draft -- who play with his competitive fire at such a young age. He already looks like he's a consistent jump shot away from being a superstar in the NBA.

2. Harry Giles

Duke
Forward
Freshman
6-11, 222

Giles is Jackson's top competition for the No. 1 pick. Had Giles not suffered two knee injuries (one in the summer of 2013, the other in the summer of 2015), he'd be the consensus No. 1. It shows just how special he is that despite those two injuries, he's still ranked this high by most scouts.

That's in part because you can't teach Giles' combination of size (6-foot-11, 7-foot-3 wingspan), athleticism, motor and overall feel for the game. He's got Chris Webber-esque talent. If he can show at Duke that he has bounced back from his injuries, he'll make a strong case for the No. 1 pick.

3. Markelle Fultz

Washington
Guard
Freshman
6-5, 186

Fultz is a late riser who has become the consensus top point guard prospect thanks to his combination of size, versatility and overall feel for the game. He's a smooth operator who can find a terrific balance between scoring the basketball and getting others involved.

Several scouts think he's a more athletic version of Kentucky's Jamal Murray.

4. Jayson Tatum

Duke
Forward
Freshman
6-8, 204

Tatum looks the part of an elite NBA wing, the same way guys like Rudy Gay and Harrison Barnes did. He's got size, an NBA body, great athleticism and a refined midrange game.

However, his inconsistent 3-ball and lack of intensity on the court has hurt his stock a bit. The tools are there, but much as with Gay and Barnes, the fire seems to be missing at times.

5. Lonzo Ball

UCLA
Guard
Freshman
6-5, 195

Ball is one of the more unique prospects to come along in a while. He's long and athletic and he has some of the best court vision I've ever seen in an 18-year-old guard. He also has a penchant for launching Steph Curry-esque 3s.

Ball averaged a triple-double (26 PPG, 13 APG, 11.5 RPG) as a high school senior. He's part Shaun Livingston (before the injury), part John Wall (super-fast ) and part Curry (with a much uglier but still fairly effective jumper). Whether he becomes as good as those players or not, those are his comps.

If UCLA coach Steve Alford lets him play the way he's comfortable playing, he could end up in the top three by draft day.

Storylines to watch

Before we reveal our initial 2017 Top 100 -- which will debut in a couple of weeks -- here's a look at four key storylines:

1. This is a very strong freshman class

Freshmen continue to have a huge impact. NBA commissioner Adam Silver is trying to change that, but for now, one-and-dones are the true stars of the draft.

In 2016, five freshmen -- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Jamal Murray and Marquese Chriss -- went in the lottery. In 2017, we are projecting a whopping 12 college freshmen -- Jackson, Giles, Fultz, Tatum, Ball, Kentucky's De'Aaron Fox and Edrice Adebayo, Florida State's Jonathan Isaac, Arizona's Terrance Ferguson, North Carolina State's Dennis Smith and Omer Yurtseven and Texas' Jarrett Allen -- for the lottery.

Several other freshmen -- Duke's Marques Bolden and Frank Jackson, Kentucky's Malik Monk, Michigan State's Miles Bridges and Arizona's Lauri Markkanen -- are possible first-rounders as well.

Clearly the numbers are there. But how about the quality? Yes, that, too. I think only Simmons and Ingram would've cracked the top 10 in 2017. That's impressive.

2. The sophomore and junior classes look depleted

Only a small handful of talented players decided to skip the 2016 draft and return to college. Just about all with a shot at the first round threw their hat into the ring, thanks in part to the strength of the incoming freshman class. Only one returning college player -- Cal's Ivan Rabb -- will be in the first edition of our top 15 for next year.

However, there are a number of interesting returning players -- including Syracuse's Tyler Lydon, Indiana's Thomas Bryant and OG Anunoby, Kansas' Carlton Bragg, Duke's Grayson Allen, USC's Bennie Boatwright, San Diego State's Malik Pope and SMU's Shake Milton -- who could all end up in the middle of the first round or possibly higher with excellent seasons.

3. We should have a solid crop of international prospects

The 2016 international draft class was very strong. Overall, a whopping 14 international players went in the first round.

The 2017 international class doesn't look as strong, though Frank Ntilikina, a 6-foot-5 point guard from Belgium who took the Basketball Without Borders Camp by storm at the All-Star break, might end up being the best point guard prospect in the draft and a likely top-10 pick.

Germany's Isaiah Hartenstein and France's Jonathan Jeanne are other potential lottery picks. Latvian wing Rodions Kurucs, Belgium's Kosta Mushidi and Slovenia's Blaz Mesicek are other potential first-rounders.

4. Point guards and small forwards rule the draft

In 2017, point guards take five of the 10 spots in our top 10. That's welcome news for NBA teams who have seen a dearth of point guards in the draft the past several years.

Overall we have seven point guards, nine small forwards (including three in the top five), six power forwards, five centers and three shooting guards in our top 30.

The hunt for elite centers will be especially difficult this year. We don't have one center ranked in the top 10 right now.

Draft pick inventory

Another key as we assess the 2017 draft: Who has their picks, who has multiple picks and who is out of the draft?

The Sixers will have another shot at landing that Lakers pick. The Lakers will be making significant moves to improve this summer, which should give the Sixers a much better chance of landing the selection. It remains top-three protected in 2017. If the Sixers don't get the Lakers' pick in 2017, it becomes unprotected in 2018.

The Celtics could end up landing another high lottery pick via the Nets. They own the right to swap picks again (and own Brooklyn's pick outright in 2018 as well). Unless the Nets make significant improvements this summer via free agency, this could end up being another top-five pick for Boston.

The only team that is completely out of the draft next year is the Golden State Warriors -- both of their picks go to the Jazz. However, several teams might have to give up picks, depending on their records.

Here's a look at other first-round picks in 2017 that could be on the move.

The Sixers own the Lakers' pick (if it falls between Nos. 4-30) and the ability to swap picks with the Kings if Sacramento's pick falls inside the top 10.

The Celtics can swap first-round picks with the Nets.

The Nuggets get the Grizzlies' pick if it falls between Nos. 6-30.

The Bulls get the Kings' pick if if falls between Nos. 11-30.

The Magic will get the Sixers' pick if it falls between Nos. 12-30.

The Raptors own the Clippers' first-round pick if it falls between Nos. 15-30.

The Jazz own the Warriors' first- and second-round picks.

The Hawks own the Wolves' pick if it falls between Nos. 15-30.

Jonathan Wasserman-

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2646856-2017-nba-draft-way-too-early-big-board

Now that a somewhat iffy 2016 NBA draft is complete, there's no time to waste on the (just-completed) past.

This projected 2017 class could be legendary.

Unlike the outgoing field, next year's offers potentially tremendous star power at the top, with three to four prospects who could qualify as quality No. 1 overall picks.

Teams will also be looking at a handful of promising upperclassmen who returned after testing waters this past May. Between projected one-and-dones and expected breakout sophomores, juniors and seniors, 2017's field could be one of the strongest in recent memory.

1. Josh Jackson (Kansas, SF, 2017 Freshman)
Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Top-notch athleticism and versatility powers Jackson to the top.

At 6'8", he's a high-flying wing, automatic in transition, who's flashed some ball-handling and facilitating ability. An above-average passer for a small forward, Jackson can also hit the three or put the ball on the floor and loft up a floater before traffic.

His defensive potential is equally attractive. Jackson should ultimately earn the label as top two-way prospect in next year's draft, which could be loaded with talent.

There is a little Tracy McGrary in here, and Jackson's likely to play the same role at Kansas that Andrew Wiggins did a few years back.

2. Harry Giles (Duke, PF, 2017 Freshman)
Gregory Payan/Associated Press
Giles would be No. 1 if it weren't for a second ACL tear. With a perfect basketball body (6'10 ¾", 222 pounds, 7'3" wingspan) and the bounce to go with it, he has the chance to be one of the game's top frontcourt athletes.

He's an easy-bucket machine above the rim, and he can play with his back to the basket or facing up from the foul line and short corners. Giles will be a volume rebounder at both the college and NBA levels too. Like any teenage big man, he just needs to work on his jumper and ball skills.

A freshman season that erases Giles' injury history from scouts' memory could put him in position to go No. 1 next June.

3. Markelle Fultz (Washington, PG/SG, 2017 Freshman)
He'll start at No. 3, but don't be shocked to see Fultz finish top-two by this time next year. A 6'5" combo guard, he offers the full package of lethal scoring and crafty playmaking.

And with Andrew Andrews (20.9 points, 4.9 assists), Dejounte Murray (16.1 points, 4.4 assists) and Marquese Chriss (13.7 points) no longer in the picture at Washington, Fultz is going to put up monster numbers—especially if the Huskies play at the second-fastest pace in the country (per Kenpom.com).

There is a little D'Angelo Russell in Fultz's game, only the incoming freshman possesses more speed and bounce.

4. Dennis Smith (North Carolina State, PG, 2017 freshman)
A torn ACL doesn't knock Smith out of my top five. Assuming he gets back to full strength, we're talking about a Derrick Rose-type athlete, where he acts as a scoring point-guard playmaker.

Smith offers the full package: Attacking, pull-up shooting, passing, pestering defense. He's a bit reckless and erratic, but not enough to sound the alarms.

Teams will naturally be focused on his knee, but if the injury becomes a thing of the past, expect Smith to draw star comparisons and generate top-five NBA draft buzz.

5. Jayson Tatum (Duke, SF, 2017 Freshman)
With 6'8" size and fluid athleticism, Tatum already looks the part of NBA wing. He's developed a polished half-court scoring arsenal that includes step-backs, pull-ups and fallaways out of the post. His ability to generate mid-range offense will likely draw comparisons to small forwards like Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce and Jabari Parker.

The only concern: Tatum takes a lot of tough two-point jumpers.

That said, having just watched him live at the Jordan Brand Classic practices and game, his talent and exceptional skill level couldn't be more obvious.

DX top 5 rankings-

1. Giles

2. Fultz

3. Tatum

4. Jackson

5. Frank Ntilikina   

Re: 2017 NBA Draft (Early Looks)
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:37:45 AM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
These guys all look like future stars in high school.  The last two "great drafts" this decade simply did not deliver so excuse me if I don't get too excited.

But TP for the find.  Thanks.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
ha, ha...the fires are still smoldering on this year's draft and already we can begin to drool and gloat over next year's terrific draft.

thank you danny!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
In 2017, point guards take five of the 10 spots in our top 10. That's welcome news for NBA teams who have seen a dearth of point guards in the draft the past several years.

I know we shouldn't look too far ahead, but assuming the room was split between Brown and Dunn this is a little tidbit that makes me feel better about going with Brown.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wow, no "Who cares, Danny's just gonna screw up as always" comments yet?  Color me surprised
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
My top 3 are Jackson, Smith, and Giles.  All have question marks though. For Smith and Giles the major concern is injuries. For Jackson I think he's old for his class but he does everything. Very good class i don't know if it's legendary. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 10:47:48 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't with this.  Not yet.

Another year of watching Brooklyn hoping they will yield the franchise savior.

Ah well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Wow, no "Who cares, Danny's just gonna screw up as always" comments yet?  Color me surprised

It's more like it's going to be a three-man draft, and inevitably we'll get the fourth pick lol

I don't really have a problem with Brown. I didn't think all that highly of any of that tier (other than Chriss, though I understand why we didn't pick him), so Brown, Hield, Murray, Bender, etc. didn't really matter to me.

I just think there were deals available that we should've jumped on that didn't happen -

1) the Noel deal we should've done;

2) we should've got Chriss from the Kings for peanuts.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
We better not trade the 2017 Nets Pick for only 1.5 years of Cousins.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It's more like it's going to be a three-man draft, and inevitably we'll get the fourth pick lol

I don't really have a problem with Brown. I didn't think all that highly of any of that tier (other than Chriss, though I understand why we didn't pick him), so Brown, Hield, Murray, Bender, etc. didn't really matter to me.

I just think there were deals available that we should've jumped on that didn't happen -

1) the Noel deal we should've done;

2) we should've got Chriss from the Kings for peanuts.

Hey, this isn't Celtics lottery luck we're playing with, it's Brooklyn's.  All indications are that they have some decent luck.  As long as they suck, we should be okay
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Just to make sure, the Celtics swap with Brooklyn in the first round.

And in the second round, the Celtics have Minnesota's, the Clippers, and the Cavs picks.

Is that correct?

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Hey, we've got two more years of this.  We might as well look at the 2018 mock draft.   ;D

1 DeAndre Ayton   C   6-11   Bahamas   A man among boys. Has big upside but has a long way to go to develop into his potential. Tim Duncan
2 Wendell Carter Jr.   PF   6-9   GA   Fundamentally sound with a soft touch around the rim. Has good length and nice hops. Al Horford
3 Kevin Knox   SF   6-8   FL   High flying athlete who can really shoot the ball. Has a chance to be special. Tracy McGrady
4 Jarred Vanderbilt   SF   6-8   TX   Versatile and powerful forward with an improving perimeter game and nice play-making ability. Thad Young
5 Mohamed Bamba   C   7-0   NY   A rim protector and high level defender with intriguing upside.
6 Michael Porter   SF   6-10   MO   An advanced offensive talent with great length for a wing. Smooth shooter with deep range. Mike Dunleavy
7 Billy Preston   PF   6-10   TX   Long, quick forward who can score the ball from three levels.
8 Jordan Tucker   SF   6-8   NY   A sweet shooting forward with NBA range. Doug McDermott
9 Zach Brown   C   7-1   UConn   Massive center with intriguing upside but a lot of development left to do. Andrew Bynum
10 Tony Bradley PF 6-10 UNC Has a massive 7-4 wingspan and the ability to change the game on both ends of the floor.

It's tiring constantly rooting against the Nets as a Celtics fan.  It must suck to actually be a fan of the Nets.   ;D

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
My favorite prospect in the draft based on a cursory look is Frank Ntilinka. Big and super long PG with awesome court vision and an elite handle, elite 3 position defender, good athlete. Could be a 6'5 version of Rajon Rondo with a decent jump shot.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 10:40:32 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Hey, we've got two more years of this.  We might as well look at the 2018 mock draft.   ;D

1 DeAndre Ayton   C   6-11   Bahamas   A man among boys. Has big upside but has a long way to go to develop into his potential. Tim Duncan
2 Wendell Carter Jr.   PF   6-9   GA   Fundamentally sound with a soft touch around the rim. Has good length and nice hops. Al Horford
3 Kevin Knox   SF   6-8   FL   High flying athlete who can really shoot the ball. Has a chance to be special. Tracy McGrady
4 Jarred Vanderbilt   SF   6-8   TX   Versatile and powerful forward with an improving perimeter game and nice play-making ability. Thad Young
5 Mohamed Bamba   C   7-0   NY   A rim protector and high level defender with intriguing upside.
6 Michael Porter   SF   6-10   MO   An advanced offensive talent with great length for a wing. Smooth shooter with deep range. Mike Dunleavy
7 Billy Preston   PF   6-10   TX   Long, quick forward who can score the ball from three levels.
8 Jordan Tucker   SF   6-8   NY   A sweet shooting forward with NBA range. Doug McDermott
9 Zach Brown   C   7-1   UConn   Massive center with intriguing upside but a lot of development left to do. Andrew Bynum
10 Tony Bradley PF 6-10 UNC Has a massive 7-4 wingspan and the ability to change the game on both ends of the floor.

It's tiring constantly rooting against the Nets as a Celtics fan.  It must suck to actually be a fan of the Nets.   ;D

Lol poor nets fans. Speaking of massive wingspans, Mohamed Bamba's wingspan is 7'8.  When he dunks with two hands he cocks the ball back and it almost touches his butt...

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sounds ok. Didnt ford say the same mumbo jumbo about the 2016 class?

Jackson only a consistent jump shot away? Everything about him sounds like Jaylen Brown